Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to put new plugs in, wanting some advice as to whether these are an easy do for a novice spannerman such as myself? Any hints or tips?

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
very easy...if it goes as it should!

it will depend on if the old ones come out without a struggle

getting the old ones out SHOULD be easy as well, if not soak in plusgas or similar for 24hrs and go again. be careful as you really don't want any of them to break off in the head.

torque wrench will help when putting new ones in but if you don't have one just use common sense and don't over tighten.

can't remember the siae but you will need an extension to get in there.

good luck

:thumbup:

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
9mm deep socket is required, then it is easy as long as the plugs play ball

HTH
And if they don't it's a pig of a job.

Preparation is the key:

As mentioned above, plus gas/WD40 down the holes for days before you tackle the job. Deep socket required, someone said 9mm, I can't recall, but it's a must.

I think the secret is very steady pressure while undoing the plug, very small and smooth action pushing down on the socket at the same time as you ratchet, this will hopefully move the plug a small amount.

If it doesn't move, or moves a tiny bit squirt some more juice down it and try the next plug.

Don't try and be the Hulk and bust them out, they will break.

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
Just be careful to follow tips as above on...
If you are hard enough and have broken glow plug inside, you would bear blockhead strip to extract it.
Again, be careful...150k ( kms ) glow plugs are not quite friendly...
PS. No real needs to replace all of them to avoid yellow elm.

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
also best done with a hot engine. Rather than use a even force, a couple of sharp snaps will get them out, sustained high force will snap them.

HTH

1 - 9 of 9 Posts