Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen them around, but where the hell do you get them?
I took my car to a few place here in CT but they all tell me it can't be done unless I fit a V6 bonnet :cry:
Ideas???

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Like they say, it won't fit unless you have a V6 bonnet. Unless you take it to the front of the engine?

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
You will definitely have get it made up. No-one will have that in stock. Go to the track on raceday and ask the racing guys - they / we are good people and share knowledge

Get some firm black irrigation piping (that stuff you get in big rolls) straighten it in the sun (put it on bricks either side with brick in the middle to push it down the opposite direction it was in the roll or you could buy a length of square plastic conduit - you buy them straight

Make a mock-up strut brace with it - put that where you want to put your strut brace and see where the bonnet touches. But if Ian's findings of lowered engines are the fact - it might be difficult - never say impossible... :tut:

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
currently my airbox is already touching :cry: the bonnet.
I've gotten hold of someone with a strut brace on and he's going to send me a pic soon...
This will be the end of my airbox and hello 25mm trumpets and KnN filters...

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
If your airbox is touching, is it constant or just under load? How are your engine mountings?

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can see the imprint on the inner lining on the bonnet. mountings are ok, want to get poly soon, just need one more donor mount, lol!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Why would you want a strut brace? Only really for cars with McPherson struts in my opinion. These cars are very strong where they need to be where the torsion bars are mounted and where the upper control arms are. Rather spend you money on new poly-bushes. Strut brace only adds weight in my opinion without much else advantage.

·
Registered
655 Posts
As said above , you don't need strut brace if you got torsion bars. I am currently making a triangular strut brace but that because I run coil overs with 200kg/cm springs and the body tends to flex hugely .
If you want a perfect condition gtv 6 2.5 bonnet I have. (R450)
We also race with the sump guard on . This stop any movement underneath . And saves the sump at midvaal.
Personally I would stay far away from poly bushings because they all come out . Even on frosts car . Use oe bushes as they are very good or go rose joint .
The only two place you can safely use poly bushes with benefit is the dedion centre bush and the castor arm bush as these are non rotational and more compression .

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As said above , you don't need strut brace if you got torsion bars. I am currently making a triangular strut brace but that because I run coil overs with 200kg/cm springs and the body tends to flex hugely .
If you want a perfect condition gtv 6 2.5 bonnet I have. (R450)
We also race with the sump guard on . This stop any movement underneath . And saves the sump at midvaal.
Personally I would stay far away from poly bushings because they all come out . Even on frosts car . Use oe bushes as they are very good or go rose joint .
The only two place you can safely use poly bushes with benefit is the dedion centre bush and the castor arm bush as these are non rotational and more compression .
Thanks guys, will do. Oh and for the de dion bush, I made mine polly about 3 years back, best move EVER!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts