Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody confirm if the 2000GTV is OK on unleaded?
Ta.
;)

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
RicksAlfas said:
Can anybody confirm if the 2000GTV is OK on unleaded?
Ta.
;)
Most People seem to agree that they are OK with super unleaded. Alloy Engine with alloy head, means it allready has Hardened valve seats anyway. Sodium filled valves also help.
I was assured mine had been running on unleaded for a while, and I intend to use it as well. When LRP is available and convenient, (as it was on Sunday by pure luck!), I will probably put that in anyway, but not as a rule.
83P a litre is a bit eye watering. :eek:

·
Registered
807 Posts
My Junior has a 2000GTV engine in it and I've done 2,500 miles in last year with no ill effects on LPG from Safeways. (Had been run on LPG for a few years too).

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LPG is gas - is that what you are on??
:eek:

LRP is crap - don't use it! You are better with unleaded and an additive. LRP is only suitable for cars used for "moderate driving".....
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alfatastic said:
Wooops always get those 2 mixed up, why is LRP so bad!
It's probably me being a bit alarmist, but at the time of leaded being phased out, the "mags" were saying that LRP was only suitable for cars used for pootling about in, and the LRP makers were very conservative saying "moderate use" "light loads" "no towing" etc. etc. The general feeling was that if you were going to fly about like your pants were on fire, use unleaded (or super unleaded if you need the Octane) with a lead additive.

But if the Twin Cam has hardened seats, it can probably run on straight unleaded.
Or gas.
:D

if you want four star check here : http://www.leadedpetrol.co.uk/list.htm

M

·
0 Posts
LRP is !!!!, you can have hardened valve seats fitted, but its much easier to use unleaded fuel and an additive like Millers VSL, it is very effective and not too expensive either, www.alfaholics.com have it in stock.

T

·
0 Posts
IanM said:
Most People seem to agree that they are OK with super unleaded. Alloy Engine with alloy head, means it allready has Hardened valve seats anyway. Sodium filled valves also help.
I was assured mine had been running on unleaded for a while, and I intend to use it as well. When LRP is available and convenient, (as it was on Sunday by pure luck!), I will probably put that in anyway, but not as a rule.
83P a litre is a bit eye watering. :eek:

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My latest info is to use Super Unleaded, or Optimax, or BP Splendiferous for everyday use, and the same but with an additive like Millers CVL for hard (track) use.

Do you have a Tuscan, Tuscan?
:confused: :)

T

·
0 Posts
There's a lot of mentions about LRP but nobody has said why it won't work in your Alfa or most other sports cars. LRP is a slow burning fuel. Unfortunately no British Standard exists so every maker has his own formula so some is better than other makes. With spark ignition engines the LRP is often still burning when the inlet valve opens again, hence spitting back and misfiring through the inlet port. This is why the engines run so badly.

T

·
0 Posts
Been running my 1600 GTJ for the last few years on a mixure of LRP and unleaded with additive, depending on availability.

Recently checked the plugs out and they were rather oily, now i'm wondering if i should be more consistent with my use of fuel or just make sure i get out of London more and have a proper blat round to clear the cobwebs.

Any opinions out there??

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The advise I was given on additives was to choose one, and stick to it.
I used Millers VSP Plus and Optimax in a hard driven Westfield, with no ill effects.
(Other than to my piggy bank).

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
I know I've posted this before but I can't seem to find it. It's probably in those lost few weeks that didn't get archived when the board was switched over.

Over here we don't have the option of leaded fuel. All we've had is strictly unleaded, and it has been that way for at least 20 years.

I don't bother with lead-compensating additives. Never have, and doubt I ever will. I think my brother put in one or two bottles of additive in the tank when he first got his '66 Mustang on the road over 15 years ago. He hasn't bothered since, and even using the highest grade fuel available, he can't match the octane level that was recommended for his car. Anyway, the lack of lead hasn't seemed to have hurt his engine, and I'm not expecting the lack of lead to hurt my car either.

And for what it's worth, even though I usually use the premium grade, I have dumped plain old regular in my tank when the fuel prices have risen beyond what I thought was reasonable, and honestly I can't tell the difference. My engine seems to run just fine on the cheap stuff. That said, I am paranoid enough to switch back to the good stuff with the next fill-up.

I keep coming back to basic maintenance. As long as you're caring for your engine and doing the preventative work, nothing major should happen, lead or no lead.
--Toronto

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
No need to go for leaded fuel, unles your Alfa is very old. All the Nord engines have reinforced valves and valve seats, no need to lube'm with lead. However, if you cant get hold of 98 RON, have the timing slightly (2 degrees) retarded from the factory settings to allow trouble free 95 RON usage :)

Cheers

Hoygs

W

·
0 Posts
Hoygaard...how old is old?

How about the early iron block, aluminum head, twin overhead cam engines?

wrinx

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Hoygaard said:
No need to go for leaded fuel, unles your Alfa is very old. All the Nord engines have reinforced valves and valve seats, no need to lube'm with lead. However, if you cant get hold of 98 RON, have the timing slightly (2 degrees) retarded from the factory settings to allow trouble free 95 RON usage :)

Cheers

Hoygs
How old is 'very old' Hoygs?, 1968 I suppose is middle aged but not old... ;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts