Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
Came across this forum while looking on the net for an option not to pay what Alfa dealership is trying to rip me off.
After parking the car (145, 2L, TS -2000) for 4 hours, it cranks but it wouldn't start and the code light stays ON.
I was told that the entire system is chassis No unique and in order to get the thing going I should change keys, code boxes, ECU, ceiling light and whole lot of other things for the sweet price of about 1000 Pound in local currency....Half of what I've paid for the car.
Now, when it comes to the technical part I'm pretty comfortable, but on the computer coding and immobiliser I have to rely on others.
Aren't they shortcuts or quick fixes?

P.S. I've tried the battery of for period of time, the fuse and relay clean up, and general connector checking etc.
thanks

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Now, when it comes to the technical part I'm pretty comfortable, but on the computer coding and immobiliser I have to rely on others.
Aren't they shortcuts or quick fixes?

P.S. I've tried the battery of for period of time, the fuse and relay clean up, and general connector checking etc.
thanks
I know you say yu've tried the relay clean up, but have you checked that the connectors are still in the blocks, they sometimes get pushed out and then there's no way that it willever work, but on another note, before you change any boxes make sure the transponder receiver aerial iastill connected correctly, this runs up the steering column and round the ignition barrel and they too have a habbit of unpluging themselves, no see the key, no starty type situation.

But it's the Code box and body ECU that talk to each other and they can be paired to a new transponder with the examiner.

A

·
0 Posts
Our R reg GTV used to do this fairly often and a trick I and others on here have used always worked. Dis connect positive battery terminal, switch ignition to on position, touch positive battery cables to earth then re connect to battery, at which point the car would start normally.. On ours everything would return to normal for months. This was told to me by a very good locksmith who uses this trick often. Works on Beemers too. I've done it!
Give it a try you might be lucky:)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Probably only needs the Code ECU (£35 IIRC).

Ignore the ceiling light, the remote locking is separate from the immobiliser, and a new key can be programmed in if you have the passcode for it (the receiver). Failing that you just use the circuits from the old keys.

But you probably don't need new keys.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys for the input - much appreciated.
Yeah, checked the terminals, the aerial resistance is about 3.8 Ohms (fine), the "code" light went off when I tried the battery trick suggested
by Alfafamily, but nevertheless the car still wouldn't start. Now I'm waiting for someone to try and trick it before I spent on new whatever.
If I have a success I'll let you know.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
174 Posts
If the code light comes on then goes off then its all working ok as far as the key is concerned.
If it does not do exactly that then its most likely a corrupt immo. This can be fixed by writing the correct code back in there, or by replacing the immo only provided you have all three keys including the burgundy one. Any problems then I can give you the correct code to install or do it for you.

·
Registered
394 Posts
This can be fixed by writing the correct code back in there
Can this actually be done, it was my understanding that it is a permanent memory.

You can loose the 2 red keys with no real issues, it's the dark key that's ESSENTIAL.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's my problem...I've only got the big red key with the chip, that's it.
I bought the car from a bank repossession and you understand that the previous owner wouldn't be very helpful.(That's if I can locate him anyway). Someone here will try to rewrite the code somehow. If It's up to me, I'll disable this all stupidity once and for ever - although SA is the stolen car capital of the world, there's not 1 alfa being stolen for the last few years. In fact the hijack the cars with the key on the ignition, so this is only a huge headache for the owners and nothing else - and the image of Alfa Romeo in SA is the worst of all cars ever.

·
Registered
174 Posts
All the keys information is in the immo, icluding the master key information. Keys can be replicated quite easily from these codes I have done it many times. These immo's also get corrupted, I have also re-written them many times.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
hello i was wondering if any1 knows where i can find my key code
There are 2 types of codes:-
  1. Code to start the car in an emergency if you cannot turn off the immobiliser using your key. This is a 5-digit code that is entered using the accelerator pedal.
  2. Code to enable programming of new or existing keys against the remote alarm / central locking system. This is a 4-digit code
The first code was never supplied with UK sold cars due to insurance companies objecting that doing so posed a security risk so Alfa obliged by not supplying this code with newly sold cars in the UK. You can however get one of these if you contact a dealer. They will cost you about £15.

The second code was supplied as a tag along with each new key (the code is unique to the key it is suppled with). These codes WERE supplied with UK sold cars but most were put away somewhere "safe" by the original owner and then either lost or just never passed on when the car was sold. These codes unfortunately CANNOT be obtained from a dealer.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
the code i need for a new alarm key
If you don't have the 4-digit code tags for either of the 2 original red remote keys that came with your car then the only option you have is to contact Tony at Datarecall Services. If you send him one of your keys he will be able to decipher the code from it which you can then use to "open" your remote receiver unit in order to program a new key against it. Without this code you will be unable to program any new keys against your alarm system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a similar problem, which is that my keys can not start the car (I have all the keys) , although I have the card with the 5 codes to start the car using the accelerator. Only using the accelerator I can turn the car on. The keys lost the program one time that they disconected the battery. Cna you please guide me with a step by step procedure to reprogram the keys ?. I will appreciate it very much. Thanks

Junio

Could

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Cna you please guide me with a step by step procedure to reprogram the keys ?
Do you also have the burgundy (dark red) coloured MASTER key? If so then see this document (page 10 onwards).

·
Registered
174 Posts
Most likely the codebox is stuck in processor crash state. Disconnect the battery and short the batt leads together for a few minutes, then try again.
Unfortunately if the codebox cannot read any key, then it cant read the master key either, so you are not going to get anywhere from that direction.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts