Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As my title suggests, is it possible to replace the standard 1.8TS brakes for 2.0TS brakes and calipers.

If it is possible does it require any special adaptors? Or is it straight fit?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so the calipers are the same no difference between 1.8 and 2.0 mine are solid discs at the moment on a 1999 1.8. I thought i had to upgrade the calipers to take the vented brakes?

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
If you have the solid discs then you need the vented disc calipers too

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
brakeparts.co.uk are listing a different part number for callipers for vented and non-vented discs.

Easy enough change though. Unbolt the calliper sliders, remove the carrier, remove the disc. Swap everything over and bleed the system.

Only difficulty might be undoing the hydraulic line to the calliper if it's rusted up...

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
If you've not got an assistant, get a one-man (or woman :lol:) bleeding kit. Attach it to the bleed screw and undo it, check the fluid level in the reservoir, pump the brakes a few times, tighten the screw, test the pedal pressure and repeat if necessary. Once done, remove the kit, top-up the reservoir with new (ie not used) fluid and off you go :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sounds so easy lol.........the potential for me to mess up is high.

Trouble is a garage probably wouldn't do it either i guess?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Any idea on the cost for them doing it?

Thing is i need some brakes anyway and have always been underwhelmed with the standard 1.8TS brakes so thought it must be an improvement to go vented?

·
Registered
9,179 Posts
The standard 2.0 vented discs aren't that hot either! Same used on later 1.8 and 2.5 V6 as well.

Might just be worth trying better pads ... although if the discs are worn or scored badly, new pads won't really help. Just replacing the pads may make things worse until the pad is also scored to match! Brake fluid also "goes off" over time and ought to be replaced completely every couple of years. New Super Dot 4 or even 5.1 fluid could help.

So you could stick with the solid discs and replace them with new ones and new (better) pads ... and also replace the brake fluid by bleeding each wheel off to replace the fluid in the calipers and lines.

or replace calipers, caliper mountings, add new vented discs and new pads for vented discs (they are also different), and then go through the bleed/flushing process. Might be worth replacing the flexible brake lines as these can get soft over time as well. And the old ones have to be disconnected to replace the calipers.

Your choice .. and money! ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts