Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my gt is poorly. Engine has no power and smokes a lot. Goes into limp mode at 3500 revs. I have removed egr because of misfiring at low revs - cured that - but not remapped yet. I noticed when the problems started and since then an air induction noise and turbo whistle. great but no power. I know I need to check maf and vtr - all hoses seem ok but there is oil about - but in checking I noticed on the underside of the air filter housing in between the two mounting points a circle with 5 holes in it and lots of air coming out. It is some sort of valve as it has a rubber pull in the centre. Looking at photos on the internet it looks as though there should be a plug or something there.

Would someone explain what it is please. Would this cause my problems.

I am sorry if this is common I have searched the forum and internet and can't find any reference to it.

Many thanks for reading this.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi ed - I am confused but I have just checked again and at tickover - because I am under the car - air is coming out.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I can't really identify the part in the picture but my 156 is likely to be different.
Try plugging the draft and see what happens. A boost leak would certainly account for loss of power and smoke.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi thanks for the suggestion, yes I will try plugging it - Its in the middle of the bottom of the air filter housing. the editor says it should be sucking which makes sense to me. I would like to understand what it is, why its there, is it as it should be or has a part come off?

going to plug it now

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
There's a rubber button/bung/valve as standard..

I always thought it was a drain to let any water out that you might have sucked up.. Whilst driving along the suction from the turbo keeps it closed, when you stop the engine it releases suction and allows water to drain out...

FWIW I'd just source a new airbox with an intact bung/button thing...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
thank you I will get a new housing. In the meantime I have bunged it up. I will find out in the morning whether it makes any difference. Many thanks I will let you know how I get on.

BTW I originally checked the air flow on tick over with a piece of paper and it was blown away from the holes but checking it with a piece of card on tick over the air flow is actually pulsating and at 2000 revs with wife on throttle it was sucking.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Is that oil on the bottom of your airbox? Where's that coming from?

Have you got a leak or a split in a hose that leads to the turbo? That would cause a whistle you mentioned and loss of power.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
There's a rubber button/bung/valve as standard..

I always thought it was a drain to let any water out that you might have sucked up.. Whilst driving along the suction from the turbo keeps it closed, when you stop the engine it releases suction and allows water to drain out...

FWIW I'd just source a new airbox with an intact bung/button thing...
You learn something new everyday. This makes a lot of sense.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi what oil? the last picture is of the VNT mounted on the back of the air filtr housing and from underneath the car.

I have spent and enjoyable - not, afternoon and evening removing airbox, air filter pipes etc to find out where the oil was coming from. Right at the end as I was replacing the last hose I noticed the split. Lower hose on the top side. _ I have seen this elsewhere on the forum.

In the process I aslo found some other problems the upper plastic hose was hard and split and the hose clip loose

The Map sensor 4th picture was well caked

For those that cant find the MAF sensor its under the battery and you have to remove the battery and battery tray to get at it. Took me a long time to find it. I changed the clutch and flywheel a couple of months back so I should have know where it was. The Maf looks clean but it doesn't come apart - Bosch part dated 2013 so it has been replaced before I acquired the car.

Another problem I had was the original hose clips. They tightened on the wrench but on checking the hose itself was still lose.

oh one more photo - the air filter - I have owned the car 9 months and kept putting it off.

So its back together but with tape repairing the leaks. Will order new parts and fit them in the week.

The vacuum works the exterior of the turbo ok but whether the vanes are moving I don't know. I have a video of that working - can we load those to the forum?

I have already removed and blanked off the EGR

Don't know if I have fixed my problems - will find out tomorrow when I go for a drive. Will let you know and hopefully it will help someone else.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Good god man.....

Time to order some new silicone hose from Autolusso! They'll probably have a few 1.9 JTDm airboxes on the shelf too as they've always got GT's in being broken...

New filter, new airbox, new hoses... Give evertyhing a good clean up, and you'll have a happy car :thumbup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hi good news - no great news. patched up hoses cleaned filter and reassembled - went great today 300 mile round trip. now as the editor says to order the parts and do a proper job. Ordered a silicone lower hose. not sure about the maf to turbo hose though. I want to remove the crankcase breather hose and anyway Autolusso's price is too high for that silicone hose. I suspect the inlet manifold is full of crap so I want to remove clean and remove the swirl flaps.

Oil and filter and air filter change as soon as I get the parts.

But at least I know what I need to do to make it run properly before I have the remap.

many thanks to all you guys for posting your experiences. I have spent more time reading these than working on the car.

I will let you know how I get on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts