Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm after the compound timing gear from a 105 Nord engine. I need the one that has the gear to drive the rev counter.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
engine?
iirc, they are different between 2.0 litre and 1750 engines.
2.0 litre has a shorter shaft, by some 4,5mm I think.

I did read somewhere that one could (if one is a competent machinist!) drill a normal intermediate timing sprocket to take the tach gear. So that got me wondering, OK, so where do you get a tach gear....

Did a bit of a search and came across this one (8th photo down)
I always thought the whole sprocket was machined as one part!

Just FYI;)

ENGINE - alfaveloce.com

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
engine?
iirc, they are different between 2.0 litre and 1750 engines.
2.0 litre has a shorter shaft, by some 4,5mm I think.

I did read somewhere that one could (if one is a competent machinist!) drill a normal intermediate timing sprocket to take the tach gear. So that got me wondering, OK, so where do you get a tach gear....

Did a bit of a search and came across this one (8th photo down)
I always thought the whole sprocket was machined as one part!

Just FYI;)

ENGINE - alfaveloce.com
Its a 2000 one I'm after, thought they were all the same, other than the twin spark ones. Thanks for showing the link, I could use the one from the web site if I can't get one from elsewhere, I will have to ask about postage costs

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
(iirc), one can use a 1750 timing sprocket with tach gear and have it cut down to fit a 2.0 litre.

btw: yes, above link is seller in Victoria, Australia.

I would also posted a wanted over on the BB site. They always have far more used parts than we ever see in EU!

there are a few intermediate sprocket differences, and as you say TS and Nord look similar (so beware when buying!), but the space between cogs on the TS/Nord is different, as seen here:
https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/7414809-post33.html

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now knowing that the speedo drive gear is a separate part, a unit from any size engine(Nord) would be OK

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Now knowing that the speedo drive gear is a separate part, a unit from any size engine(Nord) would be OK
well, yes, but then you'll need to machine
a) a hole to press fit the tach cog into (there is no hole there on one that never had the tach cog)
b) if you got a 1750 one w/o the tach cog, you need to do the same, plus machine a tad off the other end, the end that sticks into the block...because that is where the difference is.
c) if you got a 1750 one WITH tach drive, you still need to machine some off the end that sits in the block.
and
d) I do not know the differences, if any, between 1300/1600 ones and the 1750 or 2000

easiest of course is find a 2.0 litre one WITH tach drive:)

Question is, what do you have now? None at all, or a 2 litre sprocket w/o tach drive?

·
Registered
377 Posts
If you haven't already, it would be worth a quick call to Tom at Classic Alfa, they may have a good s/h one knocking about. They don't advertise everything and often have some bits that are difficult to find.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
well, yes, but then you'll need to machine
a) a hole to press fit the tach cog into (there is no hole there on one that never had the tach cog)
b) if you got a 1750 one w/o the tach cog, you need to do the same, plus machine a tad off the other end, the end that sticks into the block...because that is where the difference is.
c) if you got a 1750 one WITH tach drive, you still need to machine some off the end that sits in the block.
and
d) I do not know the differences, if any, between 1300/1600 ones and the 1750 or 2000

easiest of course is find a 2.0 litre one WITH tach drive:)

Question is, what do you have now? None at all, or a 2 litre sprocket w/o tach drive?
None of the above are a problem
I've got a number of 2000 ones without the tacho drive so just need one to modify or remove the drive from and fit to one I already have

1 - 12 of 12 Posts