Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a few threads on batteries, so my apologies for another one.
The previous owner of my chariot had a bloody marine battery in it:rolleyes: :confused: and it was a 50 aH. Everything worked fine though but I replaced it with a 66aH one( on recommendation of the parts shop) and now the central locking has gone tarty.

Question is, a 12v battery is a 12v battery so there is a constant same current but is there such a big difference between the 100aH and a 66aH one?

Really just curious before I start ripping the doors apart to check the locks.

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
Sipe,

In the middle of winter you only have a 3 bar electric fire for heating.
Eack 1Kw.....All 240V.

Would you prefer to sit in the cold with 1 bar on or 3.

I reckon Alfa fitted it for a reason.

I stuck a merc battery (see earlier post) cheaper than an alfa...Possible should have gone for 86Ah Bosch which is listed for 166 on their chart.

I put big battery from rover 827 in it and it just ate it for breakfast SO I went for 100Ah especially as all the electrcal extras on trhe 2.5

Pomeo.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
The 166 Bible states 100Ah although most motor factors have it listed as 70Ah.

My car had just had a new battery installed the week before I bought it, but was only 70Ah. I changed it immediately to 100Ah - Big car, lots of toys!

BUT I am not sure that changing the battery will help your central locking - My 164 12v was running on a tiny battery, only problem was that if I listened to the stereo for more than 15 minutes with car not running then it would not start! I was shocked when I found a battery that did not even fill half of the tray so changed immediately.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
The info I've got (from the Owner's Manual and A CD) states 100Ah for the diesel and 70Ah for all the petrol models.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
My 166 handbook states 100Ah for all models!?

2.0TS has a 100A alernator, all other models have 120A.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
ive got a spare alfa batt for sale! £50 for it, i paid £90 for it, few months old, i have no use for it at all!

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
I know there are a few threads on batteries, so my apologies for another one.
The previous owner of my chariot had a bloody marine battery in it:rolleyes: :confused: and it was a 50 aH. Everything worked fine though but I replaced it with a 66aH one( on recommendation of the parts shop) and now the central locking has gone tarty.

Question is, a 12v battery is a 12v battery so there is a constant same current but is there such a big difference between the 100aH and a 66aH one?

Really just curious before I start ripping the doors apart to check the locks.
Sipe re your locking problems they can act up from time to time.The locks are a thing that should probably get some maintenance.My N/S/F DOOR acted up last winter.Managed to get it shut n locked .Wife opened it a few times in error and with increasing difficulty I managed to get it locked again.Took fuse out of circuit to prevent her.When better weather came went to strip door lock out BUT DOOR WOULDN'T OPEN.Ended up having to put into dealer....And Boy Did They Have DIfficulty With IT.

Any Joy yet.

pomeo

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No joy yet. But thanks for the feedback fellas. Will probably take it to a dealer and see what they can do.

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
Further on the 100Ah Battery.

Has anyone else noticed that the climate control fan is 30A?

No wonder when the fans fail there is smoke n smell.

Pomeo

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
EPer states 100Ah, 470A battery.

Funnily, this is what is in mine (made by exide, branded as AlfaRomeo) - so the battery has lasted 6 years so far, but now reading 12.10 volts at rest, so looking for new one before too late.

Mostly, 70-100Ah batteries are 700-800A, so the Alfa spec is for reserve on the electronics - eg the ICS being used with the engine off.

I am aiming for a Bosch battery with 4 yr guarantee, will let you know spec & prices when sorted.

My ePer shows £100 for the OEM battery, £81 from Tayna for the Varta Blue, or £165 for the d's b's Varta AGM (all 3yr g'tee)

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Ok Bosch type 7HM, 75Ah, 720A £61 from Costco.

When I go to pick it up (next week), I will check what other size batteries they have that would fit.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Alfa quoted me around £70 for OE battery.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
BUT I got mine from local motor factors for £47.

Should have done that in one post!!

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
I got mine from MB as per earlier post.
I was just thinking re the 100Ah battery.

With sat nav, dsp , electric seats, all the other drains but more so the heated rear window and the heated seats all add up to require a large reserve capacity in the battery.Good deal dougie but mine has an Original Mercedes Benz sticker but probably not worth the extra cash for it.(And No Guartantee as the Alfa doesn't have a Merc chassis no.)

Pomeo.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Guys, can you post the tech spec for what you have bought?

Price, make, g'tee, Ah, A & physical size(wxdxh)/type no.

Cheers.

To start this......

My OEM battery:

£100 (est from ePer), exide, 3yr g'tee (guessing) 100Ah, 470A, 340x170x190

Bosch (to be purchased yet)
£61, bosch, 4 yr g'tee, 75Ah, 720A, 7HM (think it will be 270x175x190 but not sure)

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Will have a look at mine but know it is a heavy duty beast that fills the tray fully.

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
The Merc Battery is the same size as the Alfa Romeo 100Ah which came out of it.
Re batteries its not the size of the casing BUT what is in it that counts.

Think of the old Ford Orion....G,Gl and Ghia.....Batteries I think can be the same.

Pomeo

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Guys, can you post the tech spec for what you have bought?

Price, make, g'tee, Ah, A & physical size(wxdxh)/type no.

Cheers.

To start this......

My OEM battery:

£100 (est from ePer), exide, 3yr g'tee (guessing) 100Ah, 470A, 340x170x190

Bosch (to be purchased yet)
£61, bosch, 4 yr g'tee, 75Ah, 720A, 7HM (think it will be 270x175x190 but not sure)

Ok, just put in:
Bosch silver, 4yr g'tee, 95Ah, 720A, 6something, 350x170x190 - lists 164 as fitting size, but just looked better than the Bosch recommended wimpy-size. I think the extra 20A spare is worthwhile :D .

Oh, and £63, so only £2 more :)

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Remembered to check tonight - Only label on top said 12v, 700cca.

I assume there is more hidden at side front or back.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts