Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a knackered engine and have found a 2.0 selespeed engine as a possible replacement was hoping this will fit with my gearbox

M

·
0 Posts
It will fit your gearbox but your ecu wont be mapped for it and you cant use a selspeed ecu in it

M

·
0 Posts
Go with Smaky as I would take his word as he is longer at it then me..

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Yes, as the timing is the same and they both had the variable inlet manifold then the ECU has control of all that it needs, if you were fiting a 2.0 into a 1.6 then you'd have a problem but your not so it'll be OK, AS LONG AS THE COIL PACK SETUP IS THE SAME.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Alex, its a 1.8TS not a 1.6TS

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
how will i know bout the coil set up???
remove the top engine cover of both engines

fit the 1.8TS ecu & throttle body onto the 'selespeed' 2.0L ts engine ... i assume its not a JTS....

also get the paperwork on your log book changed & inform your insuracne co. of changes made:)

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
yes, thats it in a nut shell

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
will there be any gearing issues... i guess not as the abs system is 'tuned' to the 1.8 gearbox rather than to the engine, one thousand rev of a 2L is the same as 1000rpm of 1.8, just might use more fuel.... you see the 2L g/box has a higher final drive to match the extra power of the 2L engine

M

·
0 Posts
Dont forget to use the 1.8 clutch as the 3 litre clutch is different

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Dont forget to use the 1.8 clutch as the 3 litre clutch is different
would he not need a TWO Litre clutch for the extra power?

AFAIK the selespeed clutch won;t work for him, least the trust bearing won;t anyways

M

·
0 Posts
Sorry tippo as the number 2 button fell off but the driving discs are different splines..

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
very good info for anyone else thinking of similar 'selespeed' engine transfer into a 1.8TS gearboxed car :thumbs:

we make a great team the 3 of us :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks everyone just spoke to autolusso and they said would have to have a 2.0 ecu and be more trouble than the worth of it???

1 - 20 of 21 Posts