Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a similar problem on an old RWD car, turned out to be the doughnut (is this right term?) in the propshaft but sounds like your is ok? Wear in the diff???

wrinx

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
If it only does when the car is turning you might expect it to be the Diff, but I think I would check the suspension, it could be allowing the axle to bounce up and down somehow. Isn't there some sort of restraint mechanism in the middle which is supposed to prevent this.

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
On the Bertone

"The rear gearbox mount can break which can cause the gearbox to move up and down."

"Also, the centre bearing on the prop wears and allows too much movement of the prop on drive take up."

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have you tried replacing the universal joints? I had a simialar problem and EB Spares suggested this. I certainly cured the problem. I bought the UJ's and took them along with the prop to a local motor factors/engineers. They changed them for me for about a tenner.

Don't forget to mark the prop at the flanges so you bolt it back together the same way or it will go out of balance. Mine did this anyway and I had to get the prop balanced. That cost £83 and the balance way better and smoother than it had ever been.

Hope this helps

James

1 - 4 of 4 Posts