Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything in it?

Where does the 10bhp make a difference apart from top end mph?

Fuel consumption seems about the same...

is one any more reliable than the other, given equal maintenance?

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
2.0 has no balance belt and from what ive read on here over years 1.8 seems more revvy and 2.0 torquier ....no doubt ill be shot down from twinnie owners :cheese:

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
I think you mean dave the 1.8 has no balance belt:)

My first 156 was a brand new one back in 1998 and I enjoyed it very much - except for the brakes, which had solid 284mm discs at the front (later improved with vented at the front and the larger 276mm discs at the rear). Very revvy and nicely balanced steering.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
I think you mean dave the 1.8 has no balance belt:)

My first 156 was a brand new one back in 1998 and I enjoyed it very much - except for the brakes, which had solid 284mm discs at the front (later improved with vented at the front and the larger 276mm discs at the rear). Very revvy and nicely balanced steering.
typing to fast well spotted :thumbs:

L

·
0 Posts
On the track the 2.o will get to 60 faster than the 1.8 & will reach higher top speeds. In day to day driving, real life, the 1.8 is a more ecomnical engine returning better mpg than the 2 litre. But the 2 litre is a more driver friendly car, its more capable. if you remove the balance belt it frees upa few more ponies but make the engine feel roughier at higher rev's.

L

·
0 Posts
well consumption is the same and maintenance is pretty much the same too with the exemption of the balancing shafts....so one belt more once in a while...I would go for the extra 11hp and some torque :)
+ the balance belt tensioner.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I enjoyed the 1.8 TS for six years, very revvy, great sound, and all round good engine if looked after. Also understand that this is the TS as originally designed, and therefore longer lasting than the 2.0lt. If you do a lot of motorway driving though, you might want a bit more overall power, but it never bothered me.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
I had the 2.0 ... therefore I'm going to say it's better for no apparent reason :thumbs:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Well I only said it for no apparent reason really (sort of!), both wiil be fun, I would concentrate on getting a good car rather than whether 1.8/2.0Lt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts