Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just wondering a little about the engine character in my 155. I thought it would be a revvy little devil that will spin upp to 7000rpm very happily and give more power the higher the revs... Somehow this is not the case. Compared to a Peug Mi16 I used to own once, the Peug was litterally dead below 3000rpm and after 4000rpm it bursted to a powerful engine and pulled all the way up to the redline. In the 155, the car has good power around 3-4000rpm but in a way it feels silly to rev it up to more than 5000rpm... That is where I feel that power developement stops and going on to 7000rpm does not make any bigger difference.... :confused: Is this normal or do I need to check my S-plugs, Airflow meter, or any other ideas? I replaced the airfilter to a green cotton open filter but there was no significiant difference on the higher revs.

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
Might be worth checking the air filter isnt clogged up at all, Mine was like this, felt flatter after about 6200rpm,

seemed better to rev it to 6000rpm change gear and the revs would drop to about 4000rpm which is the engines peak torque area for the next gear,

:D

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fletch, the Mi 16 came in two phases phase 1 with 1,9 engine and 147bhp and phase 2 with 2,0 enigne and 150bhp.... Mine was a 1,9... :D

AlfaJack, I have changed the filter and am using an open Green Cotton filter. :D

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
im running the same car as you and gotta admit i dont really go over 6000 because there is no gain. you could try cleaning the airflow meter with some carb spray and inside throttle boddy with the same but do not touch the airflow meter as its just a piece of glass with platinum circiut on (ive broken one) just spray into inlet pipe as engine running. its hard to tell what the problem could be or even if there is one :( if you lived closer you could have a go of mine to compare it ;)

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
El Toro the power loss you are experiancing might be down to whats been discussed in your other thread ,.................namely the Variator if its worn and noisy it won`t be working properly and therefore not advancing your timing correctly ;) :D

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the 1.8litre 16v might just be like this. I remember at Keswick Andy struggling to keep with everybody in his when everyone put the foot down.

·
Registered
835 Posts
marlon said:
I think the 1.8litre 16v might just be like this. I remember at Keswick Andy struggling to keep with everybody in his when everyone put the foot down.
*shock* this sounds like you might have been speeding ;)

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Na...thats just 'cos Andy was so used to driving a FORD :cheese:

wrinx

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I wouldn't say it's characteristic either - mine starts to pick up about 3500 revs (useless below) and keeps going until over 6k, where the only reason to keep going higher if for the nice screamy sound...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My car does have a squadra chip in, so the variator thing is doing its bit much lower down i beleave, but i carnt say ive ever really understood this.

Anyway, my car has a healthy amount of torque below 3000, pulls well to 5000, stutters a little at 5500, and then takes off at 6500, the rev counter really starts to get a move on then.
The recent petrol pipe fix has made the car run better than it has all year, but thats my fault for not having the money to service the car ( i have a V6 155 too... money pit!)

So in a nutshell, the engine in my car pulls harder the more its reved and goes nuts above 6500 and it always did.

Having said that the 1.8 16V isnt a particular fast car, the 2.0 16v engine is far better

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I wouldn't say I'm dissapointed about my 1.8 16V. The pull is fairly constant after about 4000rpm. I still gives a little kick at about 6500rpm though. The Pug engine was tuned for out and out power, whereas the Alfa unit is not just for rev heads. Just remember that the 155 is a considerably heavier car than the 405 MI16. I may not look it, but all the extra tech bits, sound deadening and safety things all have to be paid for. :(

·
Registered
69 Posts
Mine has got a double kick...a major one at about 3500rpm and a slight kick but very noticeable at about 5500 rpm. But then again (not to sure if it's related), mine is fitted with 2.0 engine.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
marlon said:
no! no! i think i've leant have to drive it now! ;) just rev the swollocks out it! :D :D then she'll soon move, with it being a 16v! i have found it has abit of a flat spot when pulling off could be somthing to do with the trottle body!
and another thing! she was in the car with me so evey time a go over 85mph i get an ear bash :rolleyes:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've got a 97 1.8 16v and its exactly like everyone else has described...Feels quite slow and 'heavy' upto 3500rpm and then it takes off...

I find I drive around a lot in 3rd when I would normally be in 4th... cos it pulls better and sounds better that way!

Kind of got used to it now, but it would be nice to get more torque lower down if anyone knows an answer???

Anyway, I've had the beast 6 months and no regrets...

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't think your engine sounds like it's running right, i have a 2.0 16v and it kicks about 3500 revs and pulls hard up to the 7200 rev limiter. I'd expect the 1.8 to do the same, in a similar fashion to your pug. I'd have said check your air filter, but as you have check your plugs.
Does it actually pull round to the red line or does it top out before it gets there?
Cream, from what i can make out the variator kicks in when a certain load is reached, not a certain revs. It can kick in as low as 1800 revs if it needs to.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Having driven a 1.8 16v for 5 years... i love the car and the engine... but the simple fact is that when i drove chris155's 2.0 16v i was stunned in the first mile as to how different the engine felt. Further thrashing down A roads proved what a hoot the engine was, pulling far harder and with quite a different sound, far more rorty !!
The only good part about it was my car went round corners like it was glued down on where as chris's felt a lot softer.

So the charater of the 1.8 and the 2.0 are not the same, although both will rev to 7k without a problem, but the 1.8 needs to be caned far harder to make it fast

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My first thinking is the variator isn't right.

The variator does its thing and gives you 'extra' power (if you wish) from about 5 upwards. If the variator is duff... you won't get that extra pull and will feel slightly flat.

Does your car sound rattly and a bit like a diesel on idle? if so.. this would also point to the variator

Regards

J

1 - 20 of 32 Posts