Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know the history of the JTD & JTDm engines.

Reason I ask is because I have a friend with Vauxhall Ashtray and he has the 1.9 CDTI 8V engine and he is telling me till blue in the face that his engine is far more reliable than mine.

I just want to know who actually manufacture his engine (fiat GM etc.) and where did my engine surface from. Which one is which etc. etc.

I have the JTDm 16v (150)

Cheers all.

P.S. I have read Alfa Workshop and Wikipedia to no avail :cry:

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
engine life depends on servicing.......neglect that and neglect to check levels and thats where your problem lies
what you can tell your friend is the jtd and jtdm is the same engine....the "M" is lower emissions so cheaper to tax and gives better fuel economy

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jtd is an Alfa engine 8v or 10v good reliability.

The jtdm however is a GM block which is shipped to fiat, fiat build the engines using the GM block (so it's fiat threw and threw apart from a lump of pig iron).

Fiat developed multijet (Bosch manufacture multijet).

Fiat then put the engines in their cars and send completed engines back to GM (well the 16v don't think vaux used the 20v).

Not sure about gearbox/driveshafts in 156 (159 they are more likely the same).

Your mate is talking ****e. Same water pump, same egr, same egr restrictor gaskets to sort, same dpf.... same bloody engine all made by fiat.

The only difference may be ECU map (not sure how torque BHP compare) and when swirl flaps introduced and later updated to better bearing in flaps but same for engine vaux get from fiat.

The 8v/10v is all fiat/alfa and more reliable than later ones.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
543 Posts
introduced in 2006 for the 147/GT etc and has the CF4 engine
Another interesting point on this - some 55 plate GTs are JTDms. Some (possibly all?) of the 55 plates have the CF4 engine but the CF3 manifold - so the later type engine with none of the swirl flap issues - Bloomin lovely set up!!! I have had the 55 plate and now have the 06 plate which, surprise surprise, recently had leaky flaps - Gotta hate leaky flaps.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers all,

His has been absolutely thrashed in the few years he has owned it and it sounds like a dog, turbo fail twice, alternator 4X, endless shocks and springs etc etc, so every time I see him, he will ask if mine has gone bang yet, what he forgets is I plan to service mine every 6K to 8K where as he will drag the oil usage up to around 18K.

Anyway, above "spider95" you mentioned mine is not the JTDm but just the JTD? on the back of the car it states JTD - MJET, produces 150 BHP. I have seen the CF3 etc mentioned a couple of times, what does the CF3 mean??

Mr Mac, even if the block is from GM but fitted with fiat components / Bosch, is the block still strong and dependable?? I pressume it is just the block but the all the pistons, valves, rockers, cams etc etc etc are all fitted by fiat??

Cheers all

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ahhhh right so in a nut shell dare I say I have a good diesel engine?

I have always wondered about the belt teeth, looking on alfaworkshop it offers the both naturaly, I have thought "how do you tell".

The plan is to service the car every 6k to 8k, as my other thread I shall be dropping Petronas 5W-40 fully syn into her tomorrow. No expense shall be spared in the wake of cheaper bills.

Timing belt was done at 68K, the counter now reads 74918, I bought it at 69920, so I have racked the mileage up.

Just checked the engine code and it reads - 937A5000 150BHP............... Should I be happy?? :lol:

Cheers Spider95

·
Registered
322 Posts
Cheers all,

His has been absolutely thrashed in the few years he has owned it and it sounds like a dog, turbo fail twice, alternator 4X, endless shocks and springs etc etc, so every time I see him, he will ask if mine has gone bang yet, what he forgets is I plan to service mine every 6K to 8K where as he will drag the oil usage up to around 18K.

Anyway, above "spider95" you mentioned mine is not the JTDm but just the JTD? on the back of the car it states JTD - MJET, produces 150 BHP. I have seen the CF3 etc mentioned a couple of times, what does the CF3 mean??

Mr Mac, even if the block is from GM but fitted with fiat components / Bosch, is the block still strong and dependable?? I pressume it is just the block but the all the pistons, valves, rockers, cams etc etc etc are all fitted by fiat??

Cheers all
My understanding is that the jtd has no particulate filter but the jtdm has a particulate filter. The jtdm also is more likely to have egr valve issues as well.
My GT is a 55 plate with the JTD (not m) :lol:

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea, it certainly has that damn and blasted thing fitted.

Semi blanked (4holes in the plate) so I just hope that prolongs the life of the EGR.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
If you're talking about the revised rectangular gasket with the four holes (one in each corner) that will certainly help the inlet manifold side of your engine. But it isn't going to help the EGR, which will still get the full flow of exhaust gases (the flow is up to the EGR, through the EGR, and then into the inlet manifold).

The answer to this is to fit the revised diamond shaped restrictor plate which fits on the other side of the EGR. This has three small holes in a central position of the plate. You need to fit the correct gasket either side of the plate to ensure a good fit.

Official restrictor plate (Alfa Romeo part number 71751469):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiat-Alfa-EGR-Modified-Restrictor-Flow-Plate-Gasket-New-Genuine-71751469-/140916951749?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20cf4e0ac5

However this is pricey, a much better price is a supplier from Poland, who also provides the correct genuine gaskets:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EGR-valve-blanking-block-plate-FIAT-ALFA-LANCIA-1-9-JTDM-VAUXHALL-OPEL-1-9-CDTI-/170892800806?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27ca013326

Avoid the restrictor plate with the one central hole of 9mm - this seems to cause problems, as in some cases not enough exhaust gases are allowed through to trick the ECU.

Of course the best answer is to have a remap with EGR delete. Gus at Alfatune is the master of this. Either way this best approach isn't cheap, the interim alternative is to use the restrictor plates either side of the EGR, this will reduce some of the clogging up on these engines.
Thanks for this. For less than £4 has to be worth a try as I'm bored with cleaning the EGR every few months.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Or you could just clean the EGR valve periodically. This way no restrictor plate and it fuctions as it should do when new.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ahhhh ok...

Would they sell that item at a fiat dealer? or would they only ever sell the plate (or similar) that I have installed.??

Thank you Spider :thumbs:

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Or you could just clean the EGR valve periodically. This way no restrictor plate and it fuctions as it should do when new.
Could do.................. Fed up of cleaning EGR valves :D

To be fair when I did clean mine, barely anything came out, it was fairly clean.... Possible that it has been replaced already by the previous owner... Who knows.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Could do.................. Fed up of cleaning EGR valves :D

To be fair when I did clean mine, barely anything came out, it was fairly clean.... Possible that it has been replaced already by the previous owner... Who knows.
Indeed, I can almost do mine blindfolded but am sick of doing it.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts