Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember reading somewhere that Koni classic shock absorbers should be set to soft for the rear, cant remember the front setting, I need to Google. However, that got me thinking, if you are going to pay 75 quid each for Koni rears, why not just stick regular shocks on the back and the Koni classics just on the front?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Good question, I have red Koni's all round with eibach lowered springs... Its a bit firmer but not too firm..

I remember reading somewhere that Koni classic shock absorbers should be set to soft for the rear, cant remember the front setting, I need to Google. However, that got me thinking, if you are going to pay 75 quid each for Koni rears, why not just stick regular shocks on the back and the Koni classics just on the front?

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
CA recommended half way on the front and nearly off on the back for my Koni reds, you might not get the benefits if you stick to the originals on the rear as they are a compromise between comfort and handling but no harm trying

·
Registered
377 Posts
It doesn't work. The Koni's are bigger diameter, and control bump and rebound much better than the standard units. Half hard at the front and full soft at the rear IMO is the best option. I've had them on my last two Coupe's, and have the same set up on my Ti Super Rep currently, with a 29mm anti-roll bar at the front, lowered, slightly stiffer springs, (CA's Harvey Bailey handling kit), and no rear bar. I find it very neutral in sweeping bends, and if you are going really quick in the tighter stuff, very progressive and easy to catch. Leaving the rear bar on makes it stiffer and more tail happy.

Steve

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
It doesn't work. The Koni's are bigger diameter, and control bump and rebound much better than the standard units. Half hard at the front and full soft at the rear IMO is the best option. I've had them on my last two Coupe's, and have the same set up on my Ti Super Rep currently, with a 29mm anti-roll bar at the front, lowered, slightly stiffer springs, (CA's Harvey Bailey handling kit), and no rear bar. I find it very neutral in sweeping bends, and if you are going really quick in the tighter stuff, very progressive and easy to catch. Leaving the rear bar on makes it stiffer and more tail happy.

Steve
I've got standard springs with Koni reds, stiffer from ARB and deleted rear ARB and can confirm the handling is better than standard, it also reduces scuttle shake on the Spiders, which is nice..

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like a plan guys

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just had the Konis delivered today. Just to confirm, how do you actually set the front at 'half hard'? As I'm fitting a new 2.0 back axle, just take the ARB off?

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Just had the Konis delivered today. Just to confirm, how do you actually set the front at 'half hard'? As I'm fitting a new 2.0 back axle, just take the ARB off?
Turn the body and count the number of times from stop to stop then just find the mid point and that's half hard, cant remember how many turns and yes just remove the ARB, I bolted the mounts back into the body with lots of copaslip and same for the nuts, otherwise you'll never find them when you need them

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
There is also a little plastic split washer/spacer isn't there that needs to be pulled off the shaft before adjusting, to allow full compression. The details of that are somewhere deep in Gtv Jim's resto thread...

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd replaced the front shocks with the Koni Classics, set at half way and the results were OK but not as great as I expected. Sunday morning, I replaced the rears, taking off the ARB at the same time. I was surprised to find Koni's already on the rear, but then had a bigger surprise when I found they were adjust as hard as they would go!!

Fitted the new Konis, set soft and went for a drive in my new S2! Wow what a difference, amazing, simply amazing.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Interesting, what do you think made the biggest difference - shocks or ARB?

I experimented with taking the rear ARB off, with standard springs, uprated front ARB, and Koni Classic shocks. I put it back on, though, as it's removal introduced understeer and also made the car less stable in a straight line on faster roads.

Maybe it would have been better if I had stiffer springs on.

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nick, the springs are standard and due for replacement. Cornering is a delight, a little steering, apply some power and the car just knows what to do!! This morning on the A27 'at speed' the car was very stable. The settings on the old shocks cannot have been right, so that will have a big difference.

Stephen

Reactions: anglospider

·
Registered
3,507 Posts

I experimented with taking the rear ARB off, with standard springs, uprated front ARB, and Koni Classic shocks. I put it back on, though, as it's removal introduced understeer and also made the car less stable in a straight line on faster roads.

Funny that Nick, I did exactly the same and love it, it's more balanced and the arse sticks to the road better, big bonus is the much lessening of scuttle shake for some reason; might be different for the S2 and 4 because the 4 is heavier and maybe differently balanced?.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
It could well be the weight, Martin. I did the experiment on the automatic, which had the added weight of the aircon compressor and other paraphernalia upfront.

·
Registered
377 Posts

You hit the nail on the head. With thicker a/r bar, red Koni's, uprated front springs, then removal of the rear bar makes for superb handling. You need the stiffer front springs to go with the thicker front bar. In my experience on 3 cars now, it makes for very neutral to slight oversteer when being really aggressive, no hint of understeer.
With the rear bar still connected with that set-up, there's too much oversteer. I always used the CA Harvey-Bailey kit.
Steve

1 - 15 of 15 Posts