Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, hope someone out htere can shed some light on this,

The car, 147 Jtd m-jet 16v 2004 model, has had regular services with recommended selenia oil, and has done about 75k miles.

It has developed a heavy ticking noise / clattery knocking sound , you can hear it more inside the car than outside.. The ticking it linked to engine speed.. seems to be loudest between 1500---2500rpm- i guess, you can hear it more toward the end of the video.

Incase it was internal we tried some oil thickener to check to see if it went away ( as if it might have been caused by cam followers, bearings ect..) didn't seem to change the sound much at all.

I recorded a short video to demonstrate the noise, (engine cover removed)

In comparison to my other car (same spec) this engine is generally much noisier, despite the other car not having an undertray or top engine cover..!

Any ideas most welcome!!

IMGP5707.mp4 video by szbrozek - Photobucket

thanks for looking.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Has that sound developed slowly, getting stronger by time ?
In that case you should check injectors which could be clogged...

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It appeared suddenly, ... might have only suddenly got audiable, and may have been there longer..

It seemed to start around the same time as a service.. :cry: We've tried oil thickener to see if that dampens the noise -to see if its bearing related.. but no change..! :? wierd..

Wonder if its Power steering pump?

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,134 Posts
As losa says, it will be the injectors, snapping shut. I had the same problem intermittently on my 159, combined with rough running and increased fuel consumption. Monza Sport used a fuel flush on my last service, its been perfect since.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
aah.. maybe worth a try..

I did have a listen to the sound of the injectors.. 1 of them deffinately sounded alot sharper than others..

Is fuel flush something that can be bought retail..?

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
Try Wynn's Commonrail diesel injector cleaner. About £6.99 from Halfords. Put it into just under half a tank of fuel. Then give it a good run. This will clear most of the rubbish out. Do this every 3 months and you should be fine.

One more thing. Don't use supermarket fuel. This is bad for the injectors. Try BP Ultimate diesel, ok it's more expensive, but this also will help to keep things clean, give you more power, and this fuel does quieten the usual diesel clatter as well.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to get a fresh tank or Shell / BP fuel and dump a load of additives in and see what happens..

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1/2 tank of shell V-Power Diesel, 2 bottles of Redex.

Lets see if any noise changes..

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
hmm I may do this as my diesel is pretty noisy too. Nothing like yours though bud

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the same problem... but it started at about 100,000 kms... I am at 150,000 now and it is driving me crazy... feel like I am driving a truck.

I will try the Injector cleaner.

Thanks

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
we've looked at the injector correction values in fiatecuscan,

1 of them was way out of range compared to the others, the normal range is -0.9mm3 to +0.9mm3 , 1 injector was operating in the 1.4-1.9mm3 range, so definately worn or clogged. (but it didnt seem to be the same injector making the metalic clattery noise)?

will try some inj cleaner again, or look for a replacement inj or set.

·
Registered
111 Posts
we've looked at the injector correction values in fiatecuscan,

1 of them was way out of range compared to the others, the normal range is -0.9mm3 to +0.9mm3 , 1 injector was operating in the 1.4-1.9mm3 range, so definately worn or clogged. (but it didnt seem to be the same injector making the metalic clattery noise)?

will try some inj cleaner again, or look for a replacement inj or set.
Well, if the clattery knocking noise is your only problem, then repair that injector which is producing clattery noise.

And one which is operating at +1.4_1.9 is probably partialy clogged, maybe there are just deposits on tip of injector blocking flow...

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
erm, just as a precaution, check your power steering fluid.

I thought mine was getting a bit "clattery" and then discovered the PS fluid level was only just on the bottom of the dipstick. topped it up and hey presto, noise gone!

Could be totally unrelated I know, but worth checking!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yep. I read about thw pws fluid, double checked. all ok.

the sound only came about after a selenia oil change, so might take the cam cover off and check the hydraulic lifters, maybe it still could be a mechanical noise, but the inj deffinetly needs checking!.

What parts are needed to replace an injector /in /out . new fire seals and crush washers? not sure about modern inj types..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have you solved the problem?
It seems that I have the same problem. However, in my case it is occasional. One stop it is there, and the other is not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello Stefz, just seen your post. Have found out what caused that clattery knocking noise on your 1.9 jtdm?
Was it in the end one of the injectors???

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Hello Stefz, just seen your post. Have found out what caused that clattery knocking noise on your 1.9 jtdm?
Was it in the end one of the injectors???
I think the jtd 16v mjet and jtdm are slightly different. Not sure how though

1 - 20 of 22 Posts