Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just picked up my 2.0ti 146 and they told me that it failed because lambda reading was; 7.3.2b. and the same for carbon monoxide and hydrocarbon. The tester said he could try and fit a new cat but that might not cure it!. They are talking telephone numbers for the work etc and I feel as if I should scrap the car which upsets me!. Any ideas? as the car is a perfect runner.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Mine failed really bad on emissions, one problem was because the lamda sensor was totally fudged!

Even when it was replaced it failed again, so the garage I took it to put 2 bottles of injector cleaner in it and it passed with flying colours!!

If everything mechanical is sound, try putting the best injector cleaner in it you can find, I think the mechanic said it was £10 a bottle and he put x2 bottles in.

Also, before you drive it to the the test garage, take the car out for an "itallian tune up", in other words drive it hard for a couple of miles (taking it right up through the revvs (6500k mark), that should clean out any junk in the engine and works a treat, works just the same for diesels aswel.

Mot testing places usually give you a free re-test if you go back within a certain period of time, is this the same for you?

Regards

·
Registered
363 Posts
Use some forte engine flush - put in old oil, tickover for half hour, change oil and filter, bottle of forte gas treatment and injector treatment in a 1/4 tank of fuel and a good thrash will sort it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Agree with all the above. Mine was the same this year on my 96 cloverleaf. Turned out to be the lambda, wont be the cat. Tried all the usual, Redex, Wynns and Forte injector cleaners and no joy if the lambda is fudged. How's your fuel economy?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes it does seem to be using a lot of fuel but I put that down to the increasing petrol charges in the last 2 years. The MOT station just wanted to replace everything at a cost of over £500! because I'm personaly causing global warming and killing polar bears!. So a new Lambda is a sensor then?

·
Registered
38,290 Posts
When My 145QV failed its emissions I fitted a new generic lambda sensor from ebay for £18

The car then passed with flying colours.

You are probably better off buying a genuine sensor though as it will plug straight in with no cutting and soldering of wires.

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Yes it does seem to be using a lot of fuel but I put that down to the increasing petrol charges in the last 2 years. The MOT station just wanted to replace everything at a cost of over £500! because I'm personaly causing global warming and killing polar bears!. So a new Lambda is a sensor then?
Yes, only Lambda, around £60 fitted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts