Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
145 & 146 Register update - 59 Cars as of 16.08.16
A massive THANK YOU to everyone who has helped take the 145 & 146 register up to 59 fully recorded cars in less than a month. If you own either model of car and I haven't contacted you, please get in touch. Thank you again.

Yours,

Spencer

·
Registered
13 Posts
145 register

Damn it I was hoping to have one of only 6 cars left on road! 59 on your register eh??
You wont have R841JTD on, as I'v just joined. 145 t-spark 1.8 16V model in Blue, Lancashire

·
Registered
9,621 Posts
Damn it I was hoping to have one of only 6 cars left on road! 59 on your register eh??
You wont have R841JTD on, as I'v just joined. 145 t-spark 1.8 16V model in Blue, Lancashire
Welcome to Alfadom in the right part of the world.....;) I run the Lancs AROC Section - meeting near Hoghton Tower if you fancy a run over Belmont once a month ;)

For the Register, you may not have R718OTD - red 145 Cloverleaf, sold to a mate a few months ago - currently livimg around Morecambe.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Is that a Francia Blue 1.8 with CF1 motore? :)

I thought mine was the only one left.. :D

R978GVA if the register doesn't know about it... though in A&E following a water pump failure.. and then a (brand new, professionally fitted) valve failure. It's touch and go for the beast.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi all,

I don't have any 145's to add to the register but wish I did.
Here's the the three cars I owned that couldn't make it:

* R359CHL, red 1.6 TSPARK - my first car, looks like it probably died back in '08.
* S13JRF, black Cloverleaf (with the black Momo interior) - kicked me in the wallet and spectacularly failed its MOT due to terrible corrosion and brakes not really working ("advisory: not safe to drive"). It was sold as spares-or-repairs and I did see it hit the classifieds a few years later. Can't find the registration on the DVLA website.
* W** ***, red facelift Cloverleaf. Can't find the registration, but this was a spectacular, immaculate car - I bought it from an ex-Fiat mechanic and enthusiast. It is also pictured following the fire consumed it on the M62, ten minutes after hitting its 60,000th mile, well under a year into my ownership.

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hey Spencer-

Is there a definitive list of the cars registered?

As in; broken down by model and number of examples left..?

Have I missed it..?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is that a Francia Blue 1.8 with CF1 motore? :)

I thought mine was the only one left.. :D

R978GVA if the register doesn't know about it... though in A&E following a water pump failure.. and then a (brand new, professionally fitted) valve failure. It's touch and go for the beast.

Ralf S.
hey ralf, is my 145's twin francia blue brother ever gonna see the light of day with a new water pump? Its still off the road and SORN?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I reckon my Alfa will out-live the register: never had any problem with it! Im pushing my luck though. Its been displaced onto the driveway from its nice warm dry garage for errrrm, a B reg rusty Rover 213se!

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
hey ralf, is my 145's twin francia blue brother ever gonna see the light of day with a new water pump? Its still off the road and SORN?
The beast is still in A&E.. :eek:

When I say the water pump failed, what I mean is the bearing collapsed and it threw the belt off. The 16 valves were all KIA, although the head survived unscathed somehow.

Anyhooo.. I fixed everything.. sent the head to be professionally re-valved etc. and when it came back I re-fitted everything including 8 new valve lifters.

The beast was really running as sweet as a nut and as silent as it's every been.. so fair plays to the original engine (even the variator, at 152,000 miles) is original.

Then 200 miles later for reasons unknown, one of the (new) exhaust valves snapped and the head of the valve dropped into the cylinder, where the piston got the hump with it and smashed it (and itself) into the top of the combustion chamber. The head has chunks missing out of it and the piston got holed by what was left of the stem attached to the valve head.

So... after dismantling everything (quite easily second time round.. :D ) I discovered I need a new piston, valves and head.

First off... I found a CF1 engine in Bristol.. from a dead Spider.. and despite being 2 ltrs rather than 1.8, I think the head itself is identical. I've decided to leave the valves in place since they look okay and since the last "professional" overhaul I want to be sure the job's a good 'un. If it has leaky valve stems etc. that will be a job for another day.

Second off.. Pistones. These truly are the proverbial rocking horse poo. Nothing on fleabay or any other parts website. I tried to contact Mondial (who made the originals) to find they were bought out by Mahle in 2008 (?). Mahle stockists didn't stock them... so... off to trawl every European country where Alfa's have ever been sold. Eventually my... er... neice who's Polish turned up three CF1 pistons and rods in Krakow for £60 delivered.

When the pistons arrived, the rings were shagged (as expected) and the pistons' teflon faces were worn to say the least... but I bought some new shells the right size and cleaned up the best of the bunch... but it's nay great.

Meanwhile I had found a brand new Mahle piston with rings in Dusseldorf, so ordered that one (£70) and it is the dog's danglies. Interestingly the production date (September 2015) is pretty recent, so they must still be out there, somewhere.

That's as far as I've got. I've fitted that piston to my old rod and I have new gudgeon pin clip to install which looks like it needs a special tool to rotate it and compress it at the same time. I ran out of juice there... although on Youtube there is a video/technique that shows how using a metal tube with a "T" bolt through it (mimicking the real tool) can clip it in. Otherwise I'll give it to my tame mechanic... :D

Once I dropped the rod back into the motor it should be pretty fast to re-assemble it. The bearing shells are a little almost imperceptibly flattened on that cylinder which is why I bought new ones.. but at £40 a pair, it's a bit eye-watering. I'll check the others though... If they're similarly showing even miniscule amounts of wear/damage, I'll change those too.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The beast is still in A&E.. :eek:

When I say the water pump failed, what I mean is the bearing collapsed and it threw the belt off. The 16 valves were all KIA, although the head survived unscathed somehow.

Anyhooo.. I fixed everything.. sent the head to be professionally re-valved etc. and when it came back I re-fitted everything including 8 new valve lifters.

The beast was really running as sweet as a nut and as silent as it's every been.. so fair plays to the original engine (even the variator, at 152,000 miles) is original.

Then 200 miles later for reasons unknown, one of the (new) exhaust valves snapped and the head of the valve dropped into the cylinder, where the piston got the hump with it and smashed it (and itself) into the top of the combustion chamber. The head has chunks missing out of it and the piston got holed by what was left of the stem attached to the valve head.

So... after dismantling everything (quite easily second time round.. :D ) I discovered I need a new piston, valves and head.

First off... I found a CF1 engine in Bristol.. from a dead Spider.. and despite being 2 ltrs rather than 1.8, I think the head itself is identical. I've decided to leave the valves in place since they look okay and since the last "professional" overhaul I want to be sure the job's a good 'un. If it has leaky valve stems etc. that will be a job for another day.

Second off.. Pistones. These truly are the proverbial rocking horse poo. Nothing on fleabay or any other parts website. I tried to contact Mondial (who made the originals) to find they were bought out by Mahle in 2008 (?). Mahle stockists didn't stock them... so... off to trawl every European country where Alfa's have ever been sold. Eventually my... er... neice who's Polish turned up three CF1 pistons and rods in Krakow for £60 delivered.

When the pistons arrived, the rings were shagged (as expected) and the pistons' teflon faces were worn to say the least... but I bought some new shells the right size and cleaned up the best of the bunch... but it's nay great.

Meanwhile I had found a brand new Mahle piston with rings in Dusseldorf, so ordered that one (£70) and it is the dog's danglies. Interestingly the production date (September 2015) is pretty recent, so they must still be out there, somewhere.

That's as far as I've got. I've fitted that piston to my old rod and I have new gudgeon pin clip to install which looks like it needs a special tool to rotate it and compress it at the same time. I ran out of juice there... although on Youtube there is a video/technique that shows how using a metal tube with a "T" bolt through it (mimicking the real tool) can clip it in. Otherwise I'll give it to my tame mechanic... :D

Once I dropped the rod back into the motor it should be pretty fast to re-assemble it. The bearing shells are a little almost imperceptibly flattened on that cylinder which is why I bought new ones.. but at £40 a pair, it's a bit eye-watering. I'll check the others though... If they're similarly showing even miniscule amounts of wear/damage, I'll change those too.

Ralf S.
Oh Ralf ! what a horror story.with so much internal destruction i would have bought an alfa 156 cf2 engine complete. I hope with 152000 on the clock you get a few more miles out of your efforts. Mine only has 88k, and only one cambelt change around 60k two years ago. my next jobs to do include: thinking about how Im gonna apply a large white alfa logo vinyl decal over the whole roof. You're in a different league! Have you uploaded any pics of it at all on here?

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
I've got no doubts the motore is worth fixing. :thumbs: The beast didn't use any oil (although the holed piston and the missing valve head meant that about a litre ended up in the inlet manifold...) and the piston skirts were in much better shape than any of the three Polish pistons I got. That particular engine is/was about as good as they come, I reckon.

My water pump was a random brand I never heard of... :( but the original Alfa pump came out at 96,000 and still looked brilliant, so I assumed this cheap one would be okay for just a couple of cam-belts (changing it every other belt swap)... but it died after 58,000 miles. The replacement is a Valeo which is/was one of the OE suppliers and it looks marginally better made (and "in the EU", which might mean better quality).

80k from yours in just about run in.. :D Just the floorpan and behind the rear wheel arch liners to keep an eye on and it'll last for donkey's yet.. :D

Ralf S.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts