Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

My new 1998R 145 Cloverleaf has developed (surprise surprise) a couple of little nigly faults, the first of which being a rusty panel on the drivers side just slightly in front of the rear side windows. The paint was bubbling slightly when I bought the car about 6 weeks ago; now a bit of over attention with the hosepipe seems to have taken a 2" chunk of paint off, revealing a nice bit of rust.

Surely someone else has seen this, as the other side of the car is not far off bubbling either. The panel is the height of the rear windows and 1-2" wide, finished in slightly glossy black paint. If it is common, does anyone know how to tackle removing the panel, and where the best place for a replacement is.

Awaiting suggestions....

Andy

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Don think you should be getting rust. My 145 is a 96 and there isnt even a hint of any rust. Alfa have been doing 8 year anti-rust warranties on all models since about 95/96 I think. I wonder if that panel was somehow damaged rust got in. Are you sure it isnt a cut and shut?!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the rest of the car is immaculate and the paint is as new, just these two panels (which are only tiny).

Do you think then that I could get an Alfa dealer to have a look at it under warranty? It's pretty clear to see that both sides have the same problem.

·
Registered
8,688 Posts
Might be worth a go.Depends on how fussy they are.Some insist that the car has been annually inspected.Where did you get the car from?Any comeback there?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I havent heard of any rusting on late 145s or any late alfas for that matter. Somethings not quite right. Get it checked by a dealer and see what they say. May be worth calling alfa romeo uk and asking them about the rust warranties. A 98 rusting 145?? Strange.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I had the same on mine...had it reprayed when I got my bumpers done. I've seen it on a few other's ....not that there's many 145's to compare it with

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad its not just mine then. I take it you didn't investigate the Alfa dealer rust warraty first though.

You had your bumpers sprayed body-coloured - sounds like a bright idea. Did it look much better?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
It looks miles better than the black plastic. Plus the non color coded bumper are bigger than the later models so it's a nice unique touch. look in the image lounge for a shot of the back bumper.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts