Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

This is my first Alfa, had it for just over a year without issue and I'm the second UK owner from new with 80,000 miles currently on the clock. I've noticed that occasionally when I'm in DNA mode and I put my foot down (joining from a slip road etc) the car seems quite slow to respond to the power demand. It does accelerate, but not as rapidly as it would normally in DNA mode. At the same time, the revs can either seem to rapidly increase before the power 'bites' and the revs are dragged back down, or the engine hunts for the revs as they increase. You can actually hear the engine increasing and decreasing in pitch as the rev counter needle hunts with it and gradually increases.

I've tried making sure I've got the gear fully engaged and have my foot well clear of the clutch pedal, I just can't think what would stop the engine performing smoothly apart from electrical 'jiggery pokery'. Does anyone have any experience or advice for this?

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you think? It doesn't do it all the time which is why I'm confused. I also haven't noticed it in the lower gears, but that might just be because you spend less time in them. Are there any other signs to look for that might indicate clutch wear?

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
clutch wear starts to be noticeable intermittently, and in the higher gears. it'll become more often and also in lower gears quickly, especially if you don't reduce the power input when the slippage occurs.

there might be a leak (coolant, brake fluid, engine or gearbox oil) which makes the clutch slip, but that'll become obvious when you're changing the clutch, and it will still need changing if that's the case

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Classic signs of a worn clutch.

Until it's fixed try to avoid max. torque, keep out of 'D' and make greater use of lower gears.

·
Registered
38,680 Posts
A good idea to replace the Dual mass flywheel and clucth slave cylinder at the same time.

Even if they appear ok as you don't want them failing after having the clutch done.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi,

This is my first Alfa, had it for just over a year without issue and I'm the second UK owner from new with 80,000 miles currently on the clock. I've noticed that occasionally when I'm in DNA mode and I put my foot down (joining from a slip road etc) the car seems quite slow to respond to the power demand. It does accelerate, but not as rapidly as it would normally in DNA mode. At the same time, the revs can either seem to rapidly increase before the power 'bites' and the revs are dragged back down, or the engine hunts for the revs as they increase. You can actually hear the engine increasing and decreasing in pitch as the rev counter needle hunts with it and gradually increases.

I've tried making sure I've got the gear fully engaged and have my foot well clear of the clutch pedal, I just can't think what would stop the engine performing smoothly apart from electrical 'jiggery pokery'. Does anyone have any experience or advice for this?

Thanks
I had the same problem and after replacing the oil with Millers Nanodrive together with new oil filter, the problem disappeared. If I was you I would try it first before changing the clutch:wink_org:

·
Registered
38,680 Posts
I had the same problem and after replacing the oil with Millers Nanodrive together with new oil filter, the problem disappeared. If I was you I would try it first before changing the clutch:wink_org:
Did you ever find out why this was the case?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Did you ever find out why this was the case?
I suspected a wrong engine oil as I bought the car second hand and only 19k on the clock. It didn't make sense to me that a clutch could be worn out. The dealer changed the engine oil before selling it to me so I thought that they might have put some cheap stuff in there to save money so naturally that was the first thing I looked into. I did have another problem with the car when sometimes I couldn't engage first gear and I had to go to third and then back to first to engage it. This disappeared as well after changing transmission oil for Millers Nanodrive:wink_org: The problem I have now is that while the car is cold I have to wrestle with the transmission but as soon as the oil is warmed up it's smooth as a butter:thumbup: I remember looking for the solution here on the forum and somebody suggested Millers oils as the best out there and based on my experience I agree with that:cool:

·
Registered
38,680 Posts
It does sound in the OP's case that the clutch is slipping though, depending on how the car has been driven at 80,000 miles it could well be worn out.

Wrong oil will certainly make a multi-air run like a bag of spanners though.

Your gearbox issue sounds like the early issues the G had with the box. Sometimes they could be improved with better oil, but many cars ended up with the box being rebuilt.

·
Registered
36,768 Posts
"Wrong oil will certainly make a multi-air run like a bag of spanners though."?

Mine had the wrong oil in it for the first two changes at different dealers but didn't sound like a bag of spanners. I sounded like I had Tourette's when I discovered the mistake and anticipated damage before the error was corrected. The OP has a 140 diesel though and that's a bit like a sack of wrenches when operating as usual compared to an MA.

·
Registered
38,680 Posts

Mine had the wrong oil in it for the first two changes at different dealers but didn't sound like a bag of spanners. I sounded like I had Tourette's when I discovered the mistake and anticipated damage before the error was corrected. The OP has a 140 diesel though and that's a bit like a sack of wrenches when operating as usual compared to an MA.
Yeah sorry I did see that the OP had a 140 Diesel, but future.nature does have an MA.

It gets very confusing...

·
Registered
36,768 Posts
The handbook states that an MA can be run on incorrect oil for a few hundred miles in an emergency (like none available) but must be corrected . Mine did 70 miles each time but it was scarier the first time when an apprentice at the dealers put some ultra high viscosity oil "treatment" in the engine. At 16000 miles when it's to get a 200000 mile car through its last auction! That was 40000 miles ago.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Thanks very much for your help, but with my Alfa inexperience, I'm not sure what a multi air is, and what the definition of a bag of spanners vs bag of wrenches is, should that be taken as a good or a bad sign? Clearly it's not an important issue, but I couldn't work out whether I was better or worse off?

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
the diesel is quite insensitive to the oil used, but there's a preference for oils low evaporation loss as this might keep the exhaust treatment systems in better shape for longer.

the 140 jtdm is the g with the highest torque output. Torque kills clutches if used inappropriately (ie with the clutch pedal not fully released)

don't worry about the noise references, they don't apply any diesel soundsbad compared to most petrols, and the multi air system is on some petrols only. Variable valve timing and lift taken to the extreme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td9Gz_h7Qpg

·
Registered
38,680 Posts
Thanks very much for your help, but with my Alfa inexperience, I'm not sure what a multi air is, and what the definition of a bag of spanners vs bag of wrenches is, should that be taken as a good or a bad sign? Clearly it's not an important issue, but I couldn't work out whether I was better or worse off?
The MA is MultiAir (the Petrol version)

A bag of spanners just means it is running badly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts