Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys and Gals!! Haven't been on here for an age. Really been busy but now i need to pick your brains about my beloved car. It recently went into my local garage to have the front bushes replaced and a new catalytic converter ready for mot. My baby now refuses to start!! I went to have a look at the car myself (not leaving men to know how to treat my rather tempremental car!) and noticed when the key was put in the key code light didn't show on the dash. I pointed this out to the owner. Who when speaking to another techy mate of ours said it did light up! Anyway to cut a long and rather boring story short. We have to replace the ecu, keys, etc at the cost of #1200.00 !!! Is there a way round this? and how? We don't have the master key either. It would be a shame to scrap this car just because of this "issue". Any advice would be much appreciated.:confused:

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
I'd get the entire alarm system checked out, the ECU and the code ECU are totally different, though they talk to each other, but if you don't get any code light at all then ~I'd check the plug on the CODE ECU first.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Well, I had only 1 red key with my 145 when I bought it..

SO...

I went on ebay and found a secondhand ECU with Codebox and x3 Keys (Brown Master and x2 Red Keys), a full set of locks and ignition barrell..

Cost me £30 I think...

Changed it all myself - took about 45mins to swap the ecu, codebox and ignition barrell..

Look on ebay now:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Alfa-lock-set...12|39:1|66:2|65:12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1318

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
£30 baragin, yeah, if you swap the ECU and Code box as pairs then there's no worry with transponder programming, it's only a problem when 1 or the other is replaced.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Before doing anything else, throroughly clean up the fuses, relays and connectors in the box just in front (and on pre-facelifts also to the left) of the battery. This box is more commonly known as the BBOB and in more cases than not, when the car won't start and the CODE light comes on (as you suggested it does) then it is usually just down to a dodgy relay / fuse / wiring connection in that box. Have a read of this post and the preceding posts in that thread.

When people do work on these cars they quite often disturb those fuses/relays or the connections leading to them resulting in the issue you have with the car not starting. One of the relays is the main power supply for the ECUs and sensors. If the CODE Imobiliser ECU doesn't get powered up quickly enough (or not at all) when the ignition is turned on the data communication between the Engine ECU and the CODE Immobiliser ECU cannot take place and the result is that the car remains immobilised.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Have you checked the fuel cut off switch under the passenger seat?
If the CODE light is on then it will definately be the CODE immobiliser preventing the car from starting but as you say, it's still definately worth checking that switch anyway :)

@penny - just for clarification, is the CODE light in the dash coming on and staying on or is it going out a few seconds after turning the ignition key to the ON position?

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Yeah, it just seemed that there was some confusion in the OP as to whether or not the code light came on....

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
So, now that we've sorted that, Jenny, look at fuses 3 and 9 under the dashboard, I suspect one of those has blown, just check them all to be honest but they are the CODE system ones.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok guys no need to bicker!! The key code light does NOT come on when the key is put in the ignition and raised. It's still in the garage at the moent but we are arranging for it to be brought home this weekend. So will have a good look myself at all the advice that has been given. If all else fails we have managed to contact someone who can overide the imobilizer anyway, so will let you know what happens and keep you posted. Thanks again to everyone for your input it really is appreciated :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello. I have just joined the forum having had all sorts of problems with my recently aquired 156. The worst problem i had was exactly the same as yours where the code light didn,t come on. After much time and money was spent looking into this it was found to be a little bit of corrosion in the multiplug connector in the loom in the engine bay. I simply pulled the connector apart( Big black plastic one on the engine bay bulkhead) and reconnected it. Hey presto!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts