Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a quote from celtic tuning for a remap which will increase the bhp from 150 to 212.

Im not sure if this would cause the car any damage with the extra power??

Celtic tuning said they could remap it to 170bhp if i preffered which is the same as the Q2
version.......they reckon that the engines are identical and that it is a factory remap that gives the Q2 more power?

Not sure if they are correct but would appreciate any advice on remaps :thumbs:

The remap would cost £300

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Firstly Celtic are a well established company with a good reputation on the other forums I have been involved with.

General consensus is pushing much past 200bhp starts to impede reliability due to the increased torque putting strain on components, though any increase over manufacturers spec will begin to reduce the life of certain load bearing parts.

I also heard that the 170bhp GT sold by Alfa is simply remapped and is exactly the same engine.

Gus at Alfatune does a lot of remaps for members on here with many happy customers. He is reasonably close to you - St Helens if I recall...

£300 sounds reasonable.

G

·
212 bhp sounds to be pushing it a bit - although presumably they can't claim it without the rolling road figures to back it up.
Standard 1.9's can give something like 155-163 bhp once run in apparently - so 170 is not much of a stretch. The important thing for most people is driveability however not ultimate power.

The 170's are factory remaps to the best of my knowledge.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice everyone

Think i might go for the remap to around 180? should not be too much for the car to handle but should make a decent difference in power :cool:

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
If your car is 2006+ then you have JTDm engine, which is better. Same power as the old one, but better (there is a whole list of changes). You can tune those ones safely to ~190BHP and more if you are lucky.

Older 150BHP engines are JTD 16V multi-jets, and those can do 175-180BHP.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
One thing I think all of you are forgetting is when you floor the standard 1.9 the charge temps rise pretty quickly. This is because the standard intercooler isn't really up to the job. If you are really going for the remap i'd get a larger after market front mounted intercooler put in as well. You'll get better gains and the engine will run at a safer temp when really pushing it which should help with reliability!

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Yes the 170bhp version is just a remap, personally I'd always go for the most power you can get, if you're worried about the clutch etc then get the torque low down limited but keep the top end stuff ... at the end of the day if you go for a "lower" map you know that nagging feeling in the back of your mind that you could have had more :lol:

another thing worth considering is getting the EGR switched off in the map, I don't know if Celtic can do this (worth an ask), but Gus at AlfaTune can :thumbs:

Oh I had my car remapped (by AHM) from 150bhp to about 200bhp about 40k ago and I haven't had any problems, my car now has 130k and it's still on the original clutch :eek:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After reading all the comments i think i will get it remapped to 200bhp max...

A ride down to Alfatune is more than likely gonna happen as everyone has only good things to say about their experiances!!

Thanks for all the comments everyone :):)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts