Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The short version:

I dropped my 2000 145 in to a bodyshop to get the passenger side wing mirror and the passenger door straightened and sprayed (the wing mirror was removed with extreme prejudice by a bus)

On collection of the car, the repaired side was 100% perfect however the paintwork on the drivers door is now cloudy (the car is metallic silver)

The bodyshop claim it's a problem with the original Alfa paintwork which has been made obivious after the car was baked to cure the respray (the discoloured area has never been resprayed according to the dealer and the previous owner). Has anyone experienced anything similar??

----
If you're really bored you can read the full uncut version on eamonnobrien.com ( http://forums.eamonnobrien.com/YaBB.pl?board=general&action=display&num=1015585105 ).......the film rights remain mine

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
hi J, I had some repspray work done on my door after it got hit with a shopping trolley. Like yours, the finish was cloudy but rubbed on Autoglym paint restorer and it came up perfect. Its the red label bottle to be more precise!

·
Registered
40 Posts
hi there, what your dealer told you is complete rubbish, once paint is baked at the factory, it is impossible to be affected by the spraybooths heat, and i should know as i am a car painter myself!
The most likely explanation is that they dinged it the workshop (which happens!)
and then did a local repair in the middle of your door, doing this without blending it out would result in a cloudy finish.
so i would take it back and demand it be put right, just tell them it wasnt like it when you brought it in.
hope this helps, good luck!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the latest on this is that I had the service manager at my Alfa dealer talk directly to the bodyshop with neither of them taking responsibility. The service manager has now raised this with Alfa in Turin for them to sanction an assessor to figure out what's wrong with the door. I'll need to get the assessor to tell me who's at fault so that at least I'll have a case if this needs to go to the small claims court.

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
Bodyshop.

They have to fix your car, regardless of what paint it has on it.

If you hand-painted every panel lime green, they would still have to match it, so the "Alfa paint or Repaint?" question is completely academic.

If they can't do it, they shouldn't have taken on the job.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bodyshops line is that the didn't treat my car any differently to any onther car they deal with and that the discolouration is down to the door being sprayed elsewhere and they are not willing to warranty someone else paint job.

It's all BS I know but this is why I need the assessor so that I will have a stick to beat them with....

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok folks the latest update on this is that the service manager at the dealers has been chasing Alfa for the last couple of months trying to get an answer from them. He put through the claim for faded paintwork and the good news is that they agreed to cover the job under their 3yr paintwork warranty. They didn't even involve an assessor.

So I dropped off my 145 yesterday morning and it should be ready for collection tomorrow. In the meantime I'm a pedestrian...

Obiviously I would have prefered that all this didn't take 3 months to sort out but as long as the job is done and my 145 is restored to it's former glory I'm prepared to look past the time delay....

O

·
0 Posts
Hi all,

You guys in the great north seem to have REAL trouble with paint and panel shops from what I have read. We must be lucky down here or maybe it is just we take the US view on car repair. There is NO WAY anybody here would tolerate 3 months to have a SIMPLE paint job sorted. Here it would be sorted in a WEEK! Must be something in the water!

Oliver :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts