Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently use10w60 fully synthetic oil.... Is that the best for V6 3.2? Your thoughts please?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am after this same question answered, I was leaning towards Selina Racing ???
I am using castrol gtx 10w60 which I think is the same rating as selina racing. It is very thick stuff like treacle when pouring on a cold day. Cars don't get used much so would a thinner oil say 10w40 be better?

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
The 10 bit is the cold viscosity. 10w 40 and 10w 60 are identical when cold. For a given working temperature, the 60 will be thicker than the 40. Or, in the bowels of a hotter 3.2, the 60 will be the same as a 40 running in a cooler 2.5.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Nearly right.....a 60 weight might not actually be thicker than 40 at a set temperature....but it will act like it (ie offer the same level of protection, film strength and sheer resistance). Oil weights are a lot more complex than just viscosity (thickness if you prefer).

·
Vendor
45,453 Posts
The 10 bit is the cold viscosity. 10w 40 and 10w 60 are identical when cold. For a given working temperature, the 60 will be thicker than the 40. Or, in the bowels of a hotter 3.2, the 60 will be the same as a 40 running in a cooler 2.5.
I can tell you for sure that 10w60 is thicker and takes longer to pour at workshop temperature than a 10w40. I pour both all the time here. What effect that has in the engine / oil system I don't know. Perhaps both oils give the same protection from cold despite one being thicker than the other. But from a pouring perspective, the 10w60 is definitely thicker at workshop temperatures (0 to 25 degrees).

·
Registered
292 Posts
Firm believer of 10w/60 for Italian engines. Use Shell Helix Racing 10w60 in my V6 (84K miles) the engine doesn't seem to burn oil but it's only in there for around 1K pa in any case; use Mobil 1 10w60 in my Coupe 20vt on 112K still it's original turbo

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's interesting, turbo engines usually ask for 5w30 saying needs oil to circulate quickly to reduce heat. My porsche 718s is turbo and uses 0w40 oil. It does seem 10w60 is the stuff fo the busso 3.2s., albeit the thick stuff. The oil pump must be very strong to get 10w60 moving around the engine when cold?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Modern cars spec/use thinner oils.... my RCZ-R is turbo charged and uses 0-40w, the VX220 uses 5w30. As long as the oil is within the correct specs and 10w60 is for both the Coupe and GTV V6 it is (given it is in the handbook 'spirited driving', comes down to personal choice I guess, I also prefer my Coupe to have a higher oil pressure in use (pros and cons about that too!). I use 10w60 year round but have mechanical empathy in that I don't start from cold and rev the thrupennys off it I wait for it to come up to temp before exploring the rev range.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
S
Modern cars spec/use thinner oils.... my RCZ-R is turbo charged and uses 0-40w, the VX220 uses 5w30. As long as the oil is within the correct specs and 10w60 is for both the Coupe and GTV V6 it is (given it is in the handbook 'spirited driving', comes down to personal choice I guess, I also prefer my Coupe to have a higher oil pressure in use (pros and cons about that too!). I use 10w60 year round but have mechanical empathy in that I don't start from cold and rev the thrupennys off it I wait for it to come up to temp before exploring the rev range.
Thicker oil=higher oil pressure....?

·
Registered
292 Posts
I get significantly higher oil pressure in the Coupe using 10w60 when the oil is hot. Some say never to use 10w60 as it isn't needed. Best oil thread I have read is a chap on VX220.org who works in the oil tech industry, much of what is discussed by many is bunkum

1 - 15 of 15 Posts