Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As it says in the title, my 2007 GT Q2 has just been part-exed. :cry:

I have had for 12 months, have done nearly 20K miles in that time. She has had the following work in that time:
cam belt/water pump
lower turbo hose
glow plug
2x rear discs/pads
4 wheel alignment
new gear knob
ipod adapter
2x upper arms.......

The ownership experience has been a mixed one really. I had to scratch the coupe itch, and with 2 lads the Brera was never ever going to cut it.
We have driven all over in her; camping in Devon, camping in Ross on Wye, even a 3K mile trip to Italy! And she has managed all of these with ease, not even breaking a sweat.

The reason why I came to this conclusion was prompted by a thread on here called "I'm glad I bought a GT and not a 159". It really got me thinking.
I love the way the GT handles, especially with the Q2. It grips, and grips and grips. It almost never loses traction, even in the wet, even when pushing on. But this has a down side, and that is the day to day comfort and handling. It is harsh, at times unbearably so. The 18" wheels, low profile tyres and harder suspension set up on the Q2 gives a tough ride through towns and over any surface that is not perfect.

So smooth A and B roads are an utter blast! But they are few and far between. The roads across Brum are generally shocking, making me wince, cringe and at times cry as the GT crashes over them.
I could have invested in new shocks/springs as many on here have done, but I wan't sure that would answer all the other issues I have with the GT.

It is clearly from an older generation of design and build. And this can be seen in the quality and fit of some of the plastics and interior trim.

It looks incredible, on the right roads it is superb, but as any everyday driver, it doesn't work for me.
We toyed with keeping it as a weekend car, but I needed the money in it to buy another car.

So a sad day for me really. On Friday morning at 10am the GT will be handed over to the car salesman. I will drive away in the newer car with a slightly sad heart.

But on the upside, I am still in the Alfa club as I will be coming away with a 58 plate 159 LE! Whoo hoo!

Driving the two side by side on the same road really was chalk and cheese. The 159 is quieter, smoother and more comfortable, but no where near as engaging as the GT. But I don't always want to be totally "engaged" and feeling the road. Sometimes I want to relax and enjoy the drive.

So, much appreciated support and help from this forum, but i'm off to the darkside, back to the 159/Brera forum!

Cheers all!! :thumbs:

Heres a quick preview of the newer car:

·
Vendor
45,826 Posts
Is that the beauty I can see reflecting off the highly polished 159 doors? :cool:

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
That's not all bad, at least your buying my second favourite car, apart from it's not a sportwagon.

Personally I don't think you would've been happier with the ride had you put Koni and Eibachs on it, it's still hard with the 18"s. Funny though that my Bro just sold his 159 because it wasn't engaging enough.

I should be picking my Q2'd V6 up some time this week, looking forward to it, unlike yours it is pretty much a weekend car but like you I don't think I could endure using it all the time just because of the ride harshness.

Glad you're not leaving the Marque, they are that bit more special aren't they.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers all.

Pud, mines not the one in the refection, my GT was the other side of that GT. Both red! Mine has the Q2 wheels, not the multispokes.

It was a very difficult decision. Much harder than coming from my previous 159 to the GT. But, the LE is a gorgeous car, the Ti wheels look even better in the anthracite colour. It is also lower than the Lussos, same suspension as the Ti. And the brakes are brilliant compared to the GT, think they are Brembos.

·
Vendor
45,826 Posts
Ah yes, forgot yours was the Q2. Give us a shout if you want a Quaife diff for your 159, will have epic amounts of grip then. :thumbs:

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Looking at a 159 in the showroom yesterday. I do like them and was seriously considering one when I bought the GT.

I am with you on the harsh ride, mine is not even a Cloverleaf and only has 17" wheels but the roads local to me and one I use for the daily hack to work is atrocious in the GT. I have to slalom through the ruts. troughs and bumps. Until I WD40'd the passenger air bag connection it was on and off like a bride's nighty along this road :(

My Spider and the F355 (especially the F355) are by and far a smoother ride. I am beginning to wish I too had bought a 159 :(

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 159 is still a pretty engaging car to drive, I went from a Saab 9-3 to the 159 and grinned for months afterwards!
And the previous 159 I kept for two years, and for me that is a minor miracle, so I know I like them.

The wife is gutted. She has built a close bond with the GT, but she drove it once! I was accused of selling "her" GT last night. Odd, as I paid for it, serviced it and put diesel in it every week. Suggested she get rid of her Mini One..........

So in 21 hours I will be saying good bye to one Alfa chapter and opening another.

I will always look back at the GT year as a great one.

·
Vendor
45,826 Posts
Why not trade in her Mini instead and give her the GT?

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why not trade in her Mini instead and give her the GT?
And I quote: " I can't see out of the back of the GT " :rolleyes:

Bless her. Doing the sums there is no way I can have the GT as a weekender, and I don't have the drive space.

Oh well, time to move on. :thumbs:

·
Vendor
45,826 Posts
Fair enough mate, at least you'll have good memories of it.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
And I quote: " I can't see out of the back of the GT " :rolleyes:

Bless her. Doing the sums there is no way I can have the GT as a weekender, and I don't have the drive space.

Oh well, time to move on. :thumbs:
Then give her the 159 and get the GT back :lol: or buy her a booster seat :D Enjoy your 159 :thumbs:

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
Good luck with the 159 Matthew, you sure do have a knack of picking out the beauties, where is this one from?

Looks similar to one by the church on Maney corner, there is great looking Brera over the road from that as well

and since when has 'seeing out the back' been important on an Italian car? :lol:

although I do know what you mean about the ride, the 17in wheels on the 147 are dreadful compared to the 16s, I imagine 18s must be like wooden cart wheels

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The 159 is from Second City Motors in Brum, same as the last 2 Alfas!

I can drive down The Boulevard without holding onto my teeth now!

I know which one you mean, think that is a black 159 with red leather. The red Brera S over the road is stunning. We see to do quite well in our area, there is a red Gullieta on Many Rd as well, and a 156 on yours I think? Oh, and the black 147 Ti that is always parked up in Station Road!!

·
Registered
26,131 Posts
A very honest write-up and a good decision I believe.

Here in Holland, I believe we're blessed with excellent roads (when compared to yours :)) and I can obviously live with the relative harshnessthat put you off.

Enjoy the new car mate!

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Emptied the GT of all its bits tonight. Ipod, maps, phone chargers etc. Quite a sad job to do really.

If anyone wants the adapter for the later ipods, to they charge with the ipod adapters that go into the CD changer port of the head unit, drop me a PM. A fiver and I will post it out.

Onwards and upwards...........

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
I also see the guy that had a GT on Jockey Road (up by the Indian restaurant) has also gone for a 159 as its replacement, and they have bagged a Mito. An impressive line up.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts