Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening folks

Its been exactly one week since I collected the GTV and boy has it gone fast! I can’t remember buying a car that I’ve enjoyed driving and getting attention from as i have done with the GTV. And a week on (despite the odd comments!) I'm still on that number 9 cloud.

I wasn’t expecting a 100% perfect car, after all its nearly 10 years old, but I can’t find a whole lot wrong with it. I’ve put just over a 1000 miles on it in a week and have made a few observations, which I'm going to assume are either GTV quirks or simple problems that can be taken care of, they are:

Indicators not self cancelling – I test drove 2 GTVs and this was on both cars so I'm assuming this is a feature, something to get used to I guess! :lol:

Seats – took me a couple of days to find a good position, but I could have sworn I read somewhere that there is a seat mod that enables you to lower the seat a little, am I talking rubbish here or is there one?

A simple question to do with keys (and I really did search first! Honest!) When I bought the car I got 2 keys, which I have concluded are the brown master key and the red valet key, what I was trying to figure out was what type of key is missing. I’ve seen a few different types just on the GTVs and I'm now totally confused! A key question (pardon the pun!) is does the key I'm missing work the central locking? Or should I have an alarm fob of some type??

the keys i've got:

Engine/coolant temperature – where should the needle be pointing after travelling for a few minutes? It currently hovers a little before and a little pass the 90C marker in town driving and around the 50C mark when on the motorway, I'm guessing this is normal but wouldn’t mind a bit of clarification

Apart from those little things I’ve got no complaints, the car’s been great, it gets a lot of attention, looks good in a car part full of exotica and I couldn’t be more pleased!

Look forward to your comments!

UMB

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi UMB, I got my first GTV 6 days ago and am on the same cloud as you although albeit a 2.0 TS cloud and not a V6 one.

My indicators don't self cancel either and also my temp guage runs the same as yours. 90c in town and 50c on motorways or long A roads etc.

As for the keys. I got two with mine as well and one of them has the transponder in it which the local Alfa dealership have confirmed is the master key. Mine is a Dec 01 model and has a red key with remote central locking button and this is the key the dealership say is the master key. Apparently its the same as a 156 key and the dealership told me Alfa keys are a minefield and there are many different types/combinations. I don't have a keycode card either but the dealership informed me that only the earlier models needed this.

Hope this is of some help. Good luck with the V6

K

·
0 Posts
Engine/coolant temperature – where should the needle be pointing after travelling for a few minutes? It currently hovers a little before and a little pass the 90C marker in town driving and around the 50C mark when on the motorway, I'm guessing this is normal but wouldn’t mind a bit of clarification
Glad you're enjoying your car!! The thermostat is broken and needs replacing as soon as possible.

·
Registered
37,347 Posts
I am getting my GTV tomorrow. I hope I will be as happy as you guys.

Have a look here, this is a fix for non self cancelling indicators on the Fiat Coupe, and as far as I am aware the setup is the same (although the stalks themselves are different).

UBB Message - Fiat Coupe Forum

Simon.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Hi glad to hear you are happy with your GTV.

The indicator should self cancel (at least it does on mine). If you are turning left i find my knee cancels it anyway though.

The keys you should have are as follows 2 x red with Alfa badge on with grey Meta alarm fobs, 1 x red valet key, 1 x brown master key and a red alarm code card. (that is dependant on the age of the car.....i think , but certainly dependant on whether your car is UK or European import. If the car has your chassis number etched into the passenger side bottom of the rear window thens its UK.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
I think the standard key set up is brown master, red valet, and one or two red keys with Alfa badge and central locking/alarm button. Your temperature gauge does just what mine does, and I would consider this normal, having tried two new thermostats, and testing the current one with a jam thermometer and saucepan of water and finding it opens at the required temp., 88 from memory. So either my sender is wrong or the gauge is. Either way I'm not bothered as performance is adequate as is economy. Also, I notice that it tends to run a bit hotter when the air-con is operating. I don't know about the indicator fix, mine works mostly and sometimes doesn't. If you find the lights inadequate try Ring headlight bulbs before messing about with HID. If you are not already, prepare to become a "car nut", GTV has that effect, although I suppose more correctly you will become a GTV nut. They really can get under your skin! Brilliant choice.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi UMB, I got my first GTV 6 days ago and am on the same cloud as you although albeit a 2.0 TS cloud and not a V6 one.

My indicators don't self cancel either and also my temp guage runs the same as yours. 90c in town and 50c on motorways or long A roads etc.

As for the keys. I got two with mine as well and one of them has the transponder in it which the local Alfa dealership have confirmed is the master key. Mine is a Dec 01 model and has a red key with remote central locking button and this is the key the dealership say is the master key. Apparently its the same as a 156 key and the dealership told me Alfa keys are a minefield and there are many different types/combinations. I don't have a keycode card either but the dealership informed me that only the earlier models needed this.

Hope this is of some help. Good luck with the V6
Thanks Marky, im glad that the indicators and the temp issue isnt just mine! i had a quick word with an Alfa dealer near me, so im a little wiser about the keys, when i get the full details i'll share that with everyone just in case anyone else come accross the same issues

Glad you're enjoying your car!! The thermostat is broken and needs replacing as soon as possible.
Cheers KungfuPanda...thanks for the warning i'll get that checked out!

I am getting my GTV tomorrow. I hope I will be as happy as you guys.

Have a look here, this is a fix for non self cancelling indicators on the Fiat Coupe, and as far as I am aware the setup is the same (although the stalks themselves are different).

UBB Message - Fiat Coupe Forum

Simon.

thanks, simon (im assuming you have your car by now? how is it going?) interesting link, when i have the time i'll give that a shot, its not really that annoying but if there is a fix worth doing, may as well!

Hi glad to hear you are happy with your GTV.

The indicator should self cancel (at least it does on mine). If you are turning left i find my knee cancels it anyway though.

The keys you should have are as follows 2 x red with Alfa badge on with grey Meta alarm fobs, 1 x red valet key, 1 x brown master key and a red alarm code card. (that is dependant on the age of the car.....i think , but certainly dependant on whether your car is UK or European import. If the car has your chassis number etched into the passenger side bottom of the rear window thens its UK.

Hope that helps
im 100% sure its a UK car, so i guess the only bits i need are the code card (which i can only get once my V5 comes back) and the keys & fobs, thanks for the help!

I managed to fix the self cancel mechanism, it's a bit of a pain getting the steering wheel off but once you have see guide here to repair the indicators.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/just-images-registered-only/157167-refurbed-indicator-stalks.html

Welcome to the V6 club : )
misterchase, another interesting link, which is now saved! thanks!!

I think the standard key set up is brown master, red valet, and one or two red keys with Alfa badge and central locking/alarm button. Your temperature gauge does just what mine does, and I would consider this normal, having tried two new thermostats, and testing the current one with a jam thermometer and saucepan of water and finding it opens at the required temp., 88 from memory. So either my sender is wrong or the gauge is. Either way I'm not bothered as performance is adequate as is economy. Also, I notice that it tends to run a bit hotter when the air-con is operating. I don't know about the indicator fix, mine works mostly and sometimes doesn't. If you find the lights inadequate try Ring headlight bulbs before messing about with HID. If you are not already, prepare to become a "car nut", GTV has that effect, although I suppose more correctly you will become a GTV nut. They really can get under your skin! Brilliant choice.
im glad the temp issue isnt actually an issue, if its the same as what everone else's does then i shouldnt worry too much yet. i noticed the AC / hot aire thing too, this is when the temp gauge goes a little above 90C, but its something i can look at more closely at some point thanks for the lighting tips, dont think i'll need them right now bu im sure when the darker weather sets in it will be needed, not going to try HIDs just yet...

im already a car nut (even if i do say so myself!) and thats why i waited till i found a good alfa that i can afford to look after. touch wood everythng is going well!!

again, thanks for all your replies! :thumbs::thumbs:

·
Registered
691 Posts
Actually, I think that around 90C in town is correct as mine does it as well as the dozen or so other people on here who report the same. Secondly, the handbook states "the pointer should normally be towards the middle of the scale."

Glad that you are enjoying your GTV, UMB. I have had mine for tow years tomorrow and I love it just as much as the day I drove it home. Like no other car I have had until now and I have no plans to ever change it. :D

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi

If it is 50 on the motorway the thermostst IS faulty. Mine was just like that and when I changed the stat it stays around 90 even on the mway. Bit over or a bit under depending on fan status. I verified the guage temp when I hooked up the laptop to the ecu.

Berni

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
It currently hovers a little before and a little pass the 90C marker in town driving and around the 50C mark when on the motorway, I'm guessing this is normal but wouldn’t mind a bit of clarification
Congrats on the car! Your temp readings are exactly what my car was showing until I changed the 'stat, now it's 90 in traffic and 70+ on the Mway, your one does need changing.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Good news on the car!
From the sounds of things, I'm also running with a faulty thermostat... (Around 70 on main roads, 90 in town)

K

·
0 Posts
Actually, I think that around 90C in town is correct as mine does it as well as the dozen or so other people on here who report the same. Secondly, the handbook states "the pointer should normally be towards the middle of the scale."
90 around town is fine.. its the 50 on the motorway that's not right. With the extra airflow through the radiator the stat should close to keep things above 70 at least.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I read every so often , and worry about running temperatures , subject is always cropping up

i have run mine with the gauge showing 50 on motorways and 90 when in traffic for nigh on three years and over 60,000 miles. never missed a beat and 32mpg at 80+ to work and back (mainly motorway 20 there 20 back)
in three years i have replaced front tyres 3 times, i dont hang about in corners either . I have regularly ragged the **** off it.
why should i think anything need attention in the themostat department ?

·
Registered
691 Posts
90 around town is fine.. its the 50 on the motorway that's not right. With the extra airflow through the radiator the stat should close to keep things above 70 at least.
Oh right. Don't actually know what mine reads on the motorway. I think it is about 70, from memory. Will check next time.

K

·
0 Posts
why should i think anything need attention in the themostat department ?
It increases engine wear. Whether or not this eventually leads to engine failure is by no means certain - it just increases the odds.

What is certain is that a cold engine produces less power so fix it if only for that reason :cool:

K

·
0 Posts
Good news on the car!
From the sounds of things, I'm also running with a faulty thermostat... (Around 70 on main roads, 90 in town)
Nothing wrong with yours. :thumbs:

It will go all the way down to 50 on the motorway if its buggered

1 - 17 of 17 Posts