Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My volume has to be set at 30 - 40 to be loud enough to hear, Its the standard radio OEM in the car. I think its wrong - can Gt owners advise please?:confused:

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
has it always been like that? i presume you don't have the Bose setup? does it have the microphone in the cubby hole next to the handbrake?

possibilities include:
*accidental activation of 'mute' (attenuation) function
*headunit has converted to 'Bose mode', which lowers the output

does your headunit have settings for preset equaliser curves (ie: jazz, vocal, etc) and other tuning features? it should (presuming you don't have Bose); and if not, then it suggests it's stuck in Bose mode (which disables these features).

:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive only had the car for 6 weeks (only been in for garage repairs for 1 week of that). It came like that and i have set all bass, treble, fader to zero. Mute not on, im a newbie with the GT so I dont know about Bose mode, I will have a play with settings now though.

·
7,713 Posts
what i've loosely referred to as 'bose mode' (not a proper term, just something i use!) is not something you can set. normally, it is activated by how the car is wired up. so it's not something you would have done wrong or have inadvertantly adjusted; but a problem can arise if there's a malfunction (eg: if battery was flat/disconnected or headunit was replaced/disconnected, etc).

if you ONLY have bass/treble/balance/fade, and no other settings, then that is consistent with the headunit being in 'bose mode'. what occurs under this condition include:
*deactivates other tuning features like preset EQ curves; you are left with only the basic bass/treble/etc
*drops the power output from high level to low level: this suits feeding the Bose amplifier, but not running speakers directly

so, again, i presume your car does not have Bose? aside from how it sounds, the telltale signs include 'Bose' emblem stuck across the tweeter grills in the door, and the sub mounted in the boot on the passenger side.

overall, your problem is consistent with the headunit being stuck in 'Bose mode' when it shouldn't be. that you do not have the bose system, and the headunit powers the speakers directly (no Bose amplifier). and because of Bose mode, the power output is reduced, hence the need for such high volume settings and it not being very loud.

how the headunit goes into bose mode is usually via a trigger wire connected at the back of it. do you want to know - cos are you willing and able to sort it out? otherwise, i won't keep writing...

·
Registered
610 Posts
i'd like to know abou the bose wire thingybob. i have a non bose and have to run it at 35 to be loud enough and only bass treble and balance

R

·
0 Posts
My volume has to be set at 30 - 40 to be loud enough to hear, Its the standard radio OEM in the car. I think its wrong - can Gt owners advise please?:confused:
I think this might actually depend on how cool you are? My missus hates the stereo being loud enough for other roadusers to hear but I like it really loud cos it hides any mechanical noises:cheese: Just joking but didn't know I had a knackered gearbox in an old Fiat UNO till she drove it:D

Maybe the volume level is directly proportional to your age??

·
7,713 Posts
i'd like to know abou the bose wire thingybob. i have a non bose and have to run it at 35 to be loud enough and only bass treble and balance
what's the maximum volume setting on the standard headunit (i can't remember!)?

atop the factory headunit should be a wiring schematic sticker. this is what mine is/was like (my GT had bose):

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL97/467659/19095446/291012684.jpg

note the 'booster in' wire (position A2). when this wire is active (ie: +12V i presume), it triggers the headunit to be bose-compatible ('bose mode'). to be sure it's inactive, you could disconnect it or even cut it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts