Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all..:thumbs:

I'm new to this forum and to my Alfa 145 Quadrifoglio 2.0..I've had it for 5 months.

I hope someone has some insight for me...:)

I really enjoy the car and it's in outstanding nick!
I have a concern though, the car revs really well, even with a "powerband" at around 4500rpm and then carries on until about 6000 rpm where it all of a sudden feels as though someone is tugging on the back of the car and it doesn't rev as well anymore, although it will rev until the redline but not cleanly....
The problem isn't really forthcomming in 1st to 2nd but 2nd to 3rd and thereafter you can really notice it.
I must say when the weather is colder the problem doesn't seem to be as bad?

Thanks in advance for reading this :thumbs:

BK

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
I would suspect the MAF, which measures airflow into the engine, at lower temps the air is more dense and the car will have more power anyway, so masking the problem a bit.

HTH

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Again, MAF +1

·
Registered
89 Posts
MAF +3, unplug the MAF and it'll pull like a train, won't idle nicely but ignore that. Get a new one ordered, piece of cake to replace but make sure you buy a genuine bosch and not a china cheapo.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've used 1 tin of oil in 6 000km's which I think is great!

Thanks for the tips guys.
I asked a friend of mine who is an Alfa mechanic and he said it's normal RPM behaviour for this car as the torque tapers off around 5750rpm...?

BK

·
Registered
89 Posts
Your friend is wrong. This car has variable valve timing, at 5,500 rpm the next stage kicks in all the way to 7krpm, if you're in huddersfield i'll take you out in mine to demonstrate!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update

Thanks for the tips guys.

I tried unplugging the MAF but I can't, I don't have any experience with Alfa engines...yet. :lol:

Any tips on how to unplug the MAF.. maybe I should try cleaning it first once I've unplugged it?

Thanks again:)

BK

·
Registered
89 Posts
Do you know where it is? That's the first question!

Just simply pull the connector out of the top, might need a little flat bladed screw driver to get it off but don't be too rough with it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the tips guys!! :thumbs:

I have had the MAF replaced at an independent Alfa workshop.

What a difference it pulls cleanly all the way to the red line :D

Thanks again :thumbs:

BK

1 - 14 of 14 Posts