Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short Have had the GT for half a year now, was having problems with no power sometimes, temp fix was the Alfa mechanics put a "plate" to block something so other valves or something wouldn't get stuck closed??? Not entirely sure but what ever they did worked for the last 4000km until I took it back today to get the thing sorted once and for all (with a dealer paying ofcorse)

So the part that was meant to be faulty got replaced, it is a silvery part that seems to connect to the engine, has some black pipes comming out of it, it is located at the back of the engine just infront of the power steering reseviour (see pic).

Does anyone know what that part is? What it's called or what it does?

Car was running after this new part for about 3km and then nearly all power was lost, maximum speed on the freeway with the pedal to the metal was 80kph, took it back and they said it just needs a good run to clean out the particulate filter. Did that, saw crap comming out of the exhaust, no more loss of power. Parked the car and came back to it an hour later, car started for 5 seconds and then konked out while at idle, couple of attempts to start with some acceleration and car seems to be starving of air some how and will not start and if it does it lasts 1 second at best.

Mechanic says something like wait untill car is cold and try again, if not they have to send someone out.

In all my years I have never seen anthing like this before, anyone got any ideas about what the issue is or what that part is that is in the photo?????

Also mechanic speaks German so I have only half an idea of what he is telling me.

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok looks like that is the EGR valve I was talking about above...

Now why does changing the EGR valve cause the car not to start or stay on for more than a few seconds????

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
ok looks like that is the EGR valve I was talking about above...

Now why does changing the EGR valve cause the car not to start or stay on for more than a few seconds????
yep looks like EGR.
Never heard of a car cutting out because of it ...or being unable to start. Loss of power -yes, but not cut out.

It just re-circulates gasses back through the engine, for emission purposes.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Yep mine wouldnt start the day me & the missus where going to book our wedding venue:tut: It would spluter and cut out if it carried on it would blow smoke and stutter, I called the rac out he plugged on and came back with fault egr.HE then whacked it with a hammer and the idle smoothed out lol

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL Paul, when in doubt smack it with a hammer lol.

Car has Alfa Romeo assist so now waiting for a call from the tow truck company to see when they can take the car down to the Dealer.

Annoying as the missus and I were going skiing today :(

Apparently Alfa Assist is meant to give a loan car should the dealer not be able to rectify the problem today, anyone know if this is true as well????

Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts