Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just playing the field at the moment but does anyone have a 164 12v engine they would be willing to part with, there are none on the bay right now and my mechanic says it might be worth looking for one as hes not yet figured out if my 164 has a blown head gasket or a cracked block, if he gets back to me and says its the block I would be willing to pay for another engine to save the extensive costs of a full rebuild, my fingers are still crossed it's just the head gasket but Its definitely worth asking the question right now and finding out if there are any engines around sitting there and getting in someones way
Cheers guys
Kind Regards
Sammy Moon

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Unless it’s been frozen, it’s highly unlikely to be a cracked block. It’s a open deck block with loose liners, so worst case would be new liners. You can get problems with head corrosion of course, and it’s also possible that the liners don’t protrude far enough above deck to give proper clamping pressure on the gasket, but both those issues are fixable with a skim.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Sammy, you need to clear your messages so you can get new ones ;0).

This might be of interest to you, 164 V6 block minus heads but everything else seems there, got to be worth a punt with a start price of 0.99.
eBay item number:392391837860

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unless it’s been frozen, it’s highly unlikely to be a cracked block. It’s a open deck block with loose liners, so worst case would be new liners. You can get problems with head corrosion of course, and it’s also possible that the liners don’t protrude far enough above deck to give proper clamping pressure on the gasket, but both those issues are fixable with a skim.
Thanks for the re-assurance, I'm thinking HG too, avocet recommended re-torquing the head bolts as that sorted a similar problem for him before, but I never got the chance to do that, too many problems came up this year, the header tank was literally full of oil though absolutely no coolant in it! If it was a head gasket it must be a pretty aweful one
Cheers

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sammy, you need to clear your messages so you can get new ones ;0).

This might be of interest to you, 164 V6 block minus heads but everything else seems there, got to be worth a punt with a start price of 0.99.
eBay item number:392391837860
Hehe sorry, all sorted now ?, I have messaged him, thank you for pointing that out, it looks like there are some pretty useable bits there
Kind Regards
Sammy Moon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts