Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I currently have a 2004 156 1.9 jtd m-jet, I'm thinking about buying a 2.4 pre facelift jtd and was just wondering if anyone had any advice, thoughts, preferences etc as to what to expect.
I've looked at the specs, performance, mpg, bhp etc and they look very similar but as I have never owned or driven a 2.4, just wondering what they were like comparison wise.
my saab 2.2 diesel shows very similar specs to my 1.9 alfa but to drive they are nothing like, going from the alfa to the saab is like going from a Ferrari to a tractor in terms of noise and performance, only I think the saab is worse on diesel than your average tractor.
can I expect much the same from the 2.4 jtd or are they quite good?
Any advice or personal experience / opinions is greatly appreciated.
also anything to look out for on a 2.4 potential major problem wise.
my 1.9 engine has done a quarter of a million miles and taken me all over the country without missing a beat, can I expect the same reliability?
cheers guys

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
2.4 10v is a lovely engine. I've got one as well as a 1.9 16v, I prefer the 10v as an engine, it has loads more character, sounds better & feels nippier, especially off boost. But there is nothing wrong with the 16v and in all honestly the 16v is probably the sensible choice.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Generally the 5 pot 2.4 10v is pretty solid. Its output is very reserved considering the size of the engine.

You get a 5 pot burble. Can remap it close to 200hp and it'll cope with it all day long. The power delivery is much broader too given the capacity of the engine. It will also be a little smoother.

But its a big engine. Inline 5 is a squeeze in that chassis.

The 1.9 can deliver similar performance albeit a bit rougher and the front of the car is lighter too. It's also more common so spares are cheaper.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that, not looking forward to more weight at the front though, 1.9 already feels nose heavy after the last couple of twin sparks I had.

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
You can get about 40kg out of the engine bay if you like. I binned off the full A/C system, power steering cooler & pipes, lots of trims, brackets, sound deadening, engine covers etc. Battery is in the boot, battery tray is gone. Although you could do the same on the 1.9 16v JTD and then it really would feel nimble like a Twinspark.

·
Premium Member
2,038 Posts
Hi all, I currently have a 2004 156 1.9 jtd m-jet, I'm thinking about buying a 2.4 pre facelift jtd and was just wondering if anyone had any advice, thoughts, preferences etc as to what to expect.
I've looked at the specs, performance, mpg, bhp etc and they look very similar but as I have never owned or driven a 2.4, just wondering what they were like comparison wise.
my saab 2.2 diesel shows very similar specs to my 1.9 alfa but to drive they are nothing like, going from the alfa to the saab is like going from a Ferrari to a tractor in terms of noise and performance, only I think the saab is worse on diesel than your average tractor.
can I expect much the same from the 2.4 jtd or are they quite good?
Any advice or personal experience / opinions is greatly appreciated.
also anything to look out for on a 2.4 potential major problem wise.
my 1.9 engine has done a quarter of a million miles and taken me all over the country without missing a beat, can I expect the same reliability?
cheers guys
I like my 1.9, it's punchy with plenty of torque even if it is a bag of spanners when cold. Both the 1.9 and 2.4 respond well to tuning if it's done properly and you can push into the boundaries of 200bhp and 300f/lbs with the stock clutch and turbo (1.9). There's no doubt that the 2.4 sounds better but diesel is diesel and it will clatter (diggy diggy diggy). My uncle had a 2004 Saab 9-3 Aero with practically the same 1.9 as my Alfa but the Saab is heavy and I mean a good 200kg heavier than the 147/156 give or take, so the performance is very different. In the 147/156 the 1.9 feels nippy and given that when I'm not careful (even with an LSD) I can spin the wheels in 3rd imagine what a sorted 2.4 will do. :evil: It's a nice dilemma to have though :thumbs:

You can get about 40kg out of the engine bay if you like. I binned off the full A/C system, power steering cooler & pipes, lots of trims, brackets, sound deadening, engine covers etc. Battery is in the boot, battery tray is gone. Although you could do the same on the 1.9 16v JTD and then it really would feel nimble like a Twinspark.
No A/C?? That means on the two hot days a year in the UK you'll end up fusing with the leather, as I found out the other day when my A/C packed in. :furious: How is that project 156 going? (boot battery etc) :thumbs:

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
No A/C?? That means on the two hot days a year in the UK you'll end up fusing with the leather, as I found out the other day when my A/C packed in. :furious: How is that project 156 going? (boot battery etc) :thumbs:
Slowly, I've had one of my technicians on paternity leave and I've managed to do my back in so not made very much progress. Just ordered replacement power & earth cables for it yesterday so they should be here this week with any luck. Went for 350A rated cabling as the previous stuff was only rated to 170A and the starter draws just about that much.

On my last 156, I pulled out the A/C and fitted sport leather just before driving to France in the middle of summer - not my smartest move ever!

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
If you have spares from a 166 the battery is already in the boot and the cables should we long enough to run the cables too.

I did away with the aircon like pud in the twinnie - never got round to moving the battery though.

Both engines are great. I'd probably pick on condition rather than a definitive decider on the 4 or 5 pot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts