Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
currently running a 1.9ti with a remap giving 200bhp and have been offered a 2010 2.4ti qtronic which will also have a remap giving 250bhp. The question is it worth the change? Given the 2.4 engine and auto box will be heavier is there any performance advantage?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
It'll probably go faster in a straight line, but won't go round corners as well. You'll really have to test drive it to see. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Can't comment on the auto box but the 2.4 is a much torquey engine and pulls a lot harder I found.

That said the auto box will stifle some of this power, depends on how much you want an auto as there may not be much difference on performance between the two

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
...and the Q Tronic saps performance too so yet more drag:(.
How did you work that out? Take a look at the figures, 0.2 secs to 60 difference is nothing and i think im more than happy to sacrafice 0.2 secs for not having to row backwards and fowards through a manual gearbox and working a clutch in todays awful, crowded roads. The Qtronic is a good box and very good in sport mode, does away with DMF/clutch issues and suits the 2.4 well.
OP, ive got one and would recommend it to anyone

A

·
0 Posts
How did you work that out? Take a look at the figures, 0.2 secs to 60 difference is nothing
Thats exactly how I worked it out....slower is slower after all:thumbs:. I have no doubt it is a good box but what I'm saying is not only is the engine heavier, but the performance is slower....facts are facts....if you can live with that and have better charecteristics in the real world then great:).

·
Registered
87 Posts
Talk to Adie at AHM about remaps, he recons more than 250BHP from a 2.4, and with the DPF removal alot more and epic torque.

The 159 platform is better suited to the weight of the 5 pot than the old 156 so doenst suffer with the old understeer issues

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
i think the q-tronic 2.4's can't accept as powerful a map as the manuals so 250bhp might be a bit hopeful

it would still be quicker than a mapped 1.9 though, but thirstier and maybe a little less agile due to the weight difference (approx 100kg - mostly up front)

you pays your money, you takes your choice...

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
The map is 10 bhp less powerful for gearbox behaviour, or so im told. An automatic box with a torque converter is stronger setup than a normal car (not performance) with clutch and manual box

1 - 14 of 14 Posts