Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am thinking I would like to put a V6 into my Cloverleaf to make an interesting show car and a fast occasional track car. I know this has been done a couple of times, the GTA engine in Germany and a 164 engine into a 146ti here. Both those projects sound a bit beyond my skills, I'm okay with a socket set but am no engineer. So I was wondering if there is an easier route. I originally thought of a 2.5 from a 156, but there is the issue of the fly by wire throttle. So now I think the easiest option would be a 12 valve 2.5 from a 155.

Your thoughts please.

Thanks.

PS. I know you can put Lancia and Fiat Coupe engines in but that's not for me, I am now addicted to the V6 sound.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Sounds like a big job whichever way you cut it...?
My preference would be the 5 pot turbo from a coupe but the 155 v6 would sound and look awesome...
Would it make the nose heavier though and potentially ruin the handling?

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I think putting the V6 in the engine bay is the hard bit. A lot of auto electric people could splice the V6 engine management and 146 lighting/ dash looms together.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
not sure to be honest, i forgot about the turbo bit :) i would imagine it would be the same physical dimensions though, otherwise it would need a lot of bespoke parts over the 3 and 3.2 versions. mind you, it is alfa we're talking about :lol: so who knows.........

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First choice is normally aspirated v6 (for the noise), second choice would be to tweak the existing twinnie but still normally aspirated.

145, 155 and 156 all have pretty much have the same front end - Fiat Tipo? By this I mean the body shell not the suspension. So surely bolting it into the engine bay can't be that hard. I thought the technical difficulties would be connecting it up, power steering, driveshafts, clutch, gear linkage, engine management, etc.

Re: the handling. I realise it will make the car more nose heavy, but it's for trackday use not racing and on trackdays your not allowed to overtake on bends. I just wanna burn neds off on the straights:lol:

·
Registered
13,245 Posts
There was a fella who crammed a v6 (164) into a '45.. it was in the AROC magazine and Auto Italia. I recall the engine did fit in there but he did have some hassle.

I think as you say, the engine room is big enough but the '45 bonnet wasn't designed for a v6, so you might have clearance issues. Almost certainly the driveshafts etc. won't all line up either but you never know... :D

I just happen to have a 155v6 and a 145.. :D I'll stick my tape measure in there over the weekend and see if there's any obvious show-stoppers.. but just from "feel" I think the 155 engine bay is deeper.. the '45 is pretty full even with just a 1.8 in there...

Ralf S.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The 164 v6 project was LisaBeetle threads are on here. Do the 3 and 3.2s have a deeper sump than the 2.5?

There is quite a bit of room between the front of the engine and the radiator in a 145.

I think the drive shafts would line up okay, I think it's the length of the shafts that would be the issue.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm following this with interest, not planning on a v6 myself but it's always good to see different things being tried :cool:

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I might have found the answers:

3ltr V6 Engine - Alfa Romeo 145 - 146 Forum

Combination of 155 mounts, suspension, driveshafts and radiator with a 156 engine sounds the ideal combo for me. But gearbox is also a tricky choice, 155 box is easier because of speedo, but a 6 speed 156 box would allow a Q2 to be fitted.

This might happen.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've found a thread on the 155 forum that says a Q2 will fit in any v6 box including the 5 speed so a 155 engine and box is back in as a contender.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There's lots of good stuff about swapping engines on alfa155.org. Having read lots of it have concluded newer 24 valve versions are a lot of work to fit. The ideal donor would be an early 3L 12 valve GTV or Spider, but I think it might be hard to find one that is fit for breaking. The best alternative to that is a 155 with the 2.5L 12 valve, which would then get bigger crank, pistons/liners and valves. So either way the target will be 3L with 5 speed box and Q2 and somewhere from 190 to 200bhp - think that should be fast enough.

All dependant on my Alfasud reaching it's reserve on Ebay in the next few days.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I think as you say, the engine room is big enough but the '45 bonnet wasn't designed for a v6, so you might have clearance issues. Almost certainly the driveshafts etc. won't all line up either but you never know... :D

I just happen to have a 155v6 and a 145.. :D I'll stick my tape measure in there over the weekend and see if there's any obvious show-stoppers.. but just from "feel" I think the 155 engine bay is deeper.. the '45 is pretty full even with just a 1.8 in there...

Ralf S.
The 145 146 and 155 all share the same chassis as the tipo, that means all the mounting points are THE SAME, this also means anything that fits one will fit another.

If you get everything from the donor vehicle it will bolt straight on.

Same goes for fiat coupes and GTV, it's like having a bolt on kit.

How much of a lower bonnet line do you think a GTV has over a 145? all the V6 stuff fits in there easily.

·
Registered
573 Posts
It has been said that the 145, 146 and 155 all share the same platform, so engine swaps are easiar. I suppose the 156 is a diferent, newer platform.
How much harder does that diference makes to use a 2.5 V6 from the 156 instead of the 2.5 V6 from the 155 ?
By the way, did this project get started ?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No I never did it. 145/155/156 do all have the same platform so the bolt in of the oily bits should be straight forward. The easiest route is to use the front end of a 155, but you don't gain a huge amount by doing that - except for the glorious sound. If you use a later 156 to get a more powerful engine then things start to get more complicated. It's not just the engine you need to bolt in. You have wiring loom, gear linkage, ABS, Speedo, rev counter, etc. It's because of all that they I decided to go for a tuned twin spark instead, which I hope to build over the winter for fitting early next summer.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to explain. Some also write about the GTV's 3.0 V6, but i suppose it isn't easier, and they are way harder to find.
Hadn't heard of V6 engined 145's until i got to the forum, and just went 'wow' !
But with that twin spark you will win in the handling department, imho. It's a much lighter engine..

1 - 20 of 33 Posts