Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the 95 due to be replaced by the 105 Multiair?
Looking to buy a new 95, should I hang on or will the 105 be way more expensive?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
multiair 105bhp purchase price will definately be more, don't know about insurance as there are now 50 groups (supposedly to make things easier!) i think the road tax is the same band, petrol consumption is supposed to be slightly better with the multiair, if you can get a stock 95bhp you could save a packet and still have a great car.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm tricky. Over time the 95 will maybe depreciate more against the 105. But as you say, I might get a better deal on the 'old' 95.

And as for the yet unproven multiair 'technology' and negligable benefits? Whats it going to be like 50000 miles down the road?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
you're thinking the same way that i did before i got my 95bhp mito. i've never trusted turbocharged engines and as the 95bhp 'starjet' engine shares the same block and head with less power and has been put in millions of fiats and lancias it should be bulletproof. got a shock though when some of the owners on here had water dripping from a pipe onto the alternator and freezing, i'm sure the multiair technology has been well tested but there could still be teething troubles, my 95bhp hasn't missed a beat but the only prob is it has to be put in 'd' mode all the time, it's a bit asthmatic in 'n' mode

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah agree, I'm not a turbo fan either. I'm used to 65 horses from my Punto so a 95 will seem like a turbo to me!
I've done 98000 miles in the Punto and not had any major probs. Thats the reason I'm looking at a Mito, lets face it, it's a Grande Punto under a very very sexy skin. And now the Mito is all Fiat and not Alfa, it should be reliable as well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
"I'm used to 65 horses from my Punto so a 95 will seem like a turbo to me!"

:cheese: Yep, my old Punto had just 55 - so my 95 16v seems like Thrust SS2...

M

·
0 Posts
The 105 isn't coming to the UK in the near future according to Alfa
Its avaliable on the Punto evo....so if people really want the 105 and are prepared to wait for it in a mito i guess that car would give you a good impression on what the engines like in the meantime:thumbs:

The price difference between the 1.4 77bhp punto evo (same as in the mito junior) to the 105 is around £1,000. Maybe the difference will be the same between the Mito Junior and turismo? just a guess though!

·
Registered
300 Posts
MiTo MultiAir Test Drives at Mangoletsi Now

Just to let everyone know that we now have 2 x MiTo MultiAir 135BHP Demonstrators prepared & ready for customer test drives.

1 x Alfa Red Lusso
1 x Tornado Blue Veloce

They drive amazingly; we are all blown away - much faster than the 155BHP. :)

Call us to arrange a test drive on 01565 722899 or PM me your contact details and we will call you.

Regards
Mangoletsi.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How come the Multiair 105 isn't as fuel efficient as the 135?
Does Multiair only work at it's best with a turbo?

I can now understand why Alfa maybe won't add the 105 to the UK range. What's the point? Less mpg, less power and speed and more Co2!

M

·
0 Posts
How come the Multiair 105 isn't as fuel efficient as the 135?
Does Multiair only work at it's best with a turbo?

I can now understand why Alfa maybe won't add the 105 to the UK range. What's the point? Less mpg, less power and speed and more Co2!
It should still manage 50mpg - about 1 mile less than the 135 (on the punto evo range).

Of course theres a point - it can be the cheaper alternative to the 135 and its alot better than the current 95. In Italy its multiair only, and will be the same over here at some stage. Just alfa taking their time as per usual i guess :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
the 105 probably isn't as fuel effecient as the 135 (especially in everyday driving, not max-eco driving), because it has to work harder than the 135 for the same acceleration.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Probably.

I remember when we took 2 vans 1800 miles across europe. One was a twin rear axle (2 wheels / tyres per corner on the back), loaded up to the max (3.5 tonnes) with a 2.4 diesel engine.

The other was only loaded up to about 2.5 tonnes, much smaller single rear axle van with 1.9 engine.

Despite the extra weight, the bigger van was cheaper on diesel, as the engine struggled less.

M

·
0 Posts
the 105 probably isn't as fuel effecient as the 135 (especially in everyday driving, not max-eco driving), because it has to work harder than the 135 for the same acceleration.
But then why isn't the 120 more fuel effecient than the 95? or the 155 more effecient than the 120?

Maybe its got something to do with the mpg test conditions being more favourable to the characteristics of the 135. Forgetting the 135 though, taken on its own merits the 105 multiair is still pretty good as an engine and probably the best non turbo 1.4 around compared to its rivals (though I aint looked so could be wrong) and should offer a good discount over the 135. It'l make the mito a better prospect for people looking to buy lower down the range. Question is: how much more expensive will it make the mito over what prices already are.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What I'm getting at is the difference between Mito multiair turbo engines and non turbo Mito's. The Multiair seems to work at its best with a turbo and was probably designed with this in mind.

The 95 has near identical fuel consumption figures as the Multiair 170!

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
But then why isn't the 120 more fuel effecient than the 95? or the 155 more effecient than the 120?

Maybe its got something to do with the mpg test conditions being more favourable to the characteristics of the 135. Forgetting the 135 though, taken on its own merits the 105 multiair is still pretty good as an engine and probably the best non turbo 1.4 around compared to its rivals (though I aint looked so could be wrong) and should offer a good discount over the 135. It'l make the mito a better prospect for people looking to buy lower down the range. Question is: how much more expensive will it make the mito over what prices already are.
i was also taking into account the technology that will make the multiair engines waste less fuel

C

·
0 Posts
"I'm used to 65 horses from my Punto so a 95 will seem like a turbo to me!"

:cheese: Yep, my old Punto had just 55 - so my 95 16v seems like Thrust SS2...
My 98 plate Astra had a hamster wheel under the bonnet, no horsepower in sight. My 95 may not reach 60 2 seconds as fast as the 120 but I reckon its quick :cheese:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts