Alfa Romeo Forum banner

581 - 600 of 602 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #581
Little bit of free time in the offside rear arch. Cut out a nasty plate bodge repair - very satisfying but also shocking to find the "repaired" metal below it to be 100% rust and no steel left below it!

Quick question - the rear turrets in the boot have two 13mm bolts securing them but what do these bolts secure to exactly? I've got to remove all the bitumen soundproofing in the boot before pulling them out... There's a cup directly below, (in picture) which is remarkably rust free - is this secured from above by the two turret bolts?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Little bit of free time in the offside rear arch. Cut out a nasty plate bodge repair - very satisfying but also shocking to find the "repaired" metal below it to be 100% rust and no steel left below it!

Quick question - the rear turrets in the boot have two 13mm bolts securing them but what do these bolts secure to exactly? I've got to remove all the bitumen soundproofing in the boot before pulling them out... There's a cup directly below, (in picture) which is remarkably rust free - is this secured from above by the two turret bolts?
Ok, so I guess by the turrets description, you mean the shock absorber mounting points?
Two M8 captive nuts are what holds the top of the shocker assembly to the boot floor.
Pic of my Berlina in this area attached if it’s any help.
Lots more pics in my album if the project on my Facebook page, if you don’t use FB, PM me your email address, I can send more images of this area if it’s any help.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #583
Thanks GB, think I've got the gist of it - the larger cup, which sits normally hidden from view, boxed in by the inner arch, boot and back seat - is this welded in place, or loose? If welded, can you tell me at which points it is affixed?
I'm replacing various parts of the surrounding area but would be good to know how its all held together before trying to get it all apart... Ta

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Thanks GB, think I've got the gist of it - the larger cup, which sits normally hidden from view, boxed in by the inner arch, boot and back seat - is this welded in place, or loose? If welded, can you tell me at which points it is affixed?
I'm replacing various parts of the surrounding area but would be good to know how its all held together before trying to get it all apart... Ta
I think, from memory, it is spot welded at the top to the boot floor and below to the ‘cross member’ that encloses it.

Here’s a few more if it helps....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #585
Cheers GB! Nice repair that is, I'd be very pleased to get something looking like that..

·
Premium Member
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #586
Another minor blip - purchased on Friday as it stopped outside my workplace and I had a chat with the owner... WTF????! Always had a soft spot for Pandas, although this is obviously a SEAT, its like a new car, zero rust and 47k - whopping 30ish bhp from 850cc

There is quite obviously no accounting for tatste

Attachments

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Another minor blip - purchased on Friday as it stopped outside my workplace and I had a chat with the owner... WTF????! Always had a soft spot for Pandas, although this is obviously a SEAT, its like a new car, zero rust and 47k - whopping 30ish bhp from 850cc

There is quite obviously no accounting for tatste
Excellent choice, I'm coming round to the fact you can have more fun in a low powered skinny tyre'd chariot than you can in a supercar on the public roads, I no longer hide behind the wheel in my wife's K11 Micra, more like I'm redlining it up hill to try and maintain a reasonable speed ......
I really fancy another mini....

·
Premium Member
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #588
Well this old girl will be up for sale shortly, few jobs to do - new rad, new tyres, new rear exhaust section - then MOT time and will enjoy driving it whilst up for sale.
How many left.com shows 1991 Special editions as 1 on the road and 10 sorned!! A rare beast she is

·
Premium Member
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #589
Long time with not much done on the car! I'm trying to get back on it and have just had my red leather sections delivered back from the second laser cutting company I have used (much better this time).
These sections of leather are to repair damaged parts of the rear seats from the Bertone Leather Deluxe interior I have and also to reupholster my 916 Gtv front seats with the matching perforated pattern. The single rows of tiny dots visible at the bottom of the image are laser engraved, just on the surface - these are for me to follow for stitching, as I don't have a machine but want it to look machine stitched.
Now to while away the winter evenings with a needle and thread.....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #590
Dropped of the leather and seats to a good trimmer yesterday - decided against hand stitching - they can do in a day, much better, than what would take me weeks to do... Looking forward to seeing the results..

·
Registered
24,519 Posts
Dropped of the leather and seats to a good trimmer yesterday - decided against hand stitching - they can do in a day, much better, than what would take me weeks to do... Looking forward to seeing the results..
Sometimes it's worth it as much for the quality as the time.

·
Premium Member
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #592
Steering bits back from vapour blasting - freshly vapour blasted alloy castings are always so nice to look at. I am looking at having a horseshoe aluminium bracket fabricated to strengthen the Burman box in the usual failure prone areas.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #593
The steering tube housing had the lower half painted in a dark shade of blue - as is a spare unit that I have. Is this lower half painted to make it less visible under the dash?

·
Premium Member
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #594
Picking up seats from the trimmers today... fingers crossed they've done a nice job...

·
Premium Member
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #596
I'm back to working from home at at the moment, so a little more time for car stuff...

·
Premium Member
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #597 (Edited)
Seats back from trimmers - Inflex Interiors at Weston on the Green, Oxfordshire. They replaced the vertically pleated 916 Gtv seat squabs with horizontally "railed" panels of the leather I had laser cut and also spliced in a couple of patterned panels into the rear seat base, as the originals had torn.
Next tasks are to finish replacing the perished stitching on the rear seats (me, by hand), restuff rear seats and fit to frames with hog-rings, then take the whole lot to a guy the trimmers recommended for recolouring - the whole lot needs recolouring to match the original "darker red" of the Bertone Leather Deluxe. It all looks a little odd at the moment but I am sure when it is all one colour and fitted, it will be a thing of beauty.
IMG_20191122_120529.jpg IMG_20191122_120546.jpg IMG_20191122_120600.jpg 2017-07-09 14.17.35.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #598
Just looking at assembling front hubs onto spindles. Can anyone tell me how much grease I should be putting inside the hubs on assembly? Should they be packed full? Or just a smear? Or somewhere in between?

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I’ll be stripping mine down tomorrow night ready for powder coating so I’ll let you know what I find. I’d say you need to be pretty liberal though.

·
Premium Member
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #600
I’ll be stripping mine down tomorrow night ready for powder coating so I’ll let you know what I find. I’d say you need to be pretty liberal though.
Just make sure the blasters keep well away from the seal mating surface (whole spindle really..)

581 - 600 of 602 Posts