Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys.

I'm not that new to AR ownership. However considering to buy another one I newer owned before. I'd like to hear your opinion and advices on the following.

Currently deciding between a very nice 33 1.7 8V and a 145 QV. Both are in a pretty good shape however 33 is 4 times cheaper with all the main service already done on it. 145 QV will need a cambelt replace and spark plugs and a lambda probably soon as well (covered 177.000 km).

I'd like to use the car on a "daily" bases. My priorities are driving pleasure more than a practicality. Has anyone owned both? Which one do you prefer more and why?

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
not owned a 33, however my 145 will be the Alfa I sell last, after more than 10 years it is still great fun, and I still look back at it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
i haven't driven a 33 either but i would have too say i preffered the handling in my 146. it 4 wheel drifteed nicely, the 145 is a bit more twitchy but still lots of fun:lol:

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for opinion. I'll have to make a decision myself anyway I'm afraid:).

Was actually interested if the 4-time more expensive 145 is really worth the extra money. Of course it has two airbags, ABS and air condition what 33 does not. However what's sort of difference despite the extras it can make in real life...

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
I love old Alfas, but save your self alot of headaches and choose the 145. 33 1.7 makes a great sound but they will probably be rotten by now. I think the 145 probably pushes more power too. Good luck with either choice I'm sure you will be happy.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks duemila. I've bought it yeasterday for 1.600,- EUR. It's not in a mint condition though. Mechanically everything works nice however a lot of cosmetics needs to be done. Might need to change the front grille and drivers door.

Do you know if there has been only one red color? Can i simply look for another red door from a donor car and hope the color will match?

Another question. What do you do with color fading? Is there a chance of polishing it with some color back polish?

·
Registered
37,739 Posts
I think there was only one solid red colour. 130BB If I remember correctly.

The red is laquered over, so you can't really polish it's colour back, although polishing will make it look better,

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have a 33 16v and a 145 QV and if using the car every day I would chose the 145 purely because it will cope better with every day use and parts availability is better (33 stuff is getting hard to find now).

From a driving point of view I would say the 33 is much nicer, it handles better, goes better and you feel more involved with the car, that said it is also a much more tiring car to drive as the clutch is quite heavy and the car is noisier than the 145 and the engine needs to be revved harder to really get the best out of it.

The 145 is quieter, more refined, has better equipment, better steering and is easier to drive on a daily basis but in my opinion isn't any where near as much fun to drive.

I think both cars are awesome but for me the 33 will always be the favourite

Hope that helps

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Dickyb. Can only agree in all points with you although 145 feels very responsive and light as well.

Anyway collected the car on Thursday. Despite some cosmetic issues as wrote before cambelt with pump and probably radiator needs to be done. Hopefully nothing more. So it was not that great buy as if I'd go for the 33. Nevertheless 145 seems very practical and roomy. Has a much higher safety standard which will be important as my wife might drive it in the future as well.

Anyway might look for some more advices from you guys in the future. Hope to have a lot of fun driving/using the 145 and working on it.

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
The 8v donkey in the 33 is (no surprise?) a really great engine. :thumbs:

It's a different kettle of fish to the 16v.. it has noticeably more torque lower in the rev range (from memory I think the 16v only matches and then beats the torque of the 8v from 4000rpm on) so it is very smooth to drive. The 8v boxer engine is one of the smoothest that anyone ever built.

Also the 8v normally comes in the "Lusso" spec' whereas the 16v ("Boxer" and QV spec's) had firmer suspension and thinner seats... so 8v is actually quite a comfortable car for cruising. It also has no cat' (pre-1992?) and is a lot less complicated.. though changing the spark plugs is a 1-day job! :D

That said, as a daily driver the '45 is the one to have.. it's got a more powerful engine and the brakes are a lot more modern (33 brakes started life on a 1.3... :D ) It's just newer and more conventional so it's easier to work on too.

You can get parts for the '45 in more or less just a few days... For the 33 now, you need weeks to find any pieces, if they even exist. :(

But if you can find a mint 33, you have a little space in your garage and you don't need it to be operational 24/7 day in, day out... it's still a fine car to own before they all eventually fade away.. so try to try one if there's any way you can.. :thumbs:

Ralf S.

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
My red 145 is many colors, every panel is a different red, just enjoy driving it, and one day if you have the money give it a quick lick of paint.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Again thanks for opinion and suggestions.

I've started to collect parts that needs to be repaired or changed. I went for a new radiator and cam-belt kit first. Cam-belt with a water pump will be replaced by professional. However just did the radiator myself today. Bought a very cheap one from German e-bay eBay: Neue und gebrauchte Elektronikartikel, Autos, Kleidung, Sammlerst . Looks very good and the size matches the OEM exactly. Had only small problems with bolting it - top and bottom "rails" are not enough deep which affects how far the holes are from the radiator.

Anyway bumper needs to go down. But it is not a big issue - only six screws. When I was doing it the metal "holder" completely perished. Rusted through - https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-qSArvsAHKkY/TuPHpD7PUOI/AAAAAAAAAK0/Vd7F4djg6qs/s800/Rust.jpg . Is it an integral part of the skeleton or can be unbolted as a small part and replaced?

·
Registered
37,739 Posts
Those parts rusting is a very common problem.

They do unbolt from the chassis rail at the top, and are not expensive to buy.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Correct, the 145 bumper mount legs are welded on but the ones on the Fiat Bravo/Brava are virtually identical and those ones bolt on. The Bravo/Brava ones also don't seem to suffer from the same rust problems that the 145 legs do either so it's usually not too difficult to find some that are still in good condition.

So, if you can find a Bravo/Brava in a scrap yard then just unbolt the vertical legs from one of those. Then cut off the 145 ones at an appropriate point high up (but below the point where the bumper mounts) and then either weld the Bravo/Brava ones on or devise a way to bolt then on :)

EDIT: Just found a picture of some off a Bravo/Brava HERE.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts