Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My junior has had a full engine rebuild before I got it. It has tubular manifolds, twin dellorto 40s and looks normal. The block is a 1300 but it goes like stink. 110 mph at red line in 5th and it gets there pretty dam quick. Is this normal? Is it possible that somebody has used a 1300 block but it is now something else?
I took it to the Classic car show at Tatton pk last Sunday. Disappointed that there were none on the Alfa Stand. Are there any more out there?
Had a good blast on the way home chasing a lovely MG BGT of the same vintage. Blew him away in the Alfa of course just to show who is boss! Also had a Cobra behind who didn't manage to get past

·
Registered
346 Posts
Road tests suggest about 100-105mph max so 110 on the speedo seems reasonable. It's got 89bhp in a reasonably aerodynamic bodyshell.

The tubular manifold won't do any harm either.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I think thats quite right for a 1300GT thats just been rebuilt. They were very light for that kind of power.
My first contact with an Alfa was outside Rome with a friend. We'd just got our licences and he'd just 'bought' a 1300GT Junior that was completely rusted away. We took it out for a drive and were amazed at the speed for such a small engine and the seemingly limitless rev.
That same summer the bodywork/chassis gave through and we took it to a dump. The engine was perfect and we felt we had to do something about it so we put a pint of petrol in the tank, found a brick and jammed the throttle to the floor. We looked on from behind another car and were expecting it to explode....! It didn't. It just revved and revved and it took some courage to go upto it and jerk the brick out of place.
The engine slowed down to a slow idle. It drove us bezerk so we switched it off end left it there.
Another car I regret... but that was when the roads in Rome were full of them.

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
Sounds reasonable for one in good nick - Its 25 years or more since I had a 1300 GT Junior, but I remember it as very willing to rev.....and having great handling...which was just as well as the actual roadholding was pretty c**p:lol: - particularly in the wet - which may have been down to some ancient tyres it had on.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, if I dropped in the 2.0 Alfetta engine with race cams it would fly? The spare engine came with the car but I was so surprised by the performance of the car with the 1300 that I am having second thought about swapping it.

I agree on the road holding front. The previous owner span it and wiped the back end off!
Still good to drive though. Puts a smile on your face that modern cars just don't do

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Unless you don't want to keep your classic, 'classic' so to speak or if you're planning on keeping the 1300 for further down the road, I'd try out one that has already been modified if possible to check the real potential and true positives.
Upgrading to a bigger engine with more power brings back memories of buckled drive trains, burnt out clutches and much brake fading and 'not so good' road handling/balance. You really have to go the whole way if you think about more power.
The car was designed for a 1300 and goes very well with it, even if it can handle a little more 'umph'.
Before changing engines I'd do all the rest and upgrade the car in its-self to better its overall handling. Springs, gearbox, clutch, brakes, tyres, exhaust and maybe tune the engine to get the very best out of a sweet little car. I think you'd be surprised at the little racer you can have, but it costs more than simply slipping a 2 litre you have readily available straight in.
Try one and ask about the true costs and upgrades but also the downsides (most important).
Here in Switzerland its illegal unless you re-register as 'new' and it goes through a thorough MOT... quite sensible if you think about it, and the insurance is in proportion.
i.e.: you can do it here, but if you have an accident, the insurance doesn't pay up and the police bore down on you as if they'd caught the biggest drug baron of the century.
PS: I changed the MGB GT (I liked alot) for an Alfa the first time I tried one. The engines just have no comparison and after all it is the heart of the car. Miles ahead in their time the Alfas.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alfa Black

As far as I know, the gearbox internals are identical in the 2.0 litre car as the 1.3 litre apart from gearing. The engine is the same basic block so no real weight gain from the bigger engine.
My Junior already has Brembo front calipers and discs off the 2.0, Bilsteins all around, uprated springs and a HB handling kit. It also has sticky 185/60s on 15" rims. I dont think fitting the engine.

My last sporty number was a 300bhp TR8 convertible with a 4.2 litre race engine. This would spin the back wheel in the wet at 80 mph, so fairly used to crazy cars!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts