Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
just got off the phone with the vereeneging dealer, dealers only unfortunately, park motors charges R1000 for a set

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Benzina. My uncle is going to go for cheap back pads and rather spend the saved money in near future on front EBC pads and discs. Who needs good back brakes if it's FWD with good front brakes. He spoke to midas silverstone they have ferodo number but no stock or price. Where did you buy your pads few month's back.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
wow im suprized they found at midas?? i havent changed them yet but i will have to soon, its nearing the end now... just be warned they usually are able to find the number but they cant get it when they actually enquire, but i really hope thats not the case with you guys, let me know if you come right!

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We found a set. OK scary but it's Messi pads. I know it's crap pads. But who cares it's at the back. Compromise at the back but NO :tut:compromise at the front. At +-R250+Vat it's a bargain considering the back discs is going to last allot longer. Reason being cheaper=softer pads=longer lasting discs. Do you have eLearn for 159 as it shows the tool how to wind in the Caliper piston? I can help with copy if you want.Yeah Ferodo is the only company in SA that has the capital to pay the B pad stencil release fee from manufacture and although they pay the fee and provide the stencil with a number it's their choice as to when and how much of a batch must be made.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
i have elearn for the car thanks, im too lazy too change them anyway haha i hate changing brake pads, i just dump my car at vaal wheel alignment and they always skim my discs and change my brake pads for R200, and at that price its totally worth it for me

Just out of curiosity did you find the messi pads at midas? and do they actually make messi for the front aswell?? im asking because im shocked, i have searched high and low for sooooo long at one stage for alternatice pads for this car and it all lead to the same thing, dealers only....

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He is going to fetch the pads today. It's at euro spares in 40 monte carlo cres kyalami office park midrand.
The guy (enzo) assured me it's for the 159 jts models. When he told me he had at that price I was :wow: I'll ask uncle to take pics. Gertie didn't give a good review of messi pads on the front of his 156. I'll only recommend messi pads for the back as your main braking is done at the front.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
If true what's the part no for 1.9jts rear b pads,
where can we get it for a reasonable price as local spare's shops can't help.
Gertie didn't give a good review of messi pads on the front of his 156. I'll only recommend messi pads for the back as your main braking is done at the front.
hehe - am I the brake master?

I'm with you on that - the messi's disintegrate if they see TOO much heat - so as long as you don't drive with your handbrake on you'll be fine :lol: The messi's are DAMN cheap - I paid less than R400 for those fronts you know about :p

Dudes - seriously this is a good place to check if pads are the same ;)
SuperSearch Car, Motorcycle, Mountain Bike and Kart parts
So yes - AT THE REAR - the whole 159 range have the same brakes - if in the same production run (note the change in 2008) most are the same up front (bar the high performance cars (1.75BTi 2.4TD and 3.2).

Buy them locally - max 2 weeks wait - http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/south-africa/319081-brakes-and-suspension.html

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
found out messi fronts for the 159 costs R328 :cheese: daaaammmnnnn thats cheap in comparison to the OEM, OEM costs R1200 a set and thats with discount, mind you the OEM is also a very soft pad, finished mine in 40 000km i think.............

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok the messy pads was in wrong box it was fiat pads. Found alternative Ferodo pads for the back. FDB1617 Nissan MICRA/RENAULT PADS R420 at Midas.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The outer Back pads:thumbs: Inner back pads had a bit of a problem. Minor and I mean minor grinding needed on the curvature of the pad to fit curvature of the disc.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
jeepers, ended up buying the messi, drove aaaaallll the way from vereeniging to kyalami, when i wanted to get them fitted, suprize suprize they arent the right stuff *facepalm* thats one thing but the way these guys handled the situation is what made me upset, would you believe the oke who sold me the pad said ja my mechanic is a doos and he doesnt know a thing and they supply the whole SA network of alfa spares shops with parts blah blah blah swear blah swear swear blah blah blah. i even had a look myself and there was no way in hell they would fit, i ended up buying ATE from midas, took the messi back, showed him the difference and still he would argue with me. atleast ended up getting my money back but damnit these guys are a bunch of hooligans, i wasnt dealing with enzo though, this was some short fat loudmouth man with curly hair and some italian attire, but i tell you hes the type of italian italy doesnt want in their country. ugh................ :rant:

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah they come here to make a million and tell us what to do. If it's the wrong pads they supplied(smaller) my uncle phoned them (enzo) said he'll look into it. I'd rather buy a bag of potatoes from a Porra than buy a set of brake pads from an Italian(this place) ever again my uncle. Sorry my advice caused you some in direct heart palpitations but I did say in post #11 messi pads was wrong. How much did you pay for ATE's at which midas and whats the ATE number?

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
hey dont worry, im not blaming you, had to find out if the front ones was right and thanks to my faulty memory they looked right until i tried to fit them, just thought id give you a heads up in total about these guys, but anyway, yes i bought mine at midas three rivers eurospar centre, i dont know the ATE number as i sold the brake pad in their box with my car, but the trick is to ask for brera 2.2 pads as the 159 isnt listed in the book :rolleyes: i got mine for 705 but that was at major discount, i think their normal price is 800. also got the right oil filter from them, just asked for opel zafira 2.2 oil filter hahahahaha! thats just sad lol.

Anyways back to midas, give them a call and ask for timothy, hes one of the few bright minds there and helped me a lot in the past with difficult parts eversince he came there their number: 0164549002

1 - 19 of 19 Posts