Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to transplant a 1.8 or 2.0 crank in a 1.6 engine to get the higher cc?
I read somewhere that installing a 2.0 crank in 1.6 is possible, however the block is shorter and the pistons come out of the block by 6mm. Is it possible to use a copper gasket to compensate for the height difference?
The reason i'm asking is because living in Cyprus like i do, where all mods are almost prohibided, you cannot easily put a 2.0 engine in a 1.6, so an easy way to do it would be to change all the internals of the 1.6 so no one would know you have a 2.0!

·
Registered
29,994 Posts
6mm would be one hell of a gasket!!

I don't know if the bore centres are the same in the 1.6 & 2.0, that could be your biggest obstacle.
It may be possible using a 1.8 block.

I guess you want to use std parts to keep the costs down. Special pistons and/or rods would get over the 6mm height difference but I expect there would still need to be machining inside the block to get clearance.

AHM or Alfatuner may know for sure if it is even possible, but like most things it is unlikely to be easy!

·
Premium Member
45,021 Posts
There are two different types of 1.6 engine - I think the very early 1.6 TS engines in the 156 are different to the later ones commonly found in the 147..

·
Registered
37,151 Posts
I heard that as well Dan.

The 1.6 fitted to the 156 was based on the 1.8, where as the later 1.6 fitted to the 147 was based on the 1.4 TS that we didn't get in the uk and it had a shorter block.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what i heard in the greek forums, the older 1.6 that was installed on 146 was *** tall sd the 2.0
The later ones installed on the 156 was shorter.
2.0 would need to overbore the cylinders, so my best shot is using the 1.8 crank and rods which have the same diameter as the 1.6
However i just need to make sure that they would actually fit, before starting to source parts and dismantling the engine.

·
Premium Member
45,021 Posts
Which 1.6 engine do you have? The very early 156s (all CF2 1.6 TS as far as I know) got the old 146 engine that uses the same block as the 2.0 and 1.8. The CF3 engines are all short blocks that I know of.

Also, why not just fit a 1.8 engine anyway? You can barely see the identity plates on the engines when they are installed in the car, and 90% of the time they are rusted to hell and un-readable anyway. If you had a 2.0 the balance belts would give it away so you can't do that..

·
Registered
162 Posts
who is going to rebuild the engine?who is your mechanic?after that you must change your username to kyriakosmeNtal!:p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts