Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm from South Africa & am looking for a new car at the moment and I was looking through the auto trader and I saw a bunch Opel corsas (Vauxhall in the UK) all well priced and all medium performers but nothing stood out for me.

Then one day I was at my Parents place and I thought, you know my fathers Alfa 147 is an awesome looking car, I wonder if there is an Alfa in my price range. so I logged onto auto trader and searched for Alfas in my price range, there were mostly 156s and 147s all with tons of Miles on them. But then!!! I saw her she was red and shiny beautiful mags and had such character.

Ok anyway to cut a long story short I have fallen in love with the 145QV and the point of this post is to ask you good folk, how good is a 145 as an everyday car (driving 50 miles a day or so).

I have heard bad things about Alfas before, such as they cost alot to service and they break down half the time. but I must say my fathers 147 has had little trouble so far although he has only had it for 25000 miles.

Thank you

P.s please tell me what I want to hear, no no actually just give me the truth I need a car that works all the time every time if it is a 145 or not.

·
Registered
780 Posts
My '98 146 has been doing 40 miles a day for the last 3 years, the only problems that I have experienced are that the brakes were replaced when I first bought it and now need replacing again, the steering rack failed a few months ago (expensive) and it has been booked in to have the clutch replaced (also expensive).

You haven't mentioned the year or mileage, but I would recommend buying the best available and KEEP THE OIL TOPPED UP.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't want to go for anything less then a 98 moddle with the colour coded bumpers and so on. I have been a bit stupid because I did not search through past posts and it turns out there was a wealth of info on the topic of buying a 145. but any more would be great.

One other thing, if the car has Full service history should I asume that the timing belts have been done, because I heard the original time between changing the belt was 70K and has now been unofficially changed to 35k. I just hope the blokes in SA will have heard that to.

Thanks for the great forum there is so much awesome information here.

Graeme

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
My 145 is very much an every day car - my wife uses it more on weekdays than I do!

Don't assume that the cambelts have been changed - if there's no proof that the job's been done, get it done as soon as possible.

·
Registered
144 Posts
My 145 is an 'everyday' car.

Not only does she go +/- 50 miles a day but if I need to pop in to town or down Tesco she'll do it!

Buy it, just keep on top of the servicing and enjoy

:lol:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
My 145 1.8 T-Spark is very much an everyday car
I travel over 70 miles each day and although it does require regular TLC its well worth it. Just check out the 145 forum on here to have a look at what to check out before buying a 145 and what may lie ahead problem - wise

The good news is that my car has never failed to start :)

I had an auto trader moment like you and 18 months down the line I still find my car heart stoppingly beautiful and great fun to drive :D :inlove:

Good luck and I hope this has helped :)

·
Registered
801 Posts
Hi Bodg3r.

It has all pretty much been said already, but yes the 145 will be a fine everyday car. Mine was for two years and it never let me down.

Make sure that the one you buy has been looked after and serviced regularly. This will keep it in tip-top condition. Importantly, don't take their word for the belts being changed or any servicing for that matter, make sure you see original receipts for that car.

Good luck with your search, they are great cars.

Dodger.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
I owned my 145 QV for 7 years and took it to 120K miles. In that time it was superb, and very reliable. Get one that has been looked after, make sure the belts and tensioners have been done, keep an eye on the oil level, and enjoy! :)

·
Registered
38,249 Posts
I use mine every day and It has only let me down once. I had some corrosion on the ignition services relay. 2 mins with some wet and dry and it was sorted. :)

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Pardon the ginorance/lack of time to check, but the QV is a boxer? I think the belt interval dabate has been about in-line fours, however it's a red herring 'cos you'll check to see it's ser-vice history and act accordingly - you's a sensible buyer yes??
145 still one of the best looking hatchbacks ever in my opinion and I'm sure the flat four is a great motor - if that's what it has. The downsides to our 16.TS were:
1) crap ride (roads in SA good??)
2) crap headlights on dip (stupid plastic pebble lenses craze)
3) recirc/inlet flap on heater seized and ended up disconnected.
Buy BUY BUY!!!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Oh yes and I'm reminded by another thread..
4) handbrake freezing on - remember not to use in winter!! (***SA may not apply***)!

·
Registered
38,249 Posts
Reflectors coming loose inside the headlight is a problem I have suffered with on 2 of my QV's. Hardly a big problem it makes the lights aim too low.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Oh yes and I'm reminded by another thread..
4) handbrake freezing on - remember not to use in winter!! (***SA may not apply***)!
...Or reach under the back of the car, spray white grease inside teh sleeve, slap loads of general purpose grease into the hole, and use your handbrake happily all through the winter :)

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
All Alfa's are every day cars - I have been running them for years and they have done me proud!

Just keep them regularly serviced and well cared for and you will be fine.

Good luck
Dougie

1 - 15 of 15 Posts