Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.
Over the last two weeks I have been encountering this complete w**ker in a Passat TDi who sits right up my back bumper for mile after mile...I try to drop him but he comes back for more, are Passat TDi's that powerful...he has no problem keeping up with me..I would try and drop him but my spin home is crawling with Gardai with their hairdryers....

Pete.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Let him pass and do the same to him.......no seriously, I hate people that do that, and since I'm rarely in a mood to race anything on the roads these days (cos what does it prove?) I just pull over and let them pass me.

Passat TDi can be quite quick, but you'd have him on the twisties with ease if you wanted ;)

·
Registered
895 Posts
Tailgater, eh?

You don't stand a chance against any turbodiesel, they have way more torque than you.

Touch the brake pedal with your left foot while keeping a steady speed. It will turn on the stop lights and make him back off at least for a while. It will also make it clear that you are annoyed.

But before you actually do this have some practice with left foot braking. The left foot is not accustomed to small movements because it operates the clutch and you will slam on the brakes the first times.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
The bare-bones PAssat TD-i is a 105bhp PAssat engine which is hugely slow, and then there is the pretty popular 130bhp (or 140bhp in the new ones I think) that are fairly torquey and assuming that you are at relatively sensible speeds its not to hard for determined idiots to tailgate anybody if they are thoughtless and stupid enough to want to do it.

Let the ****** by when you can, its much better than having your driving dicatated my somebody else.

If they are tailgating you make sure to leave loads of room in front of you in case you need to stop suddenly for some reason, the dipso behind you won't have a clue what is happening on the road ahead of course..

TB

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Passat TDi can be quite quick, but you'd have him on the twisties with ease if you wanted ;)
No he wouldn't, I speak from experience, the new Passat's chassis can handle corners at much greater speeds than a standard 1.6 147 (and a slightly tweaked one).

Depends on which variant of the VAG TDi too.

1.9 - 110 bhp
2.0 - 140 bhp
2.0 with balls - 167 bhp

I wouldn't worry about it mate, choose your battles, choose the ones you can win. Just concentrate on the road ahead and let him get all worked up and mess himself up when he makes risky moves to get around you.

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
If you know where the Gardai are likely to be, let him pass you there ... he's bound to hit the gas pedal to show off and ..... busted!

I always have my brake pedal adjusted so that the light comes on at the lightest of touches and before the actual brakes activate. I hate tailgaters too ....

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
If you know where the Gardai are likely to be, let him pass you there ... he's bound to hit the gas pedal to show off and ..... busted!

I always have my brake pedal adjusted so that the light comes on at the lightest of touches and before the actual brakes activate. I hate tailgaters too ....
Nah, don't need to brake. Just s-l-o-w down and crawl until he gets the message and then get back up to speed. Keep doing it and it will sink in.

·
Registered
38,290 Posts
I usually make sure I dead on the speed limit at when being tailgated as they always seem to want to go faster. And if I have to turn off right I always make sure I take my time. You can almost see the driver behind chewing the steering wheel.

The people who tailgate in town also seem to be the ones who drive at 40mph on the open road.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
I usually make sure I dead on the speed limit at when being tailgated as they always seem to want to go faster. And if I have to turn off right I always make sure I take my time. You can almost see the driver behind chewing the steering wheel.

The people who tailgate in town also seem to be the ones who drive at 40mph on the open road.
Heh, that's what I do too mate, especially when turning off onto another road, slow down to about walking speed and take the corner tortuously slowly ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Let him pass..... Things like this aren't worth bothering over. He chooses to drive, quite possibly, the most mundane car on the road. His life must be pretty sh1ty. So, let him pass. It's probably better to have him infront of you than behind. Put some cool tunes on and let him go. Tisn't worth it....

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
HAd a short spin in my Dads new PAssat 1.9 TDi last week, unfortunately the 105bhp one, but I have to say the Passat is unrecognisable from the previous version (which my Dad upgraded from).

Its comfort and body control are really really good - biased toword comfort tather than handling, but probably ideal for poorly surfaced minor Irish roads.

The steering is sooooo slow though, but still the car is no muppet for mass market transport.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
i have to admit, my cousin's 2.0tdi goes like stink, it absolutely flies and can really take corners too.
I almost made the mistake of getting a passat instead of the 156!
very happy i didn't! i now have one of the best interiors on the road!

*out of curiosity, could my 156 1.6 acutally beat any other cars? its a bit big for a 1.6 engine.
a 147 is smaller and lighter on the same power(?)

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
*out of curiosity, could my 156 1.6 acutally beat any other cars? its a bit big for a 1.6 engine.
a 147 is smaller and lighter on the same power(?)
I think the gearing is different on the 156 to compensate a little for this although i'll repeat what i said earlier, choose your battles.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Its comfort and body control are really really good - biased toword comfort tather than handling, but probably ideal for poorly surfaced minor Irish roads.
I find the ride very nice in ours, some days I get up and i'm not in the mood for every bone in my body jarring at every rut or pothole in the road so if my lass is working from home I take the passat.

Just had a blast over the moortops in it coming home from my olds and it was pretty impressive. Pity it's so... Vanilla.

·
Super Moderator
114,703 Posts
Fraser said:
Nah, don't need to brake. Just s-l-o-w down and crawl until he gets the message and then get back up to speed. Keep doing it and it will sink in.
Agree with Fraser, he'll get the hint soon enough.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I met said Passat driver on the way home last night, was back to his old tricks, started to tailgate me, slowed right down which seem to make him more aggrevated...I then dropped and gear and sped up to 80mph with him follwing in tow..when he got really close I did the old brake test on him but I was a little too aggressive on the brakes and he nearly ran up the back of me. When I looked back at him in the rear view mirror he was as white as a sheet. I think he got the idea finally...lets hope he learns his lesson.

Pete.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i get annoyed with tailgaters too what i have started to do is drop down to just under the speed limit and put cruise on then jus sit there until they either take over or drop back some turning off at bends is also fun when you go really slow so that they almost have to stop. ha ha

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
i get annoyed with tailgaters too what i have started to do is drop down to just under the speed limit and put cruise on then jus sit there until they either take over or drop back some turning off at bends is also fun when you go really slow so that they almost have to stop. ha ha
Kev, your such a wiener ;) :p

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had a woman tailgating me in town one night, she almost followed me home. From 30mph I reduced my speed, so did she. Still up my arse, I thought, 'she's a slow leaner'. I brought my speed down to 20....10.....and finally stopped in the middle of the road with her stopped behind me!!!! She had to back up to get around me!!!!

Young woman with her baby in the back, going home I think. Unrepentant to the last!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts