Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so a local company to me are quoting that for just £265 they can give me gains from my 1.4tb 120bhp of +60 bhp from software Alone is this possible as most other tuners etc etc give lower figures for around £300

·
Registered
23 Posts
Its just a matter of how much the tuner dares to boost the pressure. If the engine will last should really be your question, imo :)

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
The engine is virtually unchanged from the MA (obviously without the MA unit gubbins) and can cope with 180 BHP in stock form.

I would think the turbo is too small to give that much BHP, you would want to fit a larger turbo to reach that figure (from a mito 155 or abarth grande punto, I think the MA turbo's are compatible).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ive also been told the catalyst is the bottle neck - it has a restriction to get the engine to temp quicker - remaps can cause high exhaust gas temps and damage turbo etc.

·
Premium Member
5,397 Posts
Yes it can be done. I had my 120 done and it came out at 169.8bhp - not 180 I know, but not far off. All I would say is be careful what you wish for, as you will end up with the torque of a qv with the power of a 170JTDm (not the other way round unfortunately!). What happens is that because the turbo is small, it spools up very quickly and then can't sustain the pressure. This means you end up with an engine that pulls like a train to about 4500rpm and then dies quite quickly. That's fine, but you end up with a petrol that drives like a diesel. The other issue is that the 120 is lower geared than every other Giulietta so this makes everything happen very quickly and then nothing. You have to change up at much lower revs, like in a diesel to make rapid progress because that is where the power is.

Other things to bear in mind are that whilst it is badged 120, it isn't 120bhp. When mine went on the rollers stock it came out at 135 and torque was 250Nm - it was very close to the figures for a 150MA before we started (the reason the performance figures aren't as good is because of the gearing rather than the engine performance). If you get the opportunity, you might want to sacrifice some bhp for a wider flatter power band.

·
Registered
64 Posts
When mine went on the rollers stock it came out at 135 and torque was 250Nm - it was very close to the figures for a 150MA before we started (the reason the performance figures aren't as good is because of the gearing rather than the engine performance).
Was that dyno test on Normal mode or Dynamic ? If in D I would like to find out which dyno is that as I am looking for one. Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,397 Posts
Was that dyno test on Normal mode or Dynamic ? If in D I would like to find out which dyno is that as I am looking for one. Thanks
It was in N. There is no change in torque on the TB, N to D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts