Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought rather than posting on a separate thread everytime I do something to the car I would start this.

Well today I took her to Ferdi's Garage in Lytham as I had a gusher of an oil leak, those of you who are old enough to know what the Torrey Canyon was will know what I am talking about, if you don't ask your parents.

Anyway got her there and I suspected that it was the front crank seal, not because I am clever but because there was loads of oil over the bottom hose and that part of the sump was covered.

To cut a long story short ''someone'' had put the seal in the wrong way round so it was doing its sealing job very well and it was getting worse. Now after the drive home looks as tight as a drum and no mess.

If you are in the NW England and want someone to work on your car I would recommend Ferdi, :thumbs: top guy!

I have some parts ready to fit and am planning to buy some in the near future and there are some small jobs that need to be done.
1. Alfaholics Fast road suspension kit - lowered springs F/R,uprated front rollbar and remove rear roll bar.
2. Cut my own carpets - I bought a roll of black carpet at an event recently and am just going to do the drivers and passenger side as I don't want to pay in excess of £200 for a kit. The carpet that I have bought has a nice velour feel and I will use the rubber mats as templates - simples :lol:
3. Install 123 distributor and set the timing properly
4. Fast road cylinder head from Classic Alfa - big, big investment anyone out there fitted one did you notice any difference, I certainly hope so?
5. Rolling Road to get it all set up properly
6. Bigger brake kit for the front, perhaps I ought to do this before I fit the cylinder head :lol:
7. Already fitted the Alfaholics exhaust - awesome, easy fit and looks beautiful.
8. Recalibrate speedo - as I have a 2000 engine and gearbox with a 1300 diff - acceleration is awesome in any gear. I would rather keep the performance than get a higher diff.
9. Replace gearbox and diff oils with Millers stuff by all accounts its very good - might even help my tired synchro on second :)

Better get going then.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have ordered the Alfaholics Fast Road suspension kit from Alfaholics - kit c the low one :cool: - I will fit the rear end but not sure about fitting the front springs myself. Looking forward to getting the handling sorted:)

Has anyone got any tips for fitting the front end coil springs on a 105?

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
this is Vin's excellent BB post for a spider (cannot imagine a GT to be much, if any, different) using the long threaded rod/shoulder bolt method to safely lower them out....no need to tell you there is huge tension on the front springs, be careful and support the car well;)
first few posts should give you an idea for removal, then from post #27 for putting them back in:
Front Suspension Change for Dummies - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
this is Vin's excellent BB post for a spider (cannot imagine a GT to be much, if any, different) using the long threaded rod/shoulder bolt method to safely lower them out....no need to tell you there is huge tension on the front springs, be careful and support the car well;)
first few posts should give you an idea for removal, then from post #27 for putting them back in:
Front Suspension Change for Dummies - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
Thanks, :) its a cracking thread :thumbs:

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Pictures Mr D :D

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Good idea is this, Mr D.:thumbs:

Have you already bought the BV head? :cool: I thought you were just thinking about it on the recent run.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good idea is this, Mr D.:thumbs:

Have you already bought the BV head? :cool: I thought you were just thinking about it on the recent run.
Not yet Jim, not yet - it's a BIG investment nearly £3k :wow: I'll get the handling sorted first and possibly upgrade the brakes before I take the PLUNGE.

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Not yet Jim, not yet - it's a BIG investment nearly £3k :wow: I'll get the handling sorted first and possibly upgrade the brakes before I take the PLUNGE.
Makes sense. Handling and stopping always before more power:thumbs:

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Slowly but surely I am accumulating the necessary parts, the handling kit (C) has now arrived from Alfaholics, that comprises of lowered springs, 29mm a/r bar and S4 drop links I am already running on Konis so that's one less job to do.

At the same time I will check the various ball joints to see if any need replacement as I might as well do them at the same time.

I am still contemplating whether to up rate brakes to 2000 spec or beyond or just fit braided hoses new discs and DS2500 pads. Not sure yet :confused:

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought it was time to start putting some of the bits that I have purchased recently; so I have started with the front lowering springs and 29mm ARB. Everything started well and after a bit I worked out how to lower the spring pans using the long threaded rods as the thread are so long it takes along time to lower the spring pans with three rods.
Everything went well until I started to remove the old ARB, unfortunately when I started to undo the bolts on one side the captive nuts within the chassis member became detached so there is now no thread for the bolt to go into. Disaster! Well the situation can be retrieved. An opening has to be cut into the box section new captive bolts are welded in place and the ''letter box'' is then welded up. This is all beyond me but Ferdi in Lytham St Annes is going to sort it.

The ''old'' spring isn't actually that old but the previous owner had put very low race type springs on the front so much so that the Alfaholics kit ''C'' springs which are their lowest for the road are a tad higher which can be seen in one of the pictures.

Finally one of the best tools that I have bought recently battery impact driver; made short work of dismantling the suspension. :thumbs:

Tomorrow I attack the rear suspension; removing the ARB completely, and replacing the rear springs and putting a poly bush on the ''T'' arm - hopefully no disasters tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
371 Posts
Slowly but surely I am accumulating the necessary parts, the handling kit (C) has now arrived from Alfaholics, that comprises of lowered springs, 29mm a/r bar and S4 drop links I am already running on Konis so that's one less job to do.

At the same time I will check the various ball joints to see if any need replacement as I might as well do them at the same time.

I am still contemplating whether to up rate brakes to 2000 spec or beyond or just fit braided hoses new discs and DS2500 pads. Not sure yet :confused:
For the amount of work involved and the small difference in size it's not worth swapping to 2000 brakes. DS2500 pads and new standard discs will do until you're ready to wade in with some fancy 4 pots or something like that.

I guess you've spoken to Ferdi about the dud captives? Sorry I couldn't come up with an easier solution for you!!

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
It does take a while to get the springs in and out with the threaded rods.
I had one 13mm ratchet spanner which made life easier than with a non-ratchet, but I bought another one so that I can turn two at the same time. Or better, get one of my sons to help out:D

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not to worry Jim, this is one of the ''joys'' of owning a 42 year old classic not everything is going to be plain sailing; Ferdi says he is familiar with this problem so has a sorted this before.

I had already reached the conclusion regarding the brakes; i'll just have to wait a bit longer to do that upgrade :)
Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The rear springs are on, rebound straps shortened by about 30mm to compensate for the shorter springs and the ARB has been removed; the car now has that classic low at the rear and higher (but still low if you see what I mean) at the front look. :cool:

Fortunately no dramas today with recalcitrant bolts, nuts captive or otherwise :lol:.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have now ordered one of those smaller ''Italian style'' number plates which will fit very nicely into the recess in the bumper; and to complete the look of the front I am considering getting a GTA style grill which I think looks nicer than the Junior grill and bar.
Photos to follow. :)

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Reporting back on some of the changes made to the car:

1. The 123 distributor has now been installed and the timing has been set; what a difference it's so much smoother from tickover and throughout the rev range. I am not sure if the timing was out slightly or whether the old unit was past it's best, but wow.:wow:
2. Tried the car out on a nice stretch of road on the way back from Lytham and she now handles beautifully the pitching and rolling has virtually been eliminated and goes round bends without drama; this Alfaholics kit c is the dogs danglies :)
3. Finally my ''small'' number plate has arrived, will be putting that on over the weekend, looks dead cool.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mrs D has been unable to get out of the car, unless she opens the window and uses the door handle, as the door can't be opened from within the car, so I took the door card off and thought I would have a fiddle around and it was actually a complete waste of time instead I adjusted the 'keeper' slightly and the problem seems to be solved.

Oh well at least I now know how to remove the door card. :D

1 - 20 of 116 Posts