Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new to the Alfa world and I'm hoping to move from my trusty Fiat Stilo 1.2 (which is my first car and I've had for 8 years now) to an Alfa 159 but I'm torn between either the 1.9 diesel or 1.8 petrol. I've read threads on here and people say the 1.9 is the better choice of the two but I'm worried about DPF problems, sticking EGR valves etc as I only do short journeys. Don't really want to go for the 2.2 as its going to be thirsty and I'd love a 1.75TB but its a bit out of my price range; is the 1.8 any good considering I'm coming from a 1.2 litre 75bhp shopping trolley? :D

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,395 Posts
Hi,

I'm new to the Alfa world and I'm hoping to move from my trusty Fiat Stilo 1.2 (which is my first car and I've had for 8 years now) to an Alfa 159 but I'm torn between either the 1.9 diesel or 1.8 petrol. I've read threads on here and people say the 1.9 is the better choice of the two but I'm worried about DPF problems, sticking EGR valves etc as I only do short journeys. Don't really want to go for the 2.2 as its going to be thirsty and I'd love a 1.75TB but its a bit out of my price range; is the 1.8 any good considering I'm coming from a 1.2 litre 75bhp shopping trolley? :D

Thanks
Petrols the way to go for short journeys. The 1.9JTDm engine suits the 159 well though and makes a lovely combination. I have had a 1.9JTS too and there is a big difference in fuel economy! The 159 is a heavy car, it is also deceptively fast - you never quite feel that you are going as fast as you are! If I were you I think I'd be out there trying to get a long test drive with the computer readout on mpg and see what you think. You might find that there isn't as big a difference between the 2.2 & the 1.8 as you think.

·
Registered
36,768 Posts
I have driven both 159s you are considering and although I'm not a diesel fan I wouldn't recommend the 1.8 engine. It's very characterless as befits a Vectra engine and it lacks the torque of the diesel to get the big 159 off the line.

·
Registered
36,768 Posts
There were some black 1.8 special editions made with 18" alloys and tan leather for the uk. The looked good but drove bland.

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
...is the 1.8 any good considering I'm coming from a 1.2 litre 75bhp shopping trolley? :D
The best advice would be to find one and test drive it.
Everyone's needs are different and although the 1.8MPI is far from being the best engine in the range, it was clearly the right one for a lot of people.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Don't buy a diesel (any brand) if you are not doing at least one journey a day of at least 15+ miles.
I'm sure the 1,9 MPI is worth the extra £s compared to the 1,8. Test drive each and judge your self - good luck.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Don't buy a diesel (any brand) if you are not doing at least one journey a day of at least 15+ miles.
I'm sure the 1,9 MPI is worth the extra £s compared to the 1,8. Test drive each and judge your self - good luck.
You meant 1.9JTS vs 1.8MPI? 1.8MPI is way simpler engine, so theoretically should be much more reliable /cheaper in service - that may be strong reason for somebody. 1.8MPI not at all popular in Poland, so can't say much more about it. On 1.9/2.2 there are some issues related to timing chain/sometimes variators/electro-valves, which are costly if you service it in AR dealer (today people know where/what parts from GM to buy to get at least some (except variators) sorted out in reasonable money).
1.8MPI specs not for me for sure (TBI @ 240BHP is one I drive currenly), but for somebody who drives currently 1.2l 78BHP car, MPI still may seem like a power monster.

Regarding 159 1.9JTDM 16V - I used to have one for 6 years, mainly did short mileages on daily basis like 3-5km twice a day, maybe once a week 10-20km run, every month/two say 100-200km, once a year 1000km. Never had single problem with DPF - it was burn every around 1200km. Though I know that some people have issues - not sure, maybe they do not do that once per week 20km in one run, or once per month longer, and that is reason for clogging DPF?

The best advice would be to find one and test drive it.
Everyone's needs are different and although the 1.8MPI is far from being the best engine in the range, it was clearly the right one for a lot of people.
Agree

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Quote: You meant 1.9JTS vs 1.8MPI? 1.8MPI is way simpler engine, so theoretically should be much more reliable /cheaper in service - that may be strong reason for somebody.

Yes I meant 1,9 JTS - The 159 1,8 was never marketed in my Native Denmark.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Yes I meant 1,9 JTS - The 159 1,8 was never marketed in my Native Denmark.
I'm not quite sure if 1.9JTS has any advantage vs. 2.2JTS - the same potential problems (M32, timing chain; BTW 1.8MPI also has M32 I think, and TBI also has one), probably only by fraction less fuel hungry, but 2.2JTS is more powerful, what for me woudl be advantage. Maybe depends on country - in some countries registration or road tax or insurance could make a lot of difference (e.g. in Poland there is 18.6% excise tax for >=2.0L engines for first in country registration, where below 2.0L it is 3.1% only)?

believe 1.8MPI still may be good option for somebody who is not looking for power. Last year I seen a few adverts of 1.8MPI, and they were quite good price, with what suprised me superior specs (say like leather seats, navi, xenon etc). Best to drive one and see if engine suits the buyer, and check how MPG looks like with quite heavy 159 with weakest engine.

One more note, 1.8MPI potentialliy is the easiest/cheapest to add LPG also if one needs cheap everyday run as well, JTS(and TBI) has direct injection and that significantly increases price of LPG as well as increases possibility of other issues.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts