Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My cars starting with some smoke lately, so I thought I d change the glow plugs to see if it improves things, theyve not been changed since I ve had it.

I came across an ebay listing that claims that 1.9 170s have different glow plugs than other 1.9s.

I ve searched alfaowner to verify this, but cant see any threads mentioning it, apart from this one in the 159/Brera forum :

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-159-brera-andamp-946-spider/1107313-beru-gn059-vs-gn069.html

Alfaworkshop lists glow plugs for the 170 engine separately (Alfa part number 55208177, Beru part number GN069, no Bosch equivalent that I can find). Various other places do too and although quite a few dont and list the same plug for all 16v 1.9s (one also says that 1.9 150s use this plug as well), I m convinced that they they do indeed use different plugs.

Theyre the same 5mm longer plugs as 159/Brera 2.4 210s (there is some dispute about which 2.4s used these plugs).

Just thought I d open a thread about it seeing as I couldnt find any.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
I also thought that it was just the later 210 2.4s that used the longer glow plugs, Best way to tell is to take one or more of yours out and measure them.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also thought that it was just the later 210 2.4s that used the longer glow plugs, Best way to tell is to take one or more of yours out and measure them.
I ve already taken a plug out and measured it, its the shorter type, but as I m the 5th owner and its on 113,000 miles, it doesnt really tell me anything.

·
Registered
JTD 8v stage1+
614 Posts
I know, thats what I said in the first post !!
Ok and you need to know about if others engines use the same glowplugs or not?

55208177 for:

1.9 JTDm 170
2.4 JTDm 20v 210

46792355 for:

1.9 JTD 120, 140, 150 CF3
1.9 JTD 150 CF4
2.4 JTDm 20v 175
2.4 JTDm 20v 200

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was saying I d just discovered it and that no one here seems to have mentioned it before (well only on 159/Brera 2.4s, its not seen discussed for 147/GTs) so I opened the thread for general info.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So the 1.9 170hp uses a different cylinder head to all the other 1.9s Never knew that.
I know the 2.4s with different heads use these plugs, but I dont think the 1.9 170s do, they just use longer plugs . . . I think.

The 3 known differences between the 170 1.9 and all other 1.9 16vs are the common rail pump, the injectors and the map. Although we can add a 4th (the plugs) to that now, never heard that it has a different head.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ve just looked here :

https://alfa-romeo.7zap.com/en/

and there are 2 heads for the 1.9 in the 147, but I m not sure the different design is specifically for the 170 - i know that the design of the head was changed a bit for later cars as I ve heard that the valves break more easily on cars with these later heads. I guess it could be that the plugs are for all cars with the different heads and not just the 170s. Maybe the listing on ebay that said the longer plugs were for 150 and 170 1.9s (but GT only, not 147s) is correct and it varies between cars like it does on the 159/Brera 2.4s ?

Maybe pud can shed some light . . . ?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I’m glad I saw this thread, I’ve recently changed my glow plugs on my 170 GT and bought the recommended (shorter) Bosch. On removal of old plugs I noticed that three of them were longer (beru) and the other was a shorter bosch.
Since changing the startup hasn’t improved and to be honest may even be worse.
Looks good like I’m going to have to do some more digging and probably have to buy some more.
Cheers
Chris

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’m glad I saw this thread, I’ve recently changed my glow plugs on my 170 GT and bought the recommended (shorter) Bosch. On removal of old plugs I noticed that three of them were longer (beru) and the other was a shorter bosch.
Since changing the startup hasn’t improved and to be honest may even be worse.
Looks good like I’m going to have to do some more digging and probably have to buy some more.
Cheers
Chris
Glad its helped someone, the cheapest set I found was from here :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Glow-Plu...h=item1eefb17be2:g:e0sAAOSwUP5b~kqg:rk:1:pf:0

theyre in Latvia and they ll take 10 days to arrive, but I m not paying stupid prices - some people are selling them at £35 each FFS ! You can pick the shorter type up for £24 for 4!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks, have you got yours yet. Might even put the old ones back in the meantime as I’m sure it was starting better before.
Cheers

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, have you got yours yet. Might even put the old ones back in the meantime as I’m sure it was starting better before.
Cheers
Nah, I only oredered them yesterday.

Why dont you put them back and find out which ones arent working ? It could just be the short one or just 2 of them, I saw the long plugs for as cheap as £11 each on DrAuto or one of those similar parts sites.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Quick update, the glow plugs arrived just after Christmas and I fitted them but weather has been quite mild until last few days so I’ve had to wait until now to see if they have improved the cold starting.
Glad to say she is starting much easier now.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
I ve just looked here :

https://alfa-romeo.7zap.com/en/

and there are 2 heads for the 1.9 in the 147, but I m not sure the different design is specifically for the 170 - i know that the design of the head was changed a bit for later cars as I ve heard that the valves break more easily on cars with these later heads. I guess it could be that the plugs are for all cars with the different heads and not just the 170s. Maybe the listing on ebay that said the longer plugs were for 150 and 170 1.9s (but GT only, not 147s) is correct and it varies between cars like it does on the 159/Brera 2.4s ?

Maybe pud can shed some light . . . ?
I think the different head design was for valve stem width,when I had a recon for my 159 Ned at autolusso said the heads they supply have thinner stems so I might need to change rockers if mine was the thicker ones.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts