Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Could anybody tell me why my 159 1.9TDM engine sometimes softly flutters (very low level engine pulsations) with some loss of power at about 2200rpm in 4th gear while on the motorway. Changing up to 3rd gear and accelerating solves the problem immediately. After a while, symptom goes away, but comes back a week or so later. Normally, the car drives well, but I do quite a lot of short trips about 12km(7.5miles) that I know is not so good for a diesel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,
I ‘ll try to inspect the mass air flow sensor(MAF), as that sounds like a fairly easy job. Inspection/cleaning the ERG seems a daunting task from what I’ve read

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Inspection/cleaning the ERG seems a daunting task from what I’ve read
There is a simple test ....blank it off! ...if it fixes the problem, then it needs cleaning/replacing. if it doesn't then it is something else like the maf.

get a blanking plate off ebay for 4euro's? ....again have a read of the threads on this.

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
if u need to test the maf you could always disconnect the maf connector and take the car for a spin to see if it clears the issue.

EGR cleaning isn't too hard... im sure there is a detailed thread showing how its done. search for egr cleaning ;)

EGR can be located attached to the right rear side of the inlet manifold.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I had similar problems but more often. When I disconnected the MAF it worked fine, but when I tried with a new MAF it was the same like with the old one. In the end, I solved the problem with Fiat EGR restrictive gaskets on both sides. Maybe you can try that if MAF isn’t a culprit and clean EGR as well.

Cona

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it true, if you give the Alfa a good hard run down the motorway the engine self cleans??? Last week, I did just that and the engine seems much better. Doing short trips at relatively low rpm around town seems gum up the works after a time..!

·
Registered
Maserati Quattroporte
1,764 Posts
I'm sure it's true! I do a lot of motorway miles, never had a problem with egr or dpf and never known the car to do a regen as though the dpf can clean itself at high revs

·
Registered
158 Posts
if u need to test the maf you could always disconnect the maf connector and take the car for a spin to see if it clears the issue.

EGR cleaning isn't too hard... im sure there is a detailed thread showing how its done. search for egr cleaning ;)

EGR can be located attached to the right rear side of the inlet manifold.
I might try this as am having a similar problem. I have had a brand new EGR so its unlikely to be that. Question for you technical bods - where would I find the MAF to unplug it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts