Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 1977 Spider on a Pistonheads run yesterday morning.
I was driving with Toyota MR2s, Westfields, Lotus 7s, Vauxhall VRX etc (it was a light rwd car club).

I must say that I expected the Spider to get into a tangle if pushed too hard trying to keep up, what with it's 40+ year old standard suspension and 165/14 tyres.

However, I was amazed (and I am very much a learner driver) at how this little old car, if you settle it with the brakes and then just stonk through the corner, how it just, well, wizzes through.

I have a 2003 156 GTA...with all the upgrades...Eibach torsion bars, KW coilovers and Q2...and honestly, that little 105 series seems to do corners just as well, and twice as satisfying/fun (being 400kg lighter helps I suppose).

No point to this thread really, except..just a comment on progress. a 1960's design seems to handle better as standard than a 1990s design...ok, the car definitely feels old compared to the 156, but as for handling....and the Spiders aren't supposed to be as good as the 105 coupes...just think how much fun the 800kg/170bhp GTAs were/are...!

·
Registered
202 Posts
I took my 1977 Spider on a Pistonheads run yesterday morning.
I was driving with Toyota MR2s, Westfields, Lotus 7s, Vauxhall VRX etc (it was a light rwd car club).

I must say that I expected the Spider to get into a tangle if pushed too hard trying to keep up, what with it's 40+ year old standard suspension and 165/14 tyres.

However, I was amazed (and I am very much a learner driver) at how this little old car, if you settle it with the brakes and then just stonk through the corner, how it just, well, wizzes through.

I have a 2003 156 GTA...with all the upgrades...Eibach torsion bars, KW coilovers and Q2...and honestly, that little 105 series seems to do corners just as well, and twice as satisfying/fun (being 400kg lighter helps I suppose).

No point to this thread really, except..just a comment on progress. a 1960's design seems to handle better as standard than a 1990s design...ok, the car definitely feels old compared to the 156, but as for handling....and the Spiders aren't supposed to be as good as the 105 coupes...just think how much fun the 800kg/170bhp GTAs were/are...!
As an owner of both, I concur. IMV the Spider needs more old skool driving skill to be driven well but, properly driven, it can go round corners like the little rabbit at the greyhound track. I find it very difficult to contrive a situation where I can hang its arse out even on the mountain roads in Italy where I normally exercise it, and my Series 4 has larger and fatter wheels/tyres than earlier Spiders.

OTH, the 156 GTA (with Selespeed) is a hoot on the same roads, especially blipping the throttle and then unleashing that V6 in all its majesty with the sound bouncing off the rocks or tunnel walls.

I do fantasise about dropping a Busso into a Spider from time to time:). Best of both worlds?

Peter

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
5,972 Posts
I found that removing the rear anti roll bar on a 105 a great cheap mod, adding Koni Classics set soft at the rear, 50% at the front and you can just about negotiate bends on the throttle. I'm looking forward to the next weekend even more after reading your post!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts