Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the 20bhp difference on the two GT 1.9 diesel engines down to the engine map or are there physical differences? I've always assumed the former but I've noticed some remap company's quote higher figures for the 170bhp model. Incidentally, the latter seems very rare if ads on eBay, Autotrader, etc are anything to go by.

Also, has anybody tried the chip packages offered by Racechip and others? Some reviews say they are good while others reckon it's all smoke and mirrors and a remap is the only way to go.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As I thought. Odd then that some remap companies sometimes quote higher figures for the 170 model. Mind you, at my age (nearly 60) the stock 150 seems powerful enough. Celtic Tuning, who I have used a few times said they could offer 210 bhp. That was fine for me about 8 or 9 years ago but not now. They did make the car response much smoother though.

·
Registered
JTD 8v stage1+
472 Posts
Yes, JTDm 150 is powerfull to tune (Alfa did it). Celtic always seems push maps harder than other, well their estimation for my engine (1.9 JTD 115) is 163bhp and I did that exactly with my own map (Maha DIN70020) and it's not the limit.

Wow you registered here in 2002, soon 20 years!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had a 146 2.0 then. had a 146 1.8 before that and then going back years before I had a lovely Alfasud 1.5 Gold Cloverleaf, which was the 4 door 95 bhp model. Now it would be the quadrifoglio d'oro no doubt. What a car. After the Alfasud, Alfa didn't seem to make a car that appealed to me.
Now I've owned 12 Alfas in total..

·
Registered
JTD 8v stage1+
472 Posts
12... :oops:

Alfasud is out of my time but 155-145-146 are well known for me, they may be not very Alfa but were great cars at dificult times, I loved 145-146 Boxer and 147-156 with incredible driving response. All were misundertood good cars and terrible marketing.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 156 did pretty well even if it didn't compete with BMW, etc as it should have done.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quick search on Google shows one 170 bhp GT. Bidding was going well although it doesn't mention the date of the last cambelt and water pump change.

·
Registered
485 Posts
The only physical difference is the injectors, everything else is down to mapping.

For normal road use both are equally tunable.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wonder why Alfa didn't make all Diesels 170 bhp? They're Alfas, owners would have preferred more power out of the box.

·
Registered
485 Posts
True but the difference is minimal and it's the torque we feel most on the road.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just remember the 170 models also have the LSD which helps the GT corner so much better. Very useful when you’ve mapped it to around 200+

1 - 12 of 12 Posts