Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read as many old threads on this as I can find, but haven't found a definitive answer. :)

Noticed my temp gauge fluctuating between 80 and 90 today. 80 when idling/cruising, up to 90 when giving some beans. Then back down to 80 when letting the foot off. Haven't noticed it doing this before.

New timing belt and water pump a couple of days ago. No loss of coolant according to the reservoir. Outside temp about 4 degrees.Heater working fine.

Is this fluctuation normal? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Once up to temp it should not drop below 90 degrees. I guess if it was really, really, cold it might fluctuate a bit but it still sounds like a sluggish thermostat to me.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking that way, isn't it? That'll be the next job, then.

Is it an easy enough job on these cars, or less hassle to get the garage to do it?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I noticed that mine barely went over 70 this morning until I got to the back roads and put my foot down, once off them it dropped slightly below 90 again, put it down to the air temperature outside, it was -2.5C when I left the house.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Outisde temp doesn't seem to make any much difference on my car currently - ranging from -2.5 to 8 or 9 yesterday, same variation on temp gauge.

Got a stat coming from shop4parts, arriving today. So will get it changed tomorrow and see whether that makes any difference. Won't do any harm to have a new stat in there, for peace of mind oif nothing else.

I'll report back once it's changed (assuming I can get at the bottom bolt). :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, just to round this one off ... new thermostat seems to have solved this. On a short run after replacing, it sits at 90 rock solid, no movement.

Plugged into AlfaOBD the temp fluctuates between around 86 and just over 90 while on a run.

Thermostat change was easy enough. Battery had to come out, and I attempted to remove the tray too, which would have made it easier. However, the rearmost bolt wasn't for moving. Managed anyway.

The two 13mm stat bolts can be reached with a short socket extension, easier with a 3/8 than a 1/2. You're not working blind for the bottom bolt, because you can see it from the front once the big hose is off.

Hard plastic pipe has to come off the inlet manifold beside the EGR valve, three hex boltt, two of which also hold brackets on. Can then be shoved out of the way without removing completely.

Old hose clips come off fairly easily with a screwdriver and controlled violence. The one behind the temp sensor is easier when the stat is free of the block.

Coolant system appears to be self-bleeding. Fill up to Max, run the engine up to temp. I went out for a run, with the reservoir cap on, otherwise it'd never have got up to temp in this weather.

Not a difficult job at all, as it turne out. Took me about 2 and a bit hours, taking my time, drinking coffe, and cleaning stuff as I went along.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Good to know, mines definitely been acting the same, goes up to 90 as I go uphill, but drops down to 70 or below when coming back down the other side.

The front shock absorbers needs replacing anyway as the front passenger side is knocking when going over small bumps so I'll get the garage to do the thermostat at the same time.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like a similar thing, right enough.

Unless you have plentiful cash reserves, I'd be checking the price of the shockers your garage intends to put on. I left it to my garage to put a wheel bearing and upper suspension arm on last week and it cost me £400 because they got genuine parts from the motor factor. I could have saved £200 by getting them from Shop4parts ... slightly miffed.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sounds like a similar thing, right enough.

Unless you have plentiful cash reserves, I'd be checking the price of the shockers your garage intends to put on. I left it to my garage to put a wheel bearing and upper suspension arm on last week and it cost me £400 because they got genuine parts from the motor factor. I could have saved £200 by getting them from Shop4parts ... slightly miffed.
They were £130 a piece including fitting, plus £65 for the thermostat, genuine alfa parts.

The thermostat has definitely resolved the fluctuating gauge issue and it definitely feels like a good chunk of power has returned, I was beginning to wonder if I'd just gotten used to it.

The new shockers didn't resolve the knocking however (they did need doing, the passenger side one had no oil left in it), but this morning he believes it's actually the upper wish bone causing the knocking, looking at £130/40 for a new one, should get it back by tea time. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
My Tbi used to be rock solid at 90c but I now see it drops occasionally. So I've been meaning to order up a thermostat.
Is it all Fiat family thermostats that get sluggish? The 156 had 2. The wife's Punto needs one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts