Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
evening gents I'm new to this forum but have a quick question about the 1.9 diesel engine as far as I can gather they come in two guises 119ishbhp and 150 bhp.

question is do you just remap a 119 to get a 150? and if not whats involved in tweaking it up?

I recently drove a veloce 150bhp job with a 6 speed box and I was well impressed, to the point I'm considering buying my first diesel.

many thanks for the soon to be arriving, full of wisdom answers.:)

Jim

·
Registered
188 Posts
Im no expert but i just bought the 156 jtd mjet 16v 1.9. my understanding is this is the 140bhp. mine is an 04 plate but i think some of the later engines gave 150bhp. with a remap ive read you can get the 140 to give 150bhp but im perfectly happy with mine. If you want a stupidly fast diesel get the 2.4jtd:thumbs:

·
Registered
207 Posts
im no expert but i just bought the 156 jtd mjet 16v 1.9. My understanding is this is the 140bhp. Mine is an 04 plate but i think some of the later engines gave 150bhp. With a remap ive read you can get the 140 to give 150bhp but im perfectly happy with mine. if you want a stupidly fast diesel get the 2.4jtd:thumbs:
+1

:)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Easy answer.

115BHP = 8valve

140BHP = 16 valve

You can, however, get either re-mapped to add about 30 ish horsepower although I
don't know how much

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
it's true i attended a remapping meet a few months ago and the GT JTDM's and the 156 JTDM both saw increases around that infact the GT may even have gained closer to 40 bhp if memory serves both are 1.9s not to mention huge increases in torque

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
The first JTDs were 8v and had 105bhp (156), then 110 (156), then 115 (147 & 156), then 120 (147 & 156).

Then the JTD mulitjet 16v came out with 140bhp in the 147 and 156 and 150 in the GT.

At the end of the 156's production run a few 150 mjet 156s were built.

Then it was revised and renamed JTDm (for "modificato") with 120bhp and JTDm 16v with 150bhp in all versions.

For some reason Alfa never used the 190bhp twin turbo 16v version :(

In 2007 they introduced a 170 version of the 16v.

Last year the 16v grew to 2 litres with 170.

16vs can be remapped to between 180 and 210 bhp depending on the version.

(Dunno what the twin turbo would make if it was remapped!)

A few people have put bigger turbos on the 16v for approx 280bhp-and posted dyno readouts to prove it.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well I just bought a 115bhp(so 8valve right?) 2003 156 and I'm surprised at the performance. it feels alot quicker than my 1.6 ts 147. I'm happy enough for now but what would my options be for a future remap? and how much can my clutch and gearbox handle!

Thanks for the info so far lads!

·
Registered
166 Posts
We used to look after a 140hp 16v that had been re-mapped to 185 bhp. The clutch used to slip a bit on it so IMHO 185 is about all a standard clutch should be asked to take. Not being an upgrade boffin I don't know what clutch upgrades are available, David C may know or someone who has a re-map.

Rule of thumb though there is always a trade off when upgrading. I.e More power requires bigger brakes or upgrade somewhere else

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wouldnt be looking for anywhere near that! would 140 be possible from an 8v lump, I'm making a big assumption in that brakes clutch and gearbox are the same for 8/16valve variations? or do I have that wrong aswell:) sorry for the barrage of questions but what do you guys think of this?

Fiat Scanner diagnostics Fiat Alfa Romeo for sale in Dublin: €60 - DoneDeal.ie

Might be handy to have in the garage? I would love to get a grip on the whole diagnostics bit:confused:

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
You can get aftermarket uprated clutches, oor use the uprated clutch that the 170 version of the 16v used.

No need to uprate anything really, though-if you get a remap, play it by ear and if the clutch starts to slip then change it, I get approx 170 from my tuning boxed 140 16v and the clutch has never slippped (apart from just before it was replaced, but it has got 100,000+ on it so was replaced cos of general wear n tear).

An 8v 115 would make approx 135 after a remap, it feels faster than a 1.6 TS 147 cos its got loads more torque !

The link you posted is for an OBD lead so you can read faults with your pc.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Did the 170 even use an uprated clutch?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think the gearboxes are different between the 8 valve and 16 valve as the latter has 6 speeds.
The clutch maybe different too. I know the 16 valve has a dual mass flywheel. Not sure about 8 valve. (never done clutch on 8 valve)
The Brakes should be the same though.

Me personally I would go for a re-map to 140 ish or buy a 16 valve

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Me personally I would go for a re-map to 140 ish or buy a 16 valve
Its looking like a remap then, as I just bought an 8valver:rolleyes: I had a go in a stock jtdm veloce and tbh that would do me for pooting round the doors, I know I wouldnt have the six speed 'box but five is plenty for a daily grunt imo.

the 156 is for shifting babies and shopping and the 33 is going to be a bit of a project(thats the plan anyway!)

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Yeah 16v has diff gearbox-6 speed.

I would think that the 8 v hass a dmf as well-the 10v 2.4 has and thats just an 1.9 8v with an extra cylinder added.

Search "remap" and read what people say-you ll find it hard to find someone who regrets it !

1 - 17 of 17 Posts