Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone else notice that 105 coupe values seem to be, well, a bit all over the place?

Across the pond and mainland Europe I've seen some sell anything up to $ 55K. In the UK sometimes they go for up to 50 grand too, such as :

Stunning 1973 Alfa Romeo 2000 GTV 105 Bertone Giulia 2 Door Coupe,Show Condition - 55K

1974 Alfa Romeo 2000 GTV - Silverstone Auctions - Sold for 46K

Now these are great examples, but I figured a well-restored example for a 105 would be around 20-30? I can't understand what justifies the extra 20 to 30 K on top of that. There's a pretty nice 1750 on eBay for 16,000 too which seems very reasonable. How are we supposed to price our cars in this kind of market? (Not that I'm thinking of selling, just planning on spending 10K on a respray and other bits on mine and wondering what difference to the value it will make).

Comments welcome!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
The Spiders are the same, all over the place, especially the S2, never understood why it is so much lower than the GT and GTV's, the commercial resellers are responsible for some of this nonsense along with punters with more money than sense; if you wave the "investment" flag in front of some people they fall for an it becomes a bit of a runaway train. Personally speaking I would never spend money on my Spider with a view to selling it for more money, it simply isnt worth it, much better spending money because you like fetttling /improving / personalising and consider it as a cost of your hobby; people spend far more on other pursuits that others would see as pointless, my personal dislike is depreciation which seems like throwing money on the fire to me, but each to their own - to state the bleeding obvious, you will get what someone is willing to pay...

Reactions: sbadaro

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Spiders are the same, all over the place, especially the S2, never understood why it is so much lower than the GT and GTV's, the commercial resellers are responsible for some of this nonsense along with punters with more money than sense; if you wave the "investment" flag in front of some people they fall for an it becomes a bit of a runaway train. Personally speaking I would never spend money on my Spider with a view to selling it for more money, it simply isnt worth it, much better spending money because you like fetttling /improving / personalising and consider it as a cost of your hobby; people spend far more on other pursuits that others would see as pointless, my personal dislike is depreciation which seems like throwing money on the fire to me, but each to their own - to state the bleeding obvious, you will get what someone is willing to pay...
Well summed up Joe. Because a good example is quite rare to come by, you only need the right buyer at the right time who has more money than potential sense to inflate the price.

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
I think there is an also an element of well that one sold for x so mine must be worth x, I've owned Alfetta gtv's for the past 20 years, and I would rather pay for originality and no rust, but that's me, 105's are a decade older so I don't know how many are left but they are getting rare, I would want to inspect every inch if I was in the market,

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
105 Coupe's (and super/Berlina), jumped in price when the new Giulia was released and the press gushed over the QF's. Many of them revisited the back catalogue and it created a mini boom amongst buyers as the were for ever in the magazines and utube video's.
It may be settling back down again. It also might jump back if and when Alfa finally release the promised Giulia Coupe.

The Spider didn't get that boost and has always remained in the shadow of the coupe's, probably due to the competition history and the reputation that the spider is slightly soft relative to a coupe as a drivers car.

The 105's are pretty unusual in that the tin top version is worth more than the soft top, its usually the other way round. The only explanation I can think of would be that mentioned above.

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
I disagree Mitch, 105 coupes have jumped before the new Giulia came around, I don't see any correlation with new alfa's and the classics, the 90's GTV was nothing like the old one, ditto the Giulietta and any new GTV they bring out but that's just my view. Also there is an element that not everyone is hands on with restorations, so as mentioned above someone with enough disposable cash, not necessarily no sense may well fancy a sorted classic without the hassle of restoration.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
That US one is a real shed - looks well rusty! The description is great " there is some rust present on the car, but mostly at a cosmetic level." So the big holes in the rear wing would just polish out I guess :rofl:

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
If you spray a car in cobwebs and pigeon **** and call it a barn find people go nuts for it, I hate speculators, people who buy classics because they think it will make them money, nothing to do with the pleasure of owning a classic.

·
Registered
5,962 Posts
That US one is a real shed - looks well rusty! The description is great " there is some rust present on the car, but mostly at a cosmetic level." So the big holes in the rear wing would just polish out I guess :rofl:
Patina.:rofl:

·
Registered
330 Posts
I always thought Coupes were pricier due to their relative rarity. There are lots more S2s out there than 105 Coupes, and then the existence of S3 and S4s probably depresses the Spider mystique even further. Perhaps the supply/demand equation is different in the UK than on the continent?

Are Step-Noses that much more than the later Coupes? The rarity of the Duetto makes them at least 50% more than an S2.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I always thought Coupes were pricier due to their relative rarity. There are lots more S2s out there than 105 Coupes, and then the existence of S3 and S4s probably depresses the Spider mystique even further. Perhaps the supply/demand equation is different in the UK than on the continent?

Are Step-Noses that much more than the later Coupes? The rarity of the Duetto makes them at least 50% more than an S2.
Yes you are probably right, but I think the S2 is undervalued against Brit iron of the same era, how many MGB's are there for gods sake ....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts